Tom Delonge's Les Paul(s) 1997-1998

Andrew182

So as promised, I started to banter too much about Tom's Les Paul's in another thread, thus the creation of this one.

As to my understanding, Gibson gave Tom a few Les Pauls, these were not used for the recording of Dude Ranch, but for their tours.                                                       

These LP's were the successors of Tom's iconic Sticker Strat, they came into use during late 97 to 98 or early 99 when Tom acquired his own signature strats               

Tom actually put an invader in the bridge and he also removed both tone knobs and the neck volume knob of some LP's, this could very probably have led to the creation of his signature strat's that everyone knows.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Sometime during Blink/Green Day's pop-punk disaster tour, Tom apparently gave 2 Les pauls to Chris Cote from Kut U Up.

Feel free to post stuff about anything that contains or mentions his Les Pauls - I'll start by posting a picture of a happy Delonge playing his wine red Les Paul that had a big Billabong sticker and also what looks like some star sticker? I personally don't know so, if anyone knows what the sticker is, you can gladly say :) 

• Like 3

Regarding the star sticker, I presume it's a sticker from Unwritten Law back from 1998

Similar to this one 

il_340x270.1428817918_1ehb.jpg

Also the youtuber that got that guitar is going to do a longer video about that guitar as well, so I'll post a link i that thread as I'm sure that it will be really interesting !

Also found a bunch of pictures of this guitar too !

tom-delonge-and-converse-chuck-taylor-al

tom-delonge-of-blink-182-performs-as-par

3c91e3c67f1e00a2a0c8a887f92b1d55--tom-de

tom-delonge-of-blink-182-performing-at-l

tom-delonge-of-blink-182-performs-during

tom-delonge-of-blink-182-performing-at-l

29e3e2367cb835b5f43831e9dcbd047ebc08ed96

9d128efcbc0e45fd4c0bd4dc6573a4992ba4aa58

tom05.jpg

• Like 2

The same les paul that ''Littleredguitars2'' got can be seen here at this show (and MANY other), he switches from his Billabong les paul to the one that got sold at 11:30 - 18:05, he switches back later to that specific guitar at 28:01 - 32:28, he plays the Billabong les paul until 43:50, the guitar that got sold is used until 49:08, when Tom plays the last 2 songs of the show with the Billabong les paul (confusing? maybe haha)

Never realized how much he switched guitars, maybe this was before he added the Sperzel locking tuners

I've just compiled a list of every footage where this guitar was used such as live performances and during gigs too !

10/10/1998: The band performs at Button South in Hallandale Beach, Florida.

6/15/1998: The band performs at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. It is Travis Barker's *official* first show as a member of the band

9/26/1998: The band performs at the University of Montreal (Cepsum Room) in Montreal, Quebec. At this show, the Vandals are a supporting act.

2/23/1998: The band performs at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, Kansas.

5/16/1998: The band is interviewed and performs on Recovery.

5/31/1998: The band performs at WBCN River Rave '98 at Great Woods Amphitheater in Mansfield, Massachusettes.

Pictures from the show and from the guitar : 

8/7/1998: The band performs at Playfair Race Track in Spokane, Washington.

Also another picture that I found of that guitar !

1269898262.jpg

Also someone pointed out that this guitar was in American Pie where Blink has a cameo too 

video proof :

• Like 1

On 01/03/2018 at 5:50 PM, Andrew182 said:

Blink182_tomlespaul.jpg.1db75c044bb4ef0d7b693c9abb779fd4.jpg

Also this guitar is the red one with the Billabong sticker not the black guitar !

Here is a list of the stickers that I have identified that were on it : 

-Unwritten Law (1998) sticker

il_340x270.1428817918_1ehb.jpg

-Kung Fu Records sticker

L-36121-1126686567.jpeg.jpg

-Vans Warped Tour 1998 sticker

Warped_Tour_1998_specific_event_logo.jpg

-Blink 182 Dude Ranch sticker

3163104_orig.jpg?330

-Lady Luck sticker

s-l400.jpg

- old Arnette logo

81uYTpSt40L._SX522_.jpg

• Like 2

8nIRsBk.png

9 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

-unknown sticker (women sticker)

Here is a screenshot of the black lp from their show at WBCN River Rave '98 the quality is pretty crappy, but I think it says ''California'' at the bottom of the girl, from the pictures we have it kinda, looks like some kind of cartoonish pin-up girl?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, knapton said:

The guy who got the Les Paul actually used to post here back in the day. Believe he was GrandMasterJohn. 

came here to say that. shame that he was driven away, he would love to be a part of these conversations now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew182 said:

Here is a screenshot of the black lp from their show at WBCN River Rave '98 the quality is pretty crappy, but I think it says ''California'' at the bottom of the girl, from the pictures we have it kinda, looks like some kind of cartoonish pin-up girl?

Yeah this one seems like it, wonder if it was from an anime  or something, still looking to find the source for this one also still can't figure it out that other sticker too as well.

Tom with that Black Les Paul in American Pie (proof with the strap)

1496917951273-blink182pie.png?crop=0.95x

3 hours ago, $Prince of Poultry$ said:

came here to say that. shame that he was driven away, he would love to be a part of these conversations now. 

Maybe we should point out to him regarding that thread as there's a bunch of more info on it such as pictures, videos, list of stickers etc etc

1 hour ago, Thibaut182 said:

Maybe we should point out to him regarding that thread as there's a bunch of more info on it such as pictures, videos, list of stickers etc etc

I told him i started a thread on Tom's les pauls, he replied saying he will check it out later

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andrew182 said:

Didn't the wine red one also have a rainbow strap?

I think Tom used that same rainbow strap for his Billabong but I'm 100% sure that the one in American Pie is this guitar

at 0:12, you can clearly distinguish the women sticker as well as the kung fu records sticker too

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thibaut182 said:

I think Tom used that same rainbow strap for his Billabong but I'm 100% sure that the one in American Pie is this guitar

Yeah, it is the same guitar as the one in American Pie, It feels a bit like Tom didn't care too much for his les pauls since he drowned one while filming the original Josie music video, and he gave the remaining ones to Chris and that other guy from Kut u up.

Hey just chiming in. I appreciate all the digging youve all been doin finding photos and videos of this guitar in action.  I was huge into blink back in the day but id be lying if i said i remembered half of what i used to as far as gear facts and other little things. After my displeasure of california i took a break from blink and am slowly getting back into the swing of things and really appreciating the older stuff a lot more.

Its Totally surreal that i own this guitar now... still pinching myself. if you guys have any requests for photos or whatever of the guitar just let me know. Ill be sure to do more covers on my channel and ill definitely be using it on my new album. 

Im definitely interested in finding out what that big sticker of the girl is. I dont know how easy it is to see in the video but you can  TOTALLY see the outline of that big sticker. Harder to see the others. 

By the way. I was checking out the white sticker strat thread a couple weeks ago before this whole les paul thing happened. So ive actually started a replica build of that guitar. Just been keepin it hidden til its done. I just got the stickers in yesterday from the reverb seller. ive been actually documenting the entire modding process on video and made sure to give props to you guys for the amazing info and pics in that thread. Ill be sure to link the thread when i post the video. I fully intend on selling the guitar once its complete. Its been a fun project so far! But SHHH dont tell anyone yet!

• Like 4
  • Love 1