Favorite Albums of 2017

Nasa

8 hours ago, ungroovy said:

I think the first time I've ever seen you list off things you like and have known things from all of the artists you mention. Hell yuh.

I forgot I listened to Kendrick Lamar and I don't get the love for that album. It's not bad, but I just ...ehhhhhh.

23 hours ago, Elisa said:

Yeah. Those songs didn't really do it for me and it's weird because they're one of those bands that can't go wrong, I was so happy about this record coming out.. they're announcing a few shows in Europe next summer, I'll still go see them if there is an Italian date though. 

I think it's their third best album after DBT and SooL

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I forgot I listened to Kendrick Lamar and I don't get the love for that album. It's not bad, but I just ...ehhhhhh.

Good Kid mAAd City is the only album of his I still listen to. I got why TPAB was important, but I just didn't like it that much. DAMN was not amazing, but a few bangers for sure. Kendrick is an excellent feature artist, his verses are just sharper. I dunno what happens when he's on his own, I think the content of the lyrics are more important than creating songs for him, which is totally fine I guess but it just doesn't sound awesome. Like the lyrics are clever and talk about a lot of important and intelligent things, but they flow funny and the songs, while well-produced and mixed, are just not that interesting. The samples make them more interesting sometimes.

To a much smaller degree given that she doesn't really try for much deep content it's like Nicki Minaj. I dunno what the fuck Pink Friday and its extended universe was.

DAMN. is okay. It's really overrated in the public eye, imo. I think that when Kendrick tries to go mainstream, he can't nail it like he can with more artistic statements like Good Kid, M.A.A.D City or To Pimp A Butterfly. He's not built for that, in my view.

I also can't get into the Menzingers. I've tried! But they bore me.

DAMN wasn't that deep compared to his previous works, definitely a step down from TPAB and Good Kid. I still listen to a few songs of it every now and then and DNA is a banger but I always come back to TPAB and Good Kid when I want to listen to Kendrick.

Too bad I still feel like I grew out of my Tyler The Creator phase. I loved him early on around Bastard and continued to like him until Cherry Bomb (I enjoyed that album too) but I haven't come back around to listening to Flower Boy. I'll do it when I'm in the right mood. 

Not a lot of albums that i loved this year. Strangely i like a lot of pop singles from this year though.

The biggest poppunk song: Neck Deep - In Bloom, Bummed the record didn't match that gem of a song.

Albums i enjoyed:

Paramore - After Laughter (Boring on first listen, Gets more deep, clever and colourful as the weeks fly by, Can't wait to blast this in the summer)

The Midnight - Nocturnal (Best synthwave band around, Feels like music from an 80s inspired dystopian Blade Runner world)

Taylor Swift - Reputation (I feel like being attacted for this one, I like the instrumentation and everything, solid pop) And she looks fine as hell now she packed on a little weight/muscle

Foster The People - Sacred Hearts Club (Always had a soft spot for this band, some serious good songs, fresh for them)

Blink-182 - California DLX (Because blink-182) Unfair to say how good/bad this is when you just have a soft spot for the group) Can't say i listen to it these days, but it has some of the better songs since the blink reboot.

All Time Low - Last Young Renegade (The whole aesthetic and production feels like a solid piece of work, Favourite record by them)

9 hours ago, Kay said:

I tried to listen to that Menzingers record like 10 times, I still think it's boring as shit. 

It's definitely not their strongest album. I'd put On the Impossible Past and Rented World ahead of it, have you checked those out? I'd say 1/3 of After the Party is really strong, another 1/3 is pretty good, and the other 1/3 is decent to meh. 

Their lyrics are definitely the best part. Songs like Lookers, After the Party, Thick as Thieves, etc. are fantastic. 

• Like 1