Ry-Bread

Blink-182 Signature Study

2/7/2018 Update: Hi guys, I wrote this in 2015 on another autograph collecting site but I am wanting to move it here, as I feel this is where it's rightful home should be. I get comments somewhat often and I'd rather that traffic come here. I have also updated it for the first time in a few years, and will likely keep it updated more often here. So here it goes... 

Over the past several years, I have been compiling authentic exemplars, and working hard to put them within a specific date range. This gives us a nice way of seeing how the band's signatures have looked/evolved over time. It's also incredibly interesting to me, which is why I enjoy putting these things together. I have studied and collected autographs for over a decade, and with Blink being my favorite band I thought there needed to be some sort of topic on this, for current collectors, future collectors, and just basic historical documentation.

If you have anything signed by anyone in the band, please post it, along with the date if possible. If you got it signed personally, a description of the scene is beneficial. (i.e. VIP experience, rushed crowd, sitting at a table signing, etc.)

My primary focus is going to be Mark, Tom, and Travis. There will also be examples from original drummer Scott Raynor, and current guitarist Matt Skiba.

Let's start with Tom. (For each of the members of the band I have put together a giant compilation of authentic signatures, accompanied by the year.) Tom has gone through several different signature styles. For most of the earlier years he would sign "Tom Blink", Usually you can just make out the "T" and the "B" as it is quite sloppy, but he consistently signed this way from 1997-2002ish. Here is a nicer example of this:

aWj1F9u.png

Here is an example @daveyjones provided from May, 1996:

8hq4JRB.jpg

Around 2002-2003 we start seeing different signature styles from Tom. Some that resemble "TD" (which will eventually become his main signature), some as crazy as drawing "tom" out of dicks:

7K0OTqb.png

amyOxhd.png

Around 2006, when "Angels & Airwaves" was formed, Tom decided to shorten his sig. The result was a "T". What a great autograph! LOL. Here is an example of a 2006 Tom autograph, on a "We Don't Need To Whisper" pre-ordered CD:

ZUc4Set.jpg

Thankfully this didn't last too long, and shortly after we started seeing his "TD" signature. There are a few variations of this "TD", including "TD AVA", "TD 182". Here are some nice 2011 autographs:

ZDnW49E.png

WMTz6LT.png

It stays this way, until 2013 when we see a new variation appear. This one I simply call the "Tom Doodle", in which case he writes TOM, and then creates a little stick figure in the middle, it's very cool:

stmI8TT.png

Currently, Tom signs with the "TD" as well as the "Tom Doodle". He is very aware of the item being signed, if it is a Blink cd, he often will write "TD 182", sometimes he will date items, ex: "TD 2017". His new company is "To The Stars", sometimes he will add that as a line to his signature. He has released several books, and has had quite a few book signings. At the signings people get the simple "TD" autograph, but if you order a personalized copy from the website, you might get the full out "Tom Doodle":

8exDWCZ.png

Another funny thing about Tom, is that sometimes when he is signing a picture of himself, he likes to draw on himself. Here are a few funny examples:

pTzubBG.png

Here is the full compilation I created for Tom (click to enlarge), the dates are below the pictures. Once again, if you have any signed items I would love to see them:

xdlMWrc.png

Next let's talk about Mark Hoppus. Mark's autograph has been fairly consistent throughout the years, although he did go through a very odd signature faze around 2001. From the early days of Blink all the way through 2001-ish, Mark would simply write "Mark Hoppus", "Mark", or "Mark 182". Here is an example from 1995 that @daveyjones provided, Davey said Mark signed "Mark Hoppus" consistently through spring of 1996, before switching to "Mark 182".

d2xsnbV.jpg

Here is a nice prime "Mark 182"  example from 1999:

5PkmY45.png

Suddenly around 2001 we start seeing this super weird signature from Mark that looks nothing like his previous (or current) signature. It's a weird "MH" with a "star" and "182" underneath it. Here is an example of it:

ZBXJ3ev.png

I would love to ask him why the sudden change! Regardless, it didn't last long. By the end of 2003 he was back to his old signature style, this time adding "Hoppus" to the end regularly (instead of "Mark 182").  Ever since the revert back to his "normal" signature, it has stayed pretty consistent from 2003 to present time. Here is a 2006 signature of Mark's:

HzOfgOB.png

And here is a  2015 Signature:

aun4QPq.png

Sometimes Mark will add "blink-182" (always a lower case “b”!) to his signature as seen above, other times he will write the year, but most of the time it's just "Mark Hoppus".

