Blink on Kimmel

Chewy030

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

lol at the idea that blink used to "absolutely dominate" live. cringe

They sounded like absolute balls live in 2003/2004, the pinnacle of blink for most of the posters here.

Yeah they were NEVERRRR a band that seemed comfortable playing on TV. They were great to see live because of the energy and the comedy but those things don't translate to sterile studio audience performances and it's obvious the band felt the same way when you look back on old videos. Aside from a couple examples they usually looked nervous and awkward.

And the title for Worst TV Performance In Blink History has to be that first post-reunion ATST on Jay Leno or whatever, that was a straight up embarrassment haha

• Like 2
  • Love 1

They always sounded pretty bad in live performance. There's a different between fun bad and boring bad though. I'd argue that these performances are better performed than many of blink's earlier performances, but definitely boringer. 

14 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

They weren't really that great during the reunion either... Toms Guitar tone and drunken slurs etc. 

And they also got owned by Green Day on the pop disasters tour.

We all love blink, but MAJOR revisionist history pretending like they used to be some kind of incredible live band. Their shows have always been fun and sloppy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

So is watching my parents have sex, doesn't mean I want to watch/listen to it.

yeah, it means you have some troubles that make you watch your parent’s sex

anyway, it was statement of fact, my opinion, based on two last live shows, nothing else.

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

We all love blink, but MAJOR revisionist history pretending like they used to be some kind of incredible live band. Their shows have always been fun and sloppy.

But that's whats missing now.

The sloppiness is because they were always playing too fast and running around - which doesn't happen now, because they're strictly following the actual recording on stage.

Because of that, it's not fun.

What blink lacked in performance prowess they made up for in energy and enthusiasm - neither of which is on display.

If anything, they're lack of ability is highlighted way more without the fast pace and running around to make up for it. now it's just painfully obvious and naked. 

I do agree though that both a lot of the 2003/2004 performances were awful and that they've basically not sounded good live since like 2001. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

What exactly is fun about this live run of Blink at the moment? I think that's where a lot of people are upset.

I get these guys are getting up there, but if there isn't going to be that "fun" dynamic live then please perform the songs tight. I defended Skiba from the get go, but man, it's been how many years and he is still botching crucial parts of songs and looks completely disinterested in the material. What seriously gives? You could pull guys from the crowd to stare at the prompter and miss chords all night long.... 

• Like 3

I just don't understand why Mark sounds like he's never sang in his life. There's no oomph behind his vocals at all. Maybe I don't know anything since I've never really performed live. Matt's mic doesn't sound full in the slightest, either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ghent said:

They might be the only great band to just steadily get worse and worse at playing live as their prime went on haha. I would say they were good live for a punk band in their early touring years, really good live in the Dude Ranch-ish era, GREAT live in the Enema era, then ever since then they've just gone bizarrely downhill in multiple ways haha.

The changes in Tom's live singing are still a goddamn mystery because he used to sing perfectly fine back in the day, and aside from that ever since the early 2000s we've gotten things like backing tracks, Mark's deteriorating voice, worse sounding equipment, Tom ringing out notes instead of strumming, Skiba's lack of energy/guitar riff skills, no more comedy, ridiculously short sets, etc. If it wasn't for Travis our favorite band's live show would probably belong at state fairs haha

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ghent said:

lol at the idea that blink used to "absolutely dominate" live. cringe

They sounded like absolute balls live in 2003/2004, the pinnacle of blink for most of the posters here.

Bullshit.

I'd post videos of Miss You from 2004 and compare them to now, but it would be a waste because you'd just say "lol" or some other one liner.

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I had a great time at the two shows with Skiba I've been to. Fun times confirmed!

I enjoyed the VIP, and finally meeting Blink.

The shows sucked balls for me. The crowd for one thing, was full of total assholes, the sound wasn't that great, the show itself, wasn't that exciting, Skiba just stood there. They rushed thru their greatest hits setlist and ran off the stage.

Not even from 2004 - can't believe what a difference Tom actually made to the live shows. Singing sucks balls, as everyone has mentioned blink was never great at that but - wow. Comparatively? Not a chance new blink holds up - and this is exactly what I mean. Take Tom out of this video and just focus on Mark, especially during the outro (hes even wearing the same damn shirt as the Kimmel performance lol)- and you can see exactly what the new blink is lacking. Mark being the lead-man here really does show you why Tom was so essential to this bands success - both of them were incredibly complimentary to one another. 

And by no means do I think Tom fairs any better on his solo stuff or with AVA - he is god awful with that band live. The two need each other. But as I said - one guy is bastardizing a side project where another one has the expectations to uphold a legacy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

Not even from 2004 - can't believe what a difference Tom actually made to the live shows. Singing sucks balls, as everyone has mentioned blink was never great at that but - wow. Comparatively? Not a chance new blink holds up - and this is exactly what I mean. Take Tom out of this video and just focus on Mark, especially during the outro - and you can see what the new blink is lacking. Mark the lead-man here really does show you why Tom was so essential to this bands success - both of them were incredibly complimentary to one another. 

And by no means do I think Tom fairs any better on his solo stuff or with AVA - he is god awful with that band live. The two need each other. But as I said - one guy is bastardizing a side project where another one has the expectations to uphold a legacy. 

You nailed it

And that performance is a heck of a lot better than Miss you from last night.

• Like 1

The problem has become very apparent in these last couple pages and all roads lead back to John Feldmann. Its not really Skiba's fault.

Because Skiba sounds great in that 2010 video, and has stage presence.

So why is he so fucked in Blink? Because he has no creative control, he has no ability to take the band and reinvent it to his liking. Instead he has some suit and tie saw off prick running the show. So he is just a guitarist for hire.

I wouldn't be inspired onstage either if I was Matt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

The problem has become very apparent in these last couple pages and all roads lead back to John Feldmann. Its not really Skiba's fault.

Because Skiba sounds great in that 2010 video, and has stage presence.

So why is he so fucked in Blink? Because he has no creative control, he has no ability to take the band and reinvent it to his liking. Instead he has some suit and tie saw off prick running the show. So he is just a guitarist for hire.

I wouldn't be inspired onstage either if I was Matt.

Yeah I obviously have Feldy issues too but from another angle I think Skiba would still feel more ownership within the band if they would focus more on their 30 new songs they have released with him in the band. Tom's vocals were awful in that Miss You video, but there was still some sort of magic that comes with the guys who wrote the song playing it together. You can just see from watching them that there is that comfort and chemistry there, as weird and deformed as it was at that time. 

Skiba can't just flip a switch and capture that feeling with someone else's songs, and if I were him I would honestly be getting pretty bored and fed up with playing all these songs that have nothing to do with him. As someone who thinks Cali and Cali II were a big step down from Blink's other albums, I STILL wish they would just dive into the new era and focus on the songs that were written by the new lineup. There are 30 of them for gods sake, throw Skiba a bone!

• Like 2