Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

11 minutes ago, Kay said:

Whats My Age Again is a lot more difficult than that riff Mark plays. for a start, Whats My Age Again as a riff goes through like 5 of the strings in total (the bass note movement goes from the 4th, to the 5th, to the 6th, whilst the top end is the 3rd and 2nd continuously) it also involves some awkward stretching / precise positioning. Matt is an adult dude, probably has fairly big fingers, and that far up the fret board the frets are smaller, trying to squeeze that last 6th bass note with the top two can cause issues with the clarity of it. The riff itself isn't super hard, but compared to what Mark was playing in that clip it is a lot more complicated, faster, and more difficult to physically play. 

if you don't nail the wmaa riff after three years while regularly touring, playing it live every night then you're probably going to struggle with that mark riff as well

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

if you don't nail the wmaa riff after three years while regularly touring, playing it live every night then you're probably going to struggle with that mark riff as well

also a fair point, but it's still way easier than the WMAA riff. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adrianm14 said:

This is an interesting listen incase anyone wants to hear about who Feldy is as a person. 

Really good interview, thanks for posting!

Pretty sure that's the same one from this summer, I posted cliff notes somewhere. It is very good and made me appreciate Feldy as a person a little bit more, dude is def a hustler and loves what he does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Whats My Age Again is a lot more difficult than that riff Mark plays. for a start, Whats My Age Again as a riff goes through like 5 of the strings in total (the bass note movement goes from the 4th, to the 5th, to the 6th, whilst the top end is the 3rd and 2nd continuously) it also involves some awkward stretching / precise positioning. Matt is an adult dude, probably has fairly big fingers, and that far up the fret board the frets are smaller, trying to squeeze that last 6th bass note with the top two can cause issues with the clarity of it. The riff itself isn't super hard, but compared to what Mark was playing in that clip it is a lot more complicated, faster, and more difficult to physically play. 

Give me a fucking break, biggest Skiba bot on here by far.

Neither is that hard to play, but Matt has proven he can't play anything outside of single chords, alternating strings for him is near impossible.  That, and he can't down stroke faster blink riffs worth a shit.

Especially that little picking then slide at the end? Would be calling for a backing track asap.

6 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Give me a fucking break, biggest Skiba bot on here by far.

Neither is that hard to play, but Matt has proven he can't play anything outside of single chords, alternating strings for him is near impossible.  That, and he can't down stroke faster blink riffs worth a shit.

Especially that little picking then slide at the end? Would be calling for a backing track asap.

Who cares if he doesn't down stroke the riffs?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Blink fans should?

3 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Jan just wants people to think she knows what she's talking about. 

Just now, Speedo said:

Jan just wants people to think she knows what she's talking about. 

#change #blocked #reactionless

Anyways, you guys both don't know what you're talking about. Upstrokes aren't the same as downstrokes, it's minimal but it makes a difference in a blink song

Just now, NJansaid said:

#change #blocked #reactionless

Anyways, you guys both don't know what you're talking about. Upstrokes aren't the same as downstrokes, it's minimal but it makes a difference in a blink song

If I went through and complained about all of the shortcuts Tom took live I'd be busy for a year making the list.  

A keyboard-warrior on blink online knows the difference, thousands of fans who want to hear All the Small Things could care less.  Would you rather Skiba fuck up so you can bitch at him, or have him play alternate picking so he can play the riff? 

9 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

If I went through and complained about all of the shortcuts Tom took live I'd be busy for a year making the list.  

I never said Tom didn't get lazy

A keyboard-warrior on blink online knows the difference

No, try majority of music fans should know there's a slight difference? Never said it was anything big or ground breaking.

, thousands of fans who want to hear All the Small Things could care less.

👏👏👏 Good and they can fuck off, got to love Kansas standards

Would you rather Skiba fuck up so you can bitch at him, or have him play alternate picking so he can play the riff? 

I'd rather have him fuck off altogether like the all the small things fans you want us to cater to. And honestly, it shouldn't be that hard. It screams lazy to me too

1 minute ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

@NJansaid are you seriously flipping out about the fact that matt might not be able to play a riff on a unreleased song mark worked on almost 10 years ago?

Kay just stated that wmaa is more difficult, which it is.

skiba's still a complete tool though

Yes, I'm losing it.  I was just giving her shit because she's a Skiba apologist. I still think he would flub it

Upstrokes aren't the same as downstrokes ... how insightful! 

Are you referring to alternate picking, Jan? Plucking a string up or down isn't going to make a difference in sound on a single string. What you're hearing different is Tom's attack and picking style as opposed to someone elses. Tom could take any of those riffs, change up the picking and once the muscle memory is locked in you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

24 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Upstrokes aren't the same as downstrokes ... how insightful! 

Are you referring to alternate picking, Jan? Plucking a string up or down isn't going to make a difference in sound on a single string. What you're hearing different is Tom's attack and picking style as opposed to someone elses. Tom could take any of those riffs, change up the picking and once the muscle memory is locked in you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

I never said it was insightful, glad we agree.  Why do you talk like your guitar playing doesn't suck? Do we need to bring up the competition thread where @Donald Trump's Bulge swept you?

15 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

can we just all peacefully agree that skiba in blink 182 is terrible and brings nothing worth having to the table except for showing up?

He does have some cool moments on California though. TOTTM is an all time blink tune and his verses make the song. Left Alone is also good because of him. Cynical.

I've never been a big fan of the guy, but there was enough there to try to build on for the next album, imo. And I still think he was the right choice at the time to replace Tom. Anyone less "unique" would have been seen as a Tom imposter and the tombots would fixate on it. Instead you have Feldmann to take that heat.

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

He does have some cool moments on California though. TOTTM is an all time blink tune and his verses make the song. Left Alone is also good because of him. Cynical.

I've never been a big fan of the guy, but there was enough there to try to build on for the next album, imo. And I still think he was the right choice at the time to replace Tom. Anyone less "unique" would have been seen as a Tom imposter and the tombots would fixate on it. Instead you have Feldmann to take that heat.

I still think he's the best one to replace Tom too. From the pop punk/punk rock scene his style is the closest to Tom I think. All the new wave & electronic shit that sometimes heard can be heard in Alkaline Trio & even more so on the Sekrets is why I thought they hired him in the first place. That sound isn't too far from AVA. I actually believe Mark is a very big reason why blink have sometimes sounded kinda AVA-ish at times too. It wasn't just Tom bringing that sound to blink IMO. Mark definitely supports that sound, just he would never go overboard with it like Tom has.

• Like 1

LOVE Skiba... in fact, I am a #SkibaBot at this point. Hope he makes billions in Blink playing Tom's crappy teen songs from 20 years ago.  Mark/Feldy are blessed to even have him in the room during the writing process.

• Like 1

Skiba is fine, he's just playing shit that isn't his style guitar wise and it makes him seem worse than he is. He is just a little out of his element and hopefully that'll change with this newest album if they actually wrote it together.