Here is the compilation of Mark's signatures I put together:

Uvw4D8r.png

Last we have my favorite member of the band: Travis Barker. Travis joined Blink-182 towards the end of 1998, and in 1999 became their full-time drummer. Travis has a few variations of his autograph, but for the most part he has always just written: "travis". Here is an awesome signature from 1999:

vdJguwf.png

Eventually he made it slightly cooler, it flowed much more quickly, there were capital letters added, and the "S" at the end became a "$" sign, here's a nice sig later in 1999:

EmfVW35.png

From 2000-2001, (likely due to having to sign so much IMO), Travis developed a "short sig", which essentially is "t-----". Here are a few examples from 2000-2001:

nIrMVUt.png

1RM03Yo.png

In 2002 he resorts back to his "tRAVi$" sig as seen here:

uC3BXmc.png

Around 2003, he starts putting the "R" backwards, (his signature is basically the same as this today):

p5axZv2.png

Around 2011-2012 he went back to the "short sig" for some reason, here are a few examples:

mwIlBvX.png

vpDNsVn.png

BUT, from 2013 to currently, he's back to normal long "travi$" signature (most of the time, I HAVE seen him do the short sig on the recent California 2017 tour posters). Here's a 2015 signature:

k05dMtK.png

Here is the timeline I put together for Travis:

EVoKkIB.png

Here are some AUTHENTIC examples of Blink albums, signed in their correct time period (i.e. not a Cheshire Cat album someone got signed last week):

2jl8GnF.jpg (Scott Raynor instead of Travis)

xKnXKxV.jpg (Scott Raynor instead of Travis)

yxQ72zE.jpg (Travis missing)

I6BHSLQ.jpg (TOYPAJ is often signed on the back, due to the black front cover. To this day I still see them sign the back sometimes)

Gpxm3Bp.jpg

Wx4ZMd4.jpg

vQPDubc.jpg (Skiba instead of Tom)

QDZL43K.jpg (Skiba instead of Tom)

Here are some AUTHENTIC items signed by Mark/Tom/Travis throughout the years:

1999 Promo:
oAsMJsw.jpg

2002 TOYPAJ Promo (Notice Mark has switched to MHSTAR sig)
EJP8UaK.jpg

2002 Xbox signed by Blink/Green Day. You can actually see them sign these here, and Mark makes fun of Tom's horrible signature: 

https://youtu.be/gQXAu-UsIM4?t=10m41s

Tqs8T4g.jpg

2004 Tour Poster:
VgddmZc.jpg

2011 Tour Poster:
y7JHVU9.jpg

2013 Untitled Reunion Show Poster. (Given to VIPs):
SVxkyqr.jpg

2013 Setlist (Tom Doodle):

3tgirvX.png

Here are some AUTHENTIC "Angels and Airwaves" and "+44" items signed in their correct time period:

2006 WDNTW:

2s7d5xv.png (Ryan Sinn)

2007 i-Empire:
wt7XuYi.png (Matt Wachter replaced Ryan Sinn)

2010 LOVE:
k1kvbF4.png

2011 Love 2:
xb0IOZ5.png (Atom had left, these are often signed by Ilan as he toured the album)

2006 Cliff Diving 7":

Vv2ae7y.jpg

+44 Album + promo poster:
fSAB2qh.png

Another +44 album, this one signed on the inside cover. A lot of +44 albums are signed on the inside, sometimes a few band members would sign the front, some the inside, some the cd, etc. It's random! Mark added "+44" inscription on some which I enjoy:

nvNh1zu.jpg

In regards to Boxcar Racer, I have NEVER seen one signed album sleeve that was signed in 2002 by the band. Recently Tom has re-issued the album on vinyl, and had signed copies on his website so you may see some of those. But a signed BCR cd would be extremely rare, and especially if it was signed by the full band back in the day. Here a few BCR items that are authentic from that time period, Travis had a short "T$" signature briefly:

sDsiI5N.jpg

K5s2isO.jpg (Travis signed this twice)

