Blink Vegas Residency

Chewy030

12 hours ago, Ghent said:

Notice how the hosts are more shocked and uncomfortable about shows featuring only songs prior to 1999? No excitement about that for them, more confusion and let down than anything. That is the divide between people who "like" blink-182 and people like us.

Yeh that woman seemed to think the idea was stupid ...no great reaction whatsoever 

Probably one of the raddest ideas they've had (next to Australia's deepcuts/acoustic sets) post-reunion, but absolutely shitty its not with Tom.Don't think I'd enjoy the nostalgia coming from Matt unless it was Mark only songs, and even then I think it'd bum me out. I'm only saying that for myself - when I saw blink with Matt I got extremely bummed out when Matt was singing Not Now so I feel like I'd have the same reaction to pre-2000 stuff if not more. 

• Like 1

Can't see it happening at all. 

Tom's guitar work is far more technical on Dude Ranch/Cheshire Cat and even they wanted to do it Matt would butcher some of those songs - that combined with the length of time it would take to learn them all for just a few shows makes it very very unlikely for me. 

Best case is they chuck in one of the more power chord driven deep cuts like Untitled or Apple Shampoo. 

• Like 1

If these "pre-1999" shows are confirmed I will 100% be flying out from London, been dreaming of this sort of thing for like 15 years now. Obviously would much rather see Tom performing the songs but that ship has sailed :(

Below is a transcript of that podcast btw:

"We're putting together a very special setlist, and a lot of production, and we're gonna make it as fun as we possibly can"
"What kinda setlist are you putting together for Vegas?"
"Well my idea, and we still have to work this out, was that we would have like, you know, a standard show with hits and old stuff and new stuff, and kind of the breadth of Blink 182, but then, I don't know, every month or whatever, maybe twice, three times during the residency, we'd do old school nights where it's no songs from after 1999."
"Ok. Wow!""Just the deep album cuts, from the early days"
"Like the deepest"
"Are you gonna do any...are you going to announce that ahead of time, for which weekends it is?"
"Yes, it would be something that people would know about ahead of time. So if you are travelling from Belgium and you'd only heard All The Small Things, from like the American Pie movie from back in the day.."
"Maybe that's not the show he'd go to"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Tom's guitar work is far more technical on Dude Ranch/Cheshire Cat and even they wanted to do it Matt would butcher some of those songs

Yeah I think it would be mostly EOTS with Carousel/M&Ms/Dammit/Josie thrown in there. I can already picture the EOTS cover on a billboard on the strip, people would love that in Vegas. Unfortunately 1 trip to Vegas was enough for a lifetime for me and I don't see myself ever going back, but those should be cool shows!

2 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Fair play, you got any interest in giving it a go in the future? 

Appreicate it's usually quite expensive but if you're smart you can get some pretty decent deals. 

Well my girlfriends father lives in Philly, and he's given us an open invitation to visit - so it's always been the intention for us to go, but each year we're not remotely in a position to do anything about it. We're trying to buy a house, it's a whole cost thing where the concept of going abroad on holiday is just a ridiculous luxury I can't picture.

We didn't really go on holiday when I was growing up, outside of camping and caravanning at terrible caravan parks with my grandparents. When me and my girlfriend went for a week in hay on wye back in February it was the first real 'holiday' I've ever had. 

The concept is really odd to me, really. can't crave or miss what you've never experienced. I'm sure I will eventually - I secretly wanted to before I turn 30 but that's becoming much less likely - but it's not a particular drive of mine.

Sheltered lil welsh sheep, what can I say. 

5 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

You'd have people to go with (the entire Meat-up)!

If it actually happened it would be much more of an incentive for me, believe me haha

• Like 1

I've still only met one person from here, Watcher

GrandpaReefer was at the same show as me in 2009 but we never met up. I think Tyler peace sign was at the same show as me too once.

A meat up would be quite the scene

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

GrandpaReefer was at the same show as me in 2009 but we never met up. I think Tyler peace sign was at the same show as me too once.

considering our combined organisational skills are usually less than stellar (skateboard and Christmas mailings, for example) it would probably be a total mess, but a mess I'd probably enjoy being a part of. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ghent said:

@JarJarBlinks is fake news confirmed

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

I wish they'd stay away from doing Tom-Only songs too, not out of reverence to Tom but because it sounds like a cover band and isn't really necessary now that they have 30 songs with Skiba to choose from. I get that they need to play hits like First Date and ATST but there's no reason to have Skiba take over something like Dumpweed or Anthem Part II, let alone particularly personal songs like Not Now or Wishing Well. They should leave that stuff behind. It's a new band now dudes, play your new songs.

• Like 3