What's the next big movie genre?

Speedo

If you're like me then you are probably a little over the comic book genre. They aren't bad movies, it's just, well, oversaturated. There are almost 20 films based on comic books coming out this year alone. Personally, I'd rather see something else.

So, I'm curious, what do you guys think the next major genre is going to be?

I'd honestly like to NOT see waves of decades based on set genres and would rather a more eclectic movie experience but that's not what is going to happen because that isn't where the money is ...

Thoughts?

I haven't seen a Marvel/superhero movie since Iron Man 2.  It got old very fast for me.

At any rate, I don't know where it might be headed next, but I hope eventually they stop with the over the top interconnectedness of all the movies these days.  Trilogies are bad enough, but having to keep up with like 30 movies/shows just to be in the loop is just dumb.

-edit-

holy shit it's been 8 years since iron man 2, I cannot believe it's been that damn long jeez!

I wouldnt mind watching some marvel films but the fact i have to watch them all just to be put back in the loop puts me off...its the same story every time once u seen one you have seen em all..

Thor and ant man are probably the only ones i have seen in the last 5 years..

As for new trends i would just like to see originality! Its either a reboot or comic book film...

This past year has probaly been the worse for films in my opinion...just shocking 

Super hero movies got old to me as soon as Batman became dark and everyone thought it warranted greatest movie of all time discussion (it's still #4 all time on imdb).

It should have died a tragic death soon after that.  I don't see the appeal at all, there's little to no substance in any of them.

Super hero movies peaked for me at like the spider man's with Toby McGuire and William Defoe.  Just being honest.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Not sure if it's considered a genre, but sci-fi/post-apocalyptic films are definitely on the rise. With Logan and Blade Runner last year, and now Annihilation and Dune coming soon, and Ready Player One to a lesser extent. 

I'll definitely agree with this.  Lots of tv shows based on it have been popping up too.

55 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Not sure if it's considered a genre, but sci-fi/post-apocalyptic films are definitely on the rise. With Logan and Blade Runner last year, and now Annihilation and Dune coming soon, and Ready Player One to a lesser extent. 

They're remaking Dune?

I haven't seen the original but I tried to read the book maybe in 7th or 8th grade. I couldn't get into it, I remember it being really dry and dull. I'll have to take another crack it soon.

More on your point though, I'm not sure dystopian films every really become their own driving force. I mean, you always have one or two around but you never really see wave after wave of them. It'd be interesting to explore the genre a little further and see what ways you could push it and develop it into being.

I would like to see westerns make a come back. The series Godless on Netflix, while not perfect by any means, is a great example of some interesting new places the genre could go.

The genre needs freshened up and reinvented, has been full of mostly retreads for decades now. 

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I would like to see westerns make a come back. The series Godless on Netflix, while not perfect by any means, is a great example of some interesting new places the genre could go.

The genre needs freshened up and reinvented, has been full of mostly retreads for decades now. 

Tombstone was the last good Western that I remember. I'm probably forgetting one or two, I'm almost sure of it but there really hasn't been a decent Western in a long time.

Edit: True Grit and Assassination of Jesse James were both fantastic. I forgot about those ... I loved Bone Tomahawk too but I'm not positive that counts.

34 minutes ago, Speedo said:

They're remaking Dune?

I haven't seen the original but I tried to read the book maybe in 7th or 8th grade. I couldn't get into it, I remember it being really dry and dull. I'll have to take another crack it soon.

More on your point though, I'm not sure dystopian films every really become their own driving force. I mean, you always have one or two around but you never really see wave after wave of them. It'd be interesting to explore the genre a little further and see what ways you could push it and develop it into being.

Yep, all we know is that Denis Villeneuve is directing it. So it's probably going to be awesome.

27 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I think it's mainly a TV thing now. Westworld and Godless were both fantastic. 

I can't even think of an existing genre that I want to become the "next big genre." I want something new. Which, sadly, I don't think is gonna happen, because Hollywood hates taking risks. So for a while we're gonna be stuck with superheroes, sequels/reboots to 80's movies, and "cinematic universes."

To be honest I'm amazed that superhero movies are still so popular after so many years. I mean, I'm not surprised that people like them, but I am surprised that they are still at the level they're at. We've had almost twenty years of non-stop superhero movies now. Can't believe it hasn't died down yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

Tombstone was the last good Western that I remember. I'm probably forgetting one or two, I'm almost sure of it but there really hasn't been a decent Western in a long time.

Edit: True Grit and Assassination of Jesse James were both fantastic. I forgot about those ... I loved Bone Tomahawk too but I'm not positive that counts.

Why wouldn't bone tomahawk count? It's as pure a western for 3/4s of it as you can get.

Also, I thought you were a H8 fan.  It's a western stage play mixed with some horror elements.

I think Western's time has passed.  Peaked already as the mainstream how often does something become mainstream again?

Westerns also are slow, not something I'd put my money on millennials and whatever is below that being drawn to.

Dystopian is cool, but it's always been around as a bit of a side genre, can't see it going mainstream either.

I prefer original stuff. CBA with constant remakes and sequels as well as constant super hero movies (love the Dark Knight trilogy and Watchmen though). Some sequels are great if they stay true to the first one. Although Mad Max Fury Road is a bit more over the top with it's action and violence than the earlier movies, it is what it is. They never toned it down or anything. They just cared about making a damn good movie, not taking money out of the wallets and purses of babysitters and parents that are with their kids. Same thing happened with Blade Runner 2049. Can't stand any of the Terminators after the first two but I've heard they're gonna make a "true" sequel to that and ignore the movies after the first two.

I don't think there's gonna be any genres that'll lead the movie industry. Super heroes are making more money than ever. That said, I think cinemas and production companies will stop supporting the more original stand alone movies eventually. But I do predict that these original stand alone movies will make a rise more on streaming services. It's happening on Netflix with movies like Bright and the Cloverfield Paradox (technically a sequel to the other Cloverfield movies) but they never got the rave reviews.

Annihilation is the next one coming out, which has a director who has a great track record in movies (2nd time directing but he's done screenplays that were made into good films like Dredd and 28 Days Later). If that gets good reviews and enough of an audience, then it could be the start of something completely new. I won't be surprised if it gets good reviews but I will if it makes a difference in the movie industry. By that I mean in the way movies are marketed, in the ways that they can be more attractive on streaming services than in the cinema. Atm I just can't imagine a streamed film reach the popularity, heights and level of a film like Avatar or even the current super hero crap.

6 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Why wouldn't bone tomahawk count? It's as pure a western for 3/4s of it as you can get.

Also, I thought you were a H8 fan.  It's a western stage play mixed with some horror elements.

I think Western's time has passed.  Peaked already as the mainstream how often does something become mainstream again?

Westerns also are slow, not something I'd put my money on millennials and whatever is below that being drawn to.

Dystopian is cool, but it's always been around as a bit of a side genre, can't see it going mainstream either.

I don't count Hateful 8 anymore than I count Tarantino's Django.

Nostalgic throwbacks to the 80s seem to be popular right now. I'd say that's the new trend. I can't think of any new trend that I would want, though. I  dislike superhero movies and I feel like it's not going to go anywhere significant from there.

Hollywood is stagnating imo. They're too afraid to take risks and try something new.

TV, specifically streaming services, is where all of the innovation is happening and will be happening.