Here is what the 2017 Vinyl signed by Tom will look like:

CC18VxO.jpg

Here is a CD signed in 2017:

kz2556D.jpg

Now that we've gone through Tom, Mark, and Travis's autographs, I want to mention a few important things as well as exhibit some forgeries:

*Fully signed Blink CDs/vinyl/photos are pretty rare--photos especially. Most of the authentic photos you will see signed are specific promo photos that were handed out, or for contest winners,etc.

*If you are looking for something signed by Tom/Mark/Travis your best bet is the 2012, 2013, 2014 X-mas Posters, these are usually affordable and if you don't like the "Xmas theme", simply cut off the autographs at the bottom and matte them with your favorite picture of Blink. (see example of mine below). Other options would be 2004 Disaster tour posters, and 2013 Untitled posters.

Here is a 2012 X-mas poster I had, where I cut off the autographs at the bottom, and used them to make a cool display that wasn't X-mas themed:
ZHYtZzD.jpg

*If you are looking for something signed by Travis/Mark/Skiba, your best bet is the California cds/vinyl/drumheads sold during California pre-orders.

*The band hardly ever "hung out" publicly, so it's not like you were going to walk into a restaurant and see all 3 sitting there and have them sign something. Backstage passes at a show, or some sort of promo were about your only shot at getting all 3 at once. (Travis says in his book that after his plane crash/recovery him and Tom went to lunch and Tom said "This is the first time we've done this...")

*Out of the 3, Travis signs the most. 

*Until recently, Tom was a very hard signature to obtain, other than through specific promotions via Blink 182/Angels & Airwaves/MacBeth website. 

*Mark signs a few here and there, but overall is a fairly rare signature.  

*All 3 have their own companies (Famous Stars & Straps, To The Stars, HMNIM), occasionally you can get signed stuff directly from these places. (Tom/Travis usually have signed books for sale.)

*Travis DOES NOT FLY, he does take the Queen Elizabeth to the UK occasionally for a tour, but if you see "signed" stuff for sale from Switzerland/Australia/etc. be incredibly skeptical!

Now onto the FORGERIES. There are thousands of forgeries sold on eBay every single day. Some basic rules of thumb for buying autographs online in general:

* If it seems too good to be true, it is

*ANYONE can create a bogus "COA"

*"Proof Pix" usually don't prove ANYTHING

*Always pay attention to the SIGNATURES, not the paperwork that comes with them

I have seen all types of Blink fakes, ranging from flatout laughable, to halfway decent attempts. One of the ways scammers like to make a quick buck, is to grab all their old CDs, scribble on them, and list them as being "signed", so be incredibly weary of signed cheap CDs.

Here is an example of someone who scribbled on their "Enema of The State" cd and sold it on eBay:

qfPjMe2.jpg

With forgeries in general, you can tell when something is "unnatural" for the forger. Typically it results in a very slow (and thick as a result) signature, often shaky, and just malformed. Here is an example of a Tom Delonge Forgery (and all of AVA) that is just awful and malformed. You can see how "shaky" it is (because it is not a natural motion for the forger):

eoJyGWV.jpg

Here are a few more AVA WDNTW forgeries, I confirmed these with both Atom/Ryan Sinn:

k6IsZmh.jpg

5alAfqp.jpg

Here is a 100% forgery "certified" by Global Authentics (who routinely "certifies" nothing but awful Blink fakes):

rBkSEXI.jpg

Here is a fake Neighborhoods cd:

aOnUaNk.jpg

Be incredibly cautious of guitars/instruments signed by "the band". Folks it's very hard to run into these people, much less all 3, oh and you just *happen* to be carrying around a giant brand new guitar or drumhead. Most authentic guitars I've seen were radio station giveaways, or some sort of promo. Here are forgeries on a guitar:

8G7Vych.jpg

My hope is that you find this post beneficial, or at least somewhat interesting. If anyone has any examples to share, I would love to see them. If anyone has any questions please let me know. Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully this will be a good reference point for current/future Blink collectors! 

