Blink Vegas Residency

Chewy030

Just now, ...Dan... said:

No it's not a millennial thing, it's also not a snowflake/liberal thing in case you're thinking it. 

Some people just like the convenience of Uber and like the good deals Airbnb give.

Maybe we should get a horse and cart to the travel agent instead?

Well, I do like to spend entire weekends immersed in the 18th century so........I'd be okay with that.

Didn't say it was political. Now you guys are putting words in my mouth for some weird reason.

Just now, Olidamus said:

Well, I do like to spend entire weekends immersed in the 18th century so........I'd be okay with that.

Didn't say it was political. Now you guys are putting words in my mouth for some weird reason.

Much more normal than getting an Uber or staying in an Airbnb!

The liberal/snowflake thing was a joke too btw.

22 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I am not trying to shit on your help or make excuses......I guess I am just old fashioned. This is definitely a millennial thing, ain't it?

Same goes for UBER, I won't do it. I am in Chicago and my cousin hits a button on his phone, 2 mins later and dude shows up to pick him up and he's gone. Creepy as hell.

I like that your anecdote about why Uber is creepy is literally just someone using Uber. 

So using Uber is creepy. Any $50 hotel you’re going to be shot at by “riff raff.”It must suck living your life in fear. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Much more normal than getting an Uber or staying in an Airbnb!

The liberal/snowflake thing was a joke too btw.

I didn't say UBER/AIRBNB wasn't normal, I just said it was a millennial thing.

What I do when I reenact is most certainly not normal. I know that, and in some ways pride myself in it.

This is me standing outside all night in -10 degree Celcius cold in 18th century clothing that I spend over 80 hours hand stitching myself.. It doesn't even begin to resemble normal.

0yQpbHX.jpg

I don't think it's a Millennial thing. The adults in my family who are older than you use Uber and AirBNB all the time. When my parents came to visit me over spring break, my mom actually wanted to Uber everywhere instead of walking, lol.

Although it would be cool if there was a study or something seeing the relationship between Uber / AirBNB and age.

It's probably just you, Oliver. Not that there's anything wrong with that--I can understand why it would seem weird.

I've started to do the AirBNB style vacation rental when I go on vacation. It's way nicer to have a whole house to yourself. A lot cheaper too if you have a big group. Just have to be careful you don't end up in a creepy situation in someones basement where they want to hang out with you or something. I draw the line at excessive human contact..I don't want to get to know the owner of the property. I just want to sit in their hot tub and take a shit in their toilet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I've started to do the AirBNB style vacation rental when I go on vacation. It's way nicer to have a whole house to yourself. A lot cheaper too if you have a big group. Just have to be careful you don't end up in a creepy situation in someones basement where they want to hang out with you or something. I draw the line at excessive human contact..I don't want to get to know the owner of the property. I just want to sit in their hot tub and take a shit in their toilet.

This is why it creeps me out.....although reviews should eliminate that problem. Usually.

I once booked at a mom and pop hotel, and the guy at the front desk wanted to grab a drink with me. I hate to be rude but I had to tell him I just wanted to go to my room.

Most of the Airbnbs I've stayed at have been properties owned with the purpose of being rented out. Last November, though, I stayed in someone's actual apartment. She made herself scarce for the weekend, but it was still weird staying in a very clearly lived-in place, with all her belongings. It was nice and clean and everything, but I didn't feel completely comfortable with it.

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

A bed and breakfast sounds like the worst experience of all time to me. A hostel being a close second.

We have some great bed and breakfasts here in the small towns around us. I've never had a bad experience. I think we've gone maybe 4 times now. 

Just now, Speedo said:

We have some great bed and breakfasts here in the small towns around us. I've never had a bad experience. I think we've gone maybe 4 times now. 

...and you eat breakfast with strangers? how can that be a good experience?

6 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Most of the Airbnbs I've stayed at have been properties owned with the purpose of being rented out. Last November, though, I stayed in someone's actual apartment. She made herself scarce for the weekend, but it was still weird staying in a very clearly lived-in place, with all her belongings. It was nice and clean and everything, but I didn't feel completely comfortable with it.

Did you pee on things to claim them as your own? You should have. It's how you establish your dominance. 

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

...and you eat breakfast with strangers? how can that be a good experience?

No, I drank coffee with strangers, the conversation is always lovely. It's mostly always parents who have managed to escape the kids and finally got laid so everyone is super fucking cheerful and fun to be around. Then we fuck off into town for a day of shopping and sight seeing, I find a place to get drunk and then we have dinner at a local restaurant, once we even had dinner with our new found friends. It was great! 

Then you go home and you never talk to those people again because that's fucking weird. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Its $63, and she looks forward to meeting guests........

ew

Lol It's funny when people are stubborn about air bnb until they try it then it's all they use.   I didn't even look past the first 2 options, you can rent private places that have key code access.

Bed and Breakfasts are totally normal in the UK. you don't eat breakfast with strangers, usually theres separate tables your just eating in the same room...you know, like a restaurant or a hotel. 

they just usually have less rooms and are more personable. that's all. it's not some wacko hatchet job where they try to kill you.

I've never used Airbnb because I do think staying in someones house is weird. not because I expect them to axe murder me or (shudder) want a conversation, but because I'd rather stay somewhere where there's a relative assurance that the sheets have been laundered to crap and are clean as hell. 

never used uber either but thats because I'm never in cities. I have no idea if we even have it over here, I thought it was banned from London.