Golden Shower in the Golden State riff

Andrew182

So i have been getting around to listening to Tom's ''Demo's, odds and ends'' album which is apparently some random shit Tom wrote and had lying around, a bit late to the game considering it came out in 2015. I turned on Golden Shower in the Golden State and sort of felt like i had heard the riff before. I thought to myself, hmm this sounds very ''Descendents like'', but i couldn't figure out what it sounded like until i finally got it some hours later... the riff is basically the same one used in All's song ''Million Bucks'' 

Not gonna rip on Tom too much but i mean cmon he basically stole the riff, what are you guys thoughts on this?

Compare this with this

• Like 2

I don't think they are similar tbh but I do get why people could think of them as similar. Sounds nowhere near as recycled as the riffs from Anthem Part 2/Everything's Magic or Snake Charmer/The Machine/Secret Crowds or Natives/Young London or his vocal melodies like Ghost on the Dance Floor/There Is or Surrender/The Adventure.

40 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I don't think they are similar tbh but I do get why people could think of them as similar. Sounds nowhere near as recycled as the riffs from Anthem Part 2/Everything's Magic or Snake Charmer/The Machine/Secret Crowds or Natives/Young London or his vocal melodies like Ghost on the Dance Floor/There Is or Surrender/The Adventure.

I have always thought that one is a stretch, but that’s just me..

the riff definately similiar to anthem pt 2 if you just play the riff.

But the context is so different on those two songs that it doesn't sound similiar at all. quite clever actually.

but if we're talking 'bout ripoffs...this shit is still hilarious to me... did he ever think he could release this as an original song? lol

and yeah i know its by jose gonzalez..

but even the final wolfpack version... that synth bass is such a ripoff..

i don't care about it, but i thinks it's hilarious to think tom thought at some point, that could be a plausible version for the record

2 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

the riff definately similiar to anthem pt 2 if you just play the riff.

But the context is so different on those two songs that it doesn't sound similiar at all. quite clever actually.

but if we're talking 'bout ripoffs...this shit is still hilarious to me... did he ever think he could release this as an original song? lol

and yeah i know its by jose gonzalez..

but even the final wolfpack version... that synth bass is such a ripoff..

i don't care about it, but i thinks it's hilarious to think tom thought at some point, that could be a plausible version for the record

I'm pretty sure The Knife is the original, and Jose's is the cover. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

you don't think they are similar? they are almost identical.

the original:

e|---------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------|
G|-------4-4-4-------3-3-3-1-1-----|
D|-1-1-1-------4-4-4-----------2-2-|
A|---------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------|

tom's version:

G|-------4-4-4---------------------|
D|-1-1-1-------1-1-1-2-2-2-4-4-2-2-|

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

you don't think they are similar? they are almost identical.

the original:

G|-------4-4-4-------3-3-3-1-1-----|
D|-1-1-1-------4-4-4-----------2-2-|

tom's version:

G|-------4-4-4---------------------|
D|-1-1-1-------1-1-1-2-2-2-4-4-2-2-|

those tabs make no sense at all....

i know its basicaly anthem pt 2 with another note added...still the sound of the song is totally different