• Like 8

Holy crap I've ran into that site multiple times while looking up random stuff, had no idea someone here had written that! Nice job!

• Like 1

Yup my plan is to move any relevant/educational posts from the original over here and then ultimately decommission it so that all future traffic comes here. 

I’m also going to add some +44/AVA/BCR stuff to the OP as soon as I can.

• Like 1

Ive been hoping for a topic like this. Oliver is good with autographs too I believe. 

Ill soon post almost 10 autographs from 2014-2017 from blinks official site, To The Stars, and the California pre-sale (Kings Road Merch). I also have an autograph from Ava 2005 from an ebay seller who had pics from an autograph signing. Im curious about that one

Alright guys I've been working all day to get this as "up to date" as I want it, and am finally done. I have also closed the discussion on the previous link, so that any future comments will come here.

For the record, here are some items I have gotten signed personally with the dates:

2013 Travis - at Untitled Shows in LA. Small crowd, "rushed":

vxiVYIt.jpg

2017 Summer - ETGBF VIP Package. Extremely relaxed, about as good of signatures as you can get:

PplpZes.jpg

wNA6wh3.jpg

Often on TOYPAJ Travis will cross out the airplane which is neat:

m12eBDM.jpg

OHQK3er.jpg

And for reference this is a drumhead my buddy got signed this same day, it has about as nice of sigs as you can get. Mark even personalized, dated, and added "blink-182". Matt added his "smiley" which is rare.

qFdInZR.jpg

This is an absolutely amazing item: "Wasting Time - 1996 Australian Tour EP" signed by Scott/Tom/Mark on May 11, 1996 in Brisbane, Australia. Previous release dates showed this EP was released on May 20, 1996 in Australia, so this is cool because they obviously had them in hand already and were selling them at these Australia shows a few weeks prior. Excellent condition, and a great example of bold non-rushed sigs from that time period. Saw this on eBay, the guy is asking a pretty penny, but it is incredibly rare.

lbaYSLD.jpg

• Love 1

Forgot about this thread. This is great content!

Edit: oh wait, this thread's new?? I swear there was an old thread just like this...

9 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Forgot about this thread. This is great content!

Edit: oh wait, this thread's new?? I swear there was an old thread just like this...

When I first created this several years ago I believe I posted a link to it, but deleted and left the site shortly after. It's back in it's proper home now. =)

Saw that a few weeks back, I thought I posted about it here but maybe it was on Reddit. I find it interesting that he added the Untitled smiley with a frown, considering Untitled came out around the time he signed it. Almost a low key jab at Blink’s direction which would be funny! Cool piece regardless.

Ryan
I've learned a lot from your post, and you've helped me authenticate all the purchases I've made to date (and warned me off some others). Glad to find this here and THANKS man

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Found some signatures from the three original members from a show in Brisbane,Australia back in May 1996 :

5/11/1996: The band performs at the Surfer's Paradise Surf Club, Australia. This show was an all ages show. Other bands include Blister and Gilgamesh.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

002A68BE-7CAC-4D6C-A38B-36B1B8D7F491.jpeg.7681b57d5be4dd39d74b37f88dc6a7b6.jpegHere’s my WDNTW pre-order autograph with email confirmation.. there’s been speculation as to the validity of it.. I have 9 total Tom autographs. But this one he does sign with a simple ‘tom’ But if you look at each of the other band members signatures I think they’ll all check out.. I bring it up because of a Reddit debate on an older post I made about this. I wanted to post this in hopes of proving it’s real 😬🤓

• Like 2

@JoshLuten That's authentic, thanks for sharing! Here are 2 examples of FAKE ones with that style "tom" signature. These were meant to mimic authentic examples like yours. Obviously Tom/David's signatures are so simple that it would be easy to forge, so the key on these is to keep an eye on Ryan/Atoms. You can usually tell from Ryan's alone that the whole thing is garbage:

8L1tKWF.jpg