Sum 41 does this look infected tour

Knapppers

well, it's the album cover. not much they can do about that. his face is also on two other albums covers. it would be weirder if they removed it.

my opinion in this band has always been that AKNF through Chuck are awesome but I think people who prefer AKNF over DTLI? probably still listen to pop punk on a daily basis and stick to the same music they liked in middle school. I say this because there really isn't anything unique about AKNF. its in the same category as most early 00s pop punk staples. DTLI? isn't a genre-defying/ground breaking album by any means (the band themselves are a guilty pleasure) but it set them so far apart from every band they were compared to.

I remember reading an AOL interview with blink in early 2003 and they were asked how they were going to compete with DTLI?. i recall the album being praised for its production and how drastically different it was for a mainstream pop punk band's sophomore album. They could have easily followed AKNF up with a TOYPAJ like blink did after Enema but they didn't.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Speedo said:

I've never seen them, I'd like to but this isn't the album I'd like to see. It just wasn't very good, in my opinion. To me each album was a handful of great songs mixed with shit. They will always be a greatest hits band to me.

Addendum: UH is the only album I really enjoyed all the way through by this band. Sure, there are a few stinkers but the whole thing is catchy and has great hooks and that's what I care about.

18 hours ago, Speedo said:

I've never seen them, I'd like to but this isn't the album I'd like to see. It just wasn't very good, in my opinion. To me each album was a handful of great songs mixed with shit. They will always be a greatest hits band to me.

They got so much worse with each album. Chuck was their last good one. The new stuff is horrible. 

I loved AKNF. Good times. 

Gonna listen to it now. 

The production on DTLI? bothers me, it feels very plastic. I like the record no questions asked but it could have been a lot better and like a few other said you have to admire a band that just sold millions of records deciding not doing the same record again and instead actually shaping it up and making something else.

I listened to it on the way home from work the other day and i didnt realize i like basically all of the songs individually lol. I really like that album. The Hell Song maybe one of my all time favs. Right up there with Makes No Difference

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/2/2018 at 9:05 PM, Kevin. said:

it would have made more sense to do a Chuck tour because they already did a 10 year tour for this album. i'll see them do it again because dave will actually be in the band this time. also, deryck refused to play "thanks for nothing" 

I wonder why? He has made a statement about the song?

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 8:24 AM, Vera said:

In terms of aging from this era, Sum 41 comes across as the worst.  Feels like mad cheese and cringe now.  

The bands I used to think were cheesy, intentionally or not, aged well though, like Bloodhound Gang.

I listened to AKNF the other day and thought it held up really well. Surprisingly really great bass lines throughout the album, I never appreciated Cone until recently. 
Some of the lyrics are pretty teen angsty, like TOYPAJ, but it's still enjoyable. 

i went to this show last night. it was sold out and they were really good. i honestly don't think i've ever seen them play a bad show. brownsound grabbed all of the attention. my only complaint is they need to stop filling their sets with fucking cover songs. i think they played at least four covers and the drummer did a pointless linkin park solo mashup (why??). they could have easily just played six more of their own songs. 

@_Kyle_ that's an interesting article and i have reason to question the idea that greig nori "wrote a shit load of songs for the band." yes, it is obvious that his presence was essential to their sound. he even has writing credits on a handful of their songs. when deryck parted ways with him, their music went downhill fast. however, i don't really buy the idea that he wrote full songs for them. he most likely was just a great producer who would suggest ideas while recording if needed and received credit for it. the reason i say this is because demos and new songs show that the core songwriting is clearly coming from the band even without that guy around. all it takes is for some bitterness on his end to suddenly claim full responsibility for their songs. i would really love to it if deryck caught wind of this statement and responded to it. 

update: there's a longer version of the article here. they now say deryck originally wrote the song but the no warning guy claims to have written "we're all to blame" for them. this is getting confusing because i always thought deryck wrote songs for no warning. 

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/sum_41s_in_too_deep_was_originally_a_reggae_collab_between_treble_charger_and_snow

• 3 months later...