The Infamous Mark Hoppus b182 Interview 2006

Kay

5 hours ago, Kay said:

I think it's a song of lost potential. it has a solid point, and the chorus is actually really good, but it's so clean that it shows of Marks vocal weaknesses too much. You could argue it's intentional for the larger metaphor but... well I doubt that, because the same issue applies to songs like San Diego. 

but yeah, California, though not a song I listen to often, I at least appreciate the effort in. 

No, I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt on songs like Bored To Death, being about a relationship coming to a boiling point and the chorus being the confrontation.... Then they decided to let us know it's about being bored in a classroom waiting for the bell to ring.  Brought the song down quite a few notches.

2 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

No, I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt on songs like Bored To Death, being about a relationship coming to a boiling point and the chorus being the confrontation.... Then they decided to let us know it's about being bored in a classroom waiting for the bell to ring.  Brought the song down quite a few notches.

the music video doesn't actually mean what the song is about. there's loads of music videos that have nothing to do with the song meaning. First Date isn't about The Beegees either, you know that right?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

Did they actually say that?? Or are you going off the video?

35 minutes ago, Kay said:

the music video doesn't actually mean what the song is about. there's loads of music videos that have nothing to do with the song meaning. First Date isn't about The Beegees either, you know that right?

I was exaggerating with it being solely about being bored in class but yes that is what they said it's generally about, besides Matt's verse.  It's not about a relationship, which I felt made for a good song.

I'll try to find the interview where they talked about it.. Believe they were talking about where the video concept came from and they said Matt made up the video concept, after they talked about the meaning.

Fun fact: In the original horror movie The Omen, if you look closely at the mouth of the maid you can make out what she is really saying before she hangs herself. "It's all for you Bee Gees,  it's all for you!" This was overdubbed in overproduction as it made no sense in the context of the movie but it just goes to show that's it's all about THE FUCKING BEE GEES!!!!