Arrested Development - Season 5 soon and Season 4 remix this Friday

Meltdown Tracker

I only read it and yeah, I felt bad after it. What a mess.

Not to defend Bateman and co., but I understand what he was trying to do. I think he admires Tambor a lot and wanted to protect him as somebody who has worked closely with him for years and probably gets defensive about his friend. In the industry, what Tambor probably did (at least on the AD set) is not unheard of. Bateman has been in the industry most of his life and has probably encountered much worse, and at least knows Tambor is temperamental. But by trying to contextualize this behavior, he's tonally adrift to what JW's own plight and her legit qualms with Tambor, which I think she was being honest about and also saying she would continue to work with him. They all seem to be fine now, but it is sad that they have to atone for Tambor's behavior in such a way. From what I've read, Tambor is just not easy to work with. He's pissy and moody but probably not horrible (at least on the AD set). I think the cast mostly thinks this, but with his other allegations, they're willing to defend him from that. So this just made it worse.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrested-development-uk-press-appearances-canceled-jeffrey-tambor-backlash-1114730

• Like 1

It just irritates me that Bateman was like "I sound like, I sound like..." because it implies that he wasn't excusing Tambor, being insensitive to Jessica, etc, it just sounded like he was. But he was, and that's the problem. That may not have been his intention to behave that way, but he did. So I guess it's nice that he apologized, but it also wasn't very satisfying.

I think they were all hyper-aware of the fact that any attention being brought to Tambor's abusive history could negatively affect the show and they were trying to mitigate that by making it seem like he's a good guy and "just a temperamental actor." Of course, this backfired big time and now people (justifiably) think negatively of Tambor as well as Bateman, Cross and Hale.

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

I think they were all hyper-aware of the fact that any attention being brought to Tambor's abusive history could negatively affect the show and they were trying to mitigate that by making it seem like he's a good guy and "just a temperamental actor." Of course, this backfired big time and now people (justifiably) think negatively of Tambor as well as Bateman, Cross and Hale.

I think that's true, but I also think they generally really, really admire the man. Cross said he even talked to the creator of Transparent about Tambor and said he feels comfortable taking his back, and it seems like the rest do as well. Undoubtedly they're covering for his behavior, but I think they know that it would unfair to just criticize him only for it. Tambor isn't the only one on that set that has unloaded on people, apparently.  

http://gothamist.com/2018/05/24/david_cross_arrested_development.php

In this interview, Cross says that Jessica had her own outburst on set towards Portia’s stand in although it wasn’t as bad as Tambor’s outburst. I understand her problem with never being yelled that way on set before, but if she’s behaving in a somewhat similar way I’m definitely less sympathetic to her. David sounds like he’s dancing around saying that they’re all assholes on set except for Michael Cera and Maeby and that’s why they were playing it down, but don’t want to say that because them all being assholes is still very problematic.

44 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

I wonder how bad the situation got with Tambor. Are we talking Christian Bale rant on the Terminator set? 

You know, apparently that guy had it coming. I listened to a podcast and Guinevere Turner (co-wrote the screenplay for American Psycho) said she knew that guy and he's notorious for being disruptive. I thought that was kind of funny.

I watched the first two episodes of the new season. It's pretty good. In terms of quality, it's not as good as the first three seasons, but a step above the fourth season (even with the remix). It relies on Ron Howard's narration a bit too much. Also, Lindsay being green-screened on almost every scene is a bit weird. I'd give it a 7.5/10 so far. 

Interesting. I'm three episodes in and I've laughed out loud maybe twice. The fourth season is still better at this point, imo.

I wonder when they're going to release the other episodes.

Just finished the episodes that we got. It got much stronger toward the end of this collection--it felt like the old AD! I'm excited for the release of the next half of the season.

Genuinely really enjoyed the first half of season 5.  Considerably better than what they did with season 4, there are still parts of it that I'm not crazy about like making Ron Howard an actual character within the series.  It was a great little moment in the initial finale when he appeared, but him popping up here and there really alienates me in a weird way that I can't quite explain.  It doesn't ruin the series by any means, but still I think it'd be better without it.  All the same, can't wait for the second half of season 5 and it overall does feel like the return to form that I hoped it would be.

• 1 month later...