The blink-182 Safe Space

Ghent

10 hours ago, Olidamus said:

I think it would be ok; Blink could obviously use 2 guitars.

I still find talking about about Tom rejoining, even if hypothetical, just odd.

Its like: When do you think your are going to get back together with your EX GF you dated in high school? Answer: I am not.

It's more like thinking about having a threesome with your ex GF and your current wife haha

• Like 1

Two songs that stand out for me from California: Bottom of the Ocean and Long Lost Feeling

These two have ended up as my favourites from California, just like Kaleidoscope ended up being my favourite from Neighborhoods. I liked those two songs on my first listen actually. But usually it takes me about a year or two to find out if I love it or not. Those two songs are ones I've gotta play most days from my iTunes.

Bottom of the Ocean is just everything I look for in music. As a songwriter that uses a lot of electronic elements in my own stuff, this song is massively appreciated by me. As for Long Lost Feeling, I love the sadness of it. I love the mellow sound and I love how the ending is. The drums pick up, Travis just smashing the hell out of that snare, then just nothing. Just a long lost feeling. Sounds beautiful. And the ahhhhs are what blink should be doing a bit more of rather than woahs or gang vocals, as long as it's not overused. Blink used to do that quite a bit in the Dude Ranch era. I also get a BCR vibe from this song. The guitars, the drums in the verses. It does sound kinda like BCR to me and I don't know why, but I love it.

One other song that has grown on me is The Only Thing That Matters. On first listen, I found it trash despite it sounding like TOYPAJ era blink. I found it boring. But now, I listen to it and it's just a blink song man. I'm actually rating the song. It doesn't stand out but it's definitely a good song IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Also call me crazy, but the Aoki BTD remix is a BANGER. I’d go nuts if I heard it at a bar/party lol.

The vocals sound so clean! And also, even if it's not my type of music, I can't deny it's catchy.

12 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Two songs that stand out for me from California: Bottom of the Ocean and Long Lost Feeling

These two have ended up as my favourites from California, just like Kaleidoscope ended up being my favourite from Neighborhoods. I liked those two songs on my first listen actually. But usually it takes me about a year or two to find out if I love it or not. Those two songs are ones I've gotta play most days from my iTunes.

Bottom of the Ocean is just everything I look for in music. As a songwriter that uses a lot of electronic elements in my own stuff, this song is massively appreciated by me. As for Long Lost Feeling, I love the sadness of it. I love the mellow sound and I love how the ending is. The drums pick up, Travis just smashing the hell out of that snare, then just nothing. Just a long lost feeling. Sounds beautiful. And the ahhhhs are what blink should be doing a bit more of rather than woahs or gang vocals, as long as it's not overused. Blink used to do that quite a bit in the Dude Ranch era. I also get a BCR vibe from this song. The guitars, the drums in the verses. It does sound kinda like BCR to me and I don't know why, but I love it.

One other song that has grown on me is The Only Thing That Matters. On first listen, I found it trash despite it sounding like TOYPAJ era blink. I found it boring. But now, I listen to it and it's just a blink song man. I'm actually rating the song. It doesn't stand out but it's definitely a good song IMO.

Long Lost Feeling is great

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kay said:

(this is going to seem hate filled but bear with me)

I've spent a lot of time being angry at Tom Delonge - for more than a decade, at this point. that anger has lessened in the last couple of years, mostly because it seems silly to be angry at someone who's clearly delusional - and also because I'm almost 30 and maybe having so many emotional responses to someone I've never met is not healthy for a normal adult - but it's also lessened because California, and the later AVA releases, allowed me to slow my roll a little and re-evaluate. 

So now, I look back over blinks history and in some ways I can appreciate it more now than I have for a few years. I usually have a mad eye-rolling session when people make a big fuss about Tom as a guitarist, for example. because he's fairly rubbish in that area. his lyrics are awful. his voice is a cheese-grater at this point in time.

The thing I always skip over though, is that he's a bloody good songwriter. He takes incredibly mediocre, and at times just plain bad parts and puts them together and can write amazing songs with it. I listen to older blink stuff, even stuff on Neighborhoods now, and I can see them as full songs more than I ever could - before these odd little parts would poke out at me, distracting me, and they'd be all I could hear when I listened to those songs. now that I'm less angry about it all it's like I can listen to the songs completely, on each level, without getting irrationally mad. 

Just out of curiosity, what parts did you consider so bad that they distracted you from the song and made you angry in the past?

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Just out of curiosity, what parts did you consider so bad that they distracted you from the song and made you angry in the past?

Really dumb things, too many to list really. mostly lyrical/vocal. Neighborhoods was probably the worst offender for it ("God invented chills" "like a Ferris wheel full of blue green eyes" "each and every yeeuughhh ehh errr" "It's all static, just like my televsion") or the over abundance of synth, let ring guitars, stuff like that. there are examples from earlier in their career, but they're more few and far between before BCR - I think as soon as Tom wanted us to take him seriously I started actually caring about the meaning, the delivery, the artistry - it's easier to just accept things when it's just chill dudes having a laugh. 

• Like 1

I was going to respond to a comment about the Kings of the Weekend theme in a different thread, but I better stay in the safe space so I don't get triggered.

I really like it. To me, the Kings of the Weekend thing is very relatable to me now that I work 45 hours a week. I think it's an appropriate, universal theme for a band like blink at this stage in their career.