Blink on Kimmel

Chewy030

17 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I know, right? I see Bad Religion every year, the next time is in a couple of weeks for the Suffer anniversary, and it's pretty insane how tight they sound. 

Lagwagon and NOFX too though. I don't know how they can still sound so good live after 30 years of drink and drug abuse. They all have two guitars on stage, but I think blink has a bigger problem than just having one guitar.

Exactly. The YouTube videos just don't do them justice at all. It never occurred to me with other bands, but blink is like the only band in the world that it's totally different when you're there.  

the problem with blink's live shows is the strict tempo. without backing tracks and the unnecessary stage production, the songs would sound better. i can understand the point that they want the songs to sound as the songs were written, but i prefer if the show goes a bit wilder. that's the spirit of all live performances. they don't have to be faster, they just need to be less "perfect". i really like atst when my friends play that song live with only 3 instruments (guitar, bass, drums), but blink's "perfect" version with the loud backing track is horrible for me.

• Like 2

I think it's simpler: they just need to improve as musicians.

By 'they' I mean Mark and Matt.

It's not a question about speed. I mean, we all have seen live lots of different bands, and lots of them sounding pretty tight, aside from their speed while playing. Speed can make up mistakes -and can make a and sound funnier and more energetic-, but it doesn't make you avoid those mistakes. So when you slow down, and you're still making mistakes, those are more 'visible'.

Moreover, it looks like blink ONLY rehearses when they are heading up to an event, show or tour. That's what we can 'read' from their instagram accounts. So, my guess is that they just get 'disbanded' while not being on tour or not having any show on the near future. Well... lots of bands keep on playing and rehearsing, even if it's done in other projects, they just keep 'trained'. And that is something you can clearly see blink doesn't do.

I think it shows on the live performances. There's an evident lack of musicianship and live skills due to lack of practice.

• Like 2

There's no excuse for Matt to be messing up songs after being with the band for a couple of years. It looks terrible on his part.

Brooks Wackerman killed it on the drums when he filled in for Travis during the Australian tour. And he only had a couple of weeks to practice with the band before they played shows.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dylan_ said:

There's no excuse for Matt to be messing up songs after being with the band for a couple of years. It looks terrible on his part.

Brooks Wackerman killed it on the drums when he filled in for Travis during the Australian tour. And he only had a couple of weeks to practice with the band before they played shows.

It doesn't matter if you've been on the road with the band for one day...you get hired to take over co-lead of blink 182...literally to cover half their songs live...you need to get that shit down pat by day 1.  I would be up till 4 in the morning every night until I had things perfected out of respect for the opportunity.

40 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I still don't understand where they mess up so badly? I can understand the complaints about Skiba being a bit boring, not liking particular guitar tones, bad live mixing, and maybe even this immeasurable lack of chemistry to some extent, but the musical performance really is fine IMHO. Yeah Mark has trouble holding some notes but it's a live performance, he's not Adele. Travis didn't miss a beat, and I didn't hear any major hiccups from Matt/Mark on guitar/bass, nor did Matt mess up any lyrics on these... 

This all comes down to people missing Tom's stage presence, and unfairly comparing Matt to Tom IMHO. It's fine, I get it.

@Ghost do you really think Mark and Trav need to practice ATST/WMAA/Rock Show etc? They've been playing the same songs for 20 years! They just had a tour playing the same songs every day for 1.5 years.... Matt can play these songs until his finger bleeds, he'll still mess up occasionally because it's 1. Live 2. Tom's songs 3. He forgets his own songs live. 

giphy.gif

They could practice all day every day, Matt will never have the stage presence you guys want him to have. It's just not gonna happen, people as crazy/vulgar as Tom on stage are rare. 

Man, I don't want anything from anyone. I don't expect anything, either. Of course, they don't have to rehearse on a daily basis. I'm not saying that. I'm just pointing out what looks really evident to me. Something's going on.

If you're a true musician for more than 20 years, and after playing those easy-as-fuck songs thousands of times, you keep on making mistakes, then you have a problem to solve. If you're the new guy and you keep on fucking up those easy as fuck songs after 3 years, then you have a problem too. I don't care about anything else. You can find tons of examples about new musicians on other bands. One that comes to my mind: Robert Trujillo when joined Metallica, for example. That was brutal.

But hey, if you go and compare similar bands -punkrock bands- as blink in terms of age, you find how bad blink is growing older. Again, we all have seen tons of bands, similar ages, doing it much beter than blink. Probably playing faster or slower than the records. And they just nail it. Blink, nowadays, doesn't. And moreover, blink have shown on the past that they are able to performe on a pretty decent way, and, at least, the speed up live show was real they showed up real energy. Now they show a plain performance at best. Mark is becoming onable to sing his own parts and Matt... I'm still figuring out how Matt is trying to fit there.

Why are they getting worse (except for Travis) over the years? Well... age is not an excuse for me, so the next things are those I exposed before: lack of practice and lose/lack of musicianship. If you know a diferent one, I'm open to read about.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I got into blink when I first heard "Feeling This" around late summer of '03 I think (I knew of them from their previous hits but didn't think much of them).

I then saw the live version of Feeling This on TRL and LOVED the fact that the live version strayed from the album version, and that they played fast, kinda sloppy, and with lots of energy. That's when they became my favorite band. Tom's gone, they're old now, and it's just not the same anymore. I guess this is growing up.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Man blink sounds like shit on YouTube.

It's still always fun to see them in person though, and it always sounds way better when you're actually there. Even if the time I saw them with Matt was the worst time I saw them, it was still an incredibly fun night. I'm actually starved to see them again. I'd love to go to a blink show right now.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, Dylan_ said:

This!
I'd never seen Blink before this tour because of illness, as a lot of you OG members will know, but Brooks was fucking tight at this gig!  Didn't miss anything, and with only a week or so notice.  I'm so fucking happy I at least got to see Mark and Tom onstage together.  I would only go to a show now to see Travis.  And seeing as though he doesn't travel, I'll have to go to the states.
To me, it's just not Blink anymore.