The Infamous Mark Hoppus b182 Interview 2006

Kay

Always loved the chorus lyrics of 155

"And this is not the time or place for us to speak like this,
Even if I had the thought, I'd never dream of it,
So dry your hollow eyes and let's go down to the water.
In a different time or place the words could make more sense,
In a perfect world, the future wouldn't make a dent,
So dry your hollow eyes, and let's go down to the water,
Even though it's the last time."

The lyrics of California don't even come close to anything from +44 IMO. Even the ones with good lyrics. That was one thing that shocked me. Both Mark and Skiba are damn good lyricists. I was 100% sure California was gonna have pretty boring guitars but great lyrics because of them two.

10 hours ago, Kay said:

To be fair, I'm the only one it seems but I actually like that lyric a lot. it's on the nose but it works. 

there are much worse examples from California haha

I actually like that one too. It seems weird at first until I realize how relatable it is. Hell, the weather is great outside right now and I'm sitting inside on my bed posting on the blink boards.

• Like 1

Reading that interview and the recent interviews its interesting seeing how different in tone they were towards Tom. They were definitely more bitter then and now they seem much more mature and at least on Travis' part seems to respect and talk highly of Tom. 

also was Rick DeVoe still their manager during the self-titled era?

On 3/12/2018 at 9:49 AM, Kay said:

To be fair, I'm the only one it seems but I actually like that lyric a lot. it's on the nose but it works. 

I cringe at that specific lyric. Haaaaaate it. California song is probably the worst lyric in blinks history. I think its worse than the ice is really cold shit 

4 minutes ago, Reginald said:

I cringe at that specific lyric. Haaaaaate it. California song is probably the worst lyric in blinks history. I think its worse than the ice is really cold shit 

You get that it's all suppose to be a bit tongue in cheek right?  Not that I love the song, but it's far from my problems with California.  Probably one I don't mind though.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:49 AM, Kay said:

it's actually one of my favorite lines on the album, because it's so true. the three decades i spent in southern california, that's something you do. it's gorgeous outside. but hot. you sit inside with the AC on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

it's honest and true to living there, is what it is.

Yeah I mean the whole songs like that. "Good things haven't happened yet. Here's a form go wait in line. It's what I've always wanted"

True to most people who move out there with big dreams.

Probably my second favorite Cali song really.

8 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

You get that it's all suppose to be a bit tongue in cheek right?  Not that I love the song, but it's far from my problems with California.  Probably one I don't mind though.

Shitty song, shitty lyric. Its my least favorite blink song by far. 

I think it's a song of lost potential. it has a solid point, and the chorus is actually really good, but it's so clean that it shows of Marks vocal weaknesses too much. You could argue it's intentional for the larger metaphor but... well I doubt that, because the same issue applies to songs like San Diego. 

but yeah, California, though not a song I listen to often, I at least appreciate the effort in. 

• Like 1

I think the weird part about that song is that the lyrics are sarcastic but there's nothing really guiding you to that fact. The music itself just makes your brain think you're hearing a dry sterile theme song from a reboot of The OC on the Freeform channel or something. Not that you should need hand-holding to understand lyrics by any means, but in my opinion they missed an opportunity to have the bridge kinda "break the fourth wall" and remove the sarcasm to make the actual point of the song hit home. But instead they just said "na na na na na na na na na whoa oh" hahaha.

Oh and it's always kind of annoyed me that they say "Californeeya"

Just now, Speedo said:

I don't think irony of the song was lost at all. Talking about the weather being perfect and staying inside is pretty on the nose. 

Oh I agree it's plain as day, my only point was that the song as a whole doesn't really do justice to the semi-clever lyrics