Ry-Bread

2018 "New Album News" Thread

5 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Sum 41 definitely do that sound better haha. It's more them after all. I'm just fed up of blink trying to sound like other bands. I get they tried to sound kinda like the Cure and all that from 2003 and onwards, but I saw that as more of a natural influence than them trying to copy other bands. Think the only bands they should try sound like is updated versions of +44/Alkaline Trio with elements of what influences them. That's who they naturally are anyway. Mark always wrote +44 style songs before Feldman came in. Shows on the verses of Hey I'm Sorry too. Skiba is the same with Sekrets/Trio. That's just his natural sound.

Yeah I think that's all any of us "Cali Haters" want, I'm not expecting anything to blow me away or hit the heights of pre-breakup Blink at all. They've gotten way older and changed a lot and I'm actually totally fine with that. But what I hope and expect from my favorite band is to write music that represents who they are, and (SHOCKER) I haven't gotten that vibe from any of the Skiba era yet.

Maybe in 2026 we'll get a California 10th Anniversary Box Set that includes the songs they wrote that Feldy scrapped haha, who knows if they were any good but I'll always be fascinated by what they came up with on their own before he convinced them to change course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah I think that's all any of us "Cali Haters" want, I'm not expecting anything to blow me away or hit the heights of pre-breakup Blink at all. They've gotten way older and changed a lot and I'm actually totally fine with that. But what I hope and expect from my favorite band is to write music that represents who they are, and (SHOCKER) I haven't gotten that vibe from any of the Skiba era yet.

Maybe in 2026 we'll get a California 10th Anniversary Box Set that includes the songs they wrote that Feldy scrapped haha, who knows if they were any good but I'll always be fascinated by what they came up with on their own before he convinced them to change course.

I'd actually listen to those if they ever released it. I'm also curious to see what Feldmann threw out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

1/10/18. Trav's doin work. Not sure who this Lundin dude is, or if it's even 100% Blink related:

4I0LEKm.png

4a9QP71.png

19'*

Well, looks like he worked on engineering the Good Charlotte album, so close ties with the Feld.

Step up from whatever that last fuck was with the face tattoos

On 1/8/2019 at 11:24 AM, vic vinegar said:

I'd actually listen to those if they ever released it. I'm also curious to see what Feldmann threw out. 

Feldmann didn't throw anything out. He didn't put a gun to their head and force them to work with him.

If the songs they wrote without him were good and they had confidence in them, we all know they would have been released. They'd have had no need to go shopping for a producer or outside opinions.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Feldmann didn't throw anything out. He didn't put a gun to their head and force them to work with him.

If the songs they wrote without him were good and they had confidence in them, we all know they would have been released. They'd have had no need to go shopping for a producer or outside opinions.

They didn't write any songs.. Feldy wrote the songs for them.

5 minutes ago, horchata said:

They didn't write any songs.. Feldy wrote the songs for them.

Obviously, that's why they're so fuckign good, but that doesn't have anything to do with my post

I mean he's definitely selfish enough, as would most ppl in his position be, to just completely BS and convince them that they need to start over.. So he can produce, co-write, and receive those credits, a huge step above just giving an opinion. He saw an in and jumped on it.  

It's still Mark and Travis's call, but we can't act like one man's opinion is the all seeing eye of whether these songs were good or not.

Hey I'm Sorry isn't fan fiction, compare those lyrics to the rest of Cali. They we on a different track most of us would prefer.  Then again, most people would prefer genuine writing over trying to sound like a counterfeit blink/All Time Low/Goldfinger hybrid.

• Like 2

You really think that if Mark Matt and Travis had amazing songs that they would have taken them to a random producer and blindly listened to him when he says they suck? These are career musicians, not a garage band off the streets.

The conspiracies are hilarious

• Like 1

I think they wrote some songs and liked them enough to finish them and demo them but they didn't really know exactly what they had yet, so they showed the songs to Feldy to see if he wanted to work with them. He said the songs didn't sound like the Blink he knew and they took his word for it and started over with him as an additional songwriter to steer them toward what he had in mind as Blink 182 as a way to reset the band. No conspiracies needed, no extra drama, no evil record label overlords, no hot tub romance.

• Like 2

Yup, and with BTD knocked out on the first day, it was probably way catchier/pop punk than what they had and they just kept the thing rollin'...

• Like 1

The power and control you give Feldmann in this fan fiction is so unrealistic though.

If Mark and Travis loved what they wrote, they wouldn't have been seeking a producer to begin with, let alone scrapping a masterpiece. A masterpiece that Mark and Travis were for some reason unaware of...Just because Feldmann told them it sucked?

Plot holes left and right.

D-

Only idiots make records without a producer.

They probably demoed a few songs, decided against them and tried to go in a more familiar direction for Skiba's debut. It's a really smart move and it paid off. You don't shake up a band and run in an entirely different direction, you start with something familiar to ease the fanbase into it.

Also, its entirely possible they just didn't like the songs they demoed. Sometimes you just don't like songs you write or they don't feel right and you scrap them or maybe use them down the road when the idea takes different shapes.

California was the safe and intelligent move on their part and now we will see what the next album brings. I'm thinking they'll branch out a bit more now that everyone is comfortable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The power and control you give Feldmann in this fan fiction is so unrealistic though.

If Mark and Travis loved what they wrote, they wouldn't have been seeking a producer to begin with, let alone scrapping a masterpiece. A masterpiece that Mark and Travis were for some reason unaware of...Just because Feldmann told them it sucked?

D-

You added all of those things to my post. You are writing Champ182 fan fiction!!

• Haha 1

I can't picture a song worse than Kings of the Weekend that they could have managed prior to Feldmann.  I just can't imagine how those 3 could come up with 30 songs so bad they would opt for that instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

D-

Ghent fanfic.

We don't know the truth.

But There are plenty of facts to support that it was at least decent. Given that, I don't know, he's written good songs before like at least a few times!!

Mark might just not have had the confidence in his own work and it all it took was publicity hound Feldmann to tell Blink the songs sucked to get them in his studio. Feldmann had vested interest in scrapping those songs. He'd make more money as a cowriter and it would give him the control he craves.

I doubt Feldmann would have taken Blink on as clients if they insisted on writing their own material. Not enough "meat on the bone" for him.

• Like 1

Just compare the lyrics on Hey I'm Sorry to everything else lol.  It's not far fetched to think they weren't writing skipping curfew weekend warrior songs before Feldmann, a co-writer/producer known for writing plasticky pop songs about exactly that..

They saw what Rebecca Black was on and wanted in.

• Like 1