What band does everyone like? (besides blink-182, etc)

darkarrow

It's hard to find a band everyone likes because who doesn't have bad albums? To me only Bad Religion (I don't count Into The Unknown), The Ramones, blink up until Untitled and some other bands people don't listen to like Lifetime, Have Heart, Joyce Manor, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr.. 

But yeah, I think a lot of us likes Green Day and Brand New here. 

On 3/3/2018 at 4:51 AM, daveyjones said:

sounds like a paint by numbers version of set your goals. if you're not into set your goals, you might want to check them out for a superior version of this kind of sound.

I've listened to Set Your Goals plenty of times, seen them live twice as well. 

Think these guys are better musicians, vocals are a bit average but I think it's pretty great musically. 

I listened to The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me a while back and didn't like it. I'll have to give it a closer listen. Sometimes time away from a record is good.

29 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I listened to The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me a while back and didn't like it. I'll have to give it a closer listen. Sometimes time away from a record is good.

Deja Entendu is better. Devil and God is good but a bit...pretentious. Daisy is fucking awful and up it's own ass. Deja Entendu is a nice mix of the more straight forward songwriting and their older pop punk energy (found on Your Favourite Weapon, which I doubt you'd like much) but also embracing maturer and weirder elements. it's like their sweet spot. but, Science Fiction is absolutely breath taking and full-douche at the same time, which was their last record. 

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

Deja Entendu is better. Devil and God is good but a bit...pretentious. Daisy is fucking awful and up it's own ass. Deja Entendu is a nice mix of the more straight forward songwriting and their older pop punk energy (found on Your Favourite Weapon, which I doubt you'd like much) but also embracing maturer and weirder elements. it's like their sweet spot. but, Science Fiction is absolutely breath taking and full-douche at the same time, which was their last record. 

Yep, that's exactly the impression that I got when I listened to it, haha.

I'll listen to Deja Entendu as my album of the day today!

• Like 1

Just now, Nasa said:

Yep, that's exactly the impression that I got when I listened to it, haha.

I'll listen to Deja Entendu as my album of the day today!

christ I hope you like it, one of my top ten records of all time haha

• Like 2

Punk/Pop-punk bands that I listen to:

The Menzingers

The Gaslight Anthem

The Loved Ones

Japandroids

Sum 41

JEW

Hot Water Music

Green Day

A bit of Rancid and Less than Jake

Older Rise Against

NOFX

Dropkick Murphys 

The Bronx

Brand New

Motion City Soundtrack (older stuff)

Yellowcard

AFI

Say Anything

Alexisonfire

Titus Andronicus 

The Offspring

Pennywise

Bouncing Souls 

I made a snowboarding playlist from punk bands I like. Check it out here (yes, I borrowed heavily from the Burnout 3 and Tony Hawk soundtracks lol):

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 12:28 PM, Kay said:

christ I hope you like it, one of my top ten records of all time haha

After five listens:

I understand the appeal. I'm barely into emo--the only emo album that I've saved is Jimmy Eat World's Futures--mainly because the vocals usually annoy me a fuck ton. But with more listens, I've gotten used to Brand New's vocals. But not to the point of willingly wanting to hear them.

The lyrics seem like the biggest draw to me. I'm not really a lyrics person--if they're good, then that's a bonus, and I usually don't listen to music just because of the lyrics. But the lyrics on this record tell some interesting stories. I also like some of the melodies and choruses.

Unfortunately, there's not enough to keep me listening. I think that I would've liked this album more if I got into it a couple years ago.

6 hours ago, ungroovy said:

Devil and God is a masterpiece start to finish, full stop. They can be pretentious when they're writing shit like that.

it really isn't. I like the record, but it really does not deserve the praise it gets.