Solo: A Star Wars Story

theedge00

On 7/9/2018 at 3:54 PM, Ghent said:

Then you would be here crying that they didn't include the Kessel Run.

They can totally include the Kessel Run. Just not wise in my book to include it immediately after meeting Chewie, Lando, winning the Falcon, getting the dice etc.

I think this movie's strengths were in characters not indebted to the original trilogy. They should've embraced it more. I liked the Game of Thrones girl and to an extent Woody, but it felt like, structurally, they were trying to spoon feed us fanfare from the Harrison Ford days rather than truly embracing the potential of untold stories.

As for your comment, I know you don't like me even though I check into the site you fucking own every day all because of my tastes in the Cali album, but can't you at least try to have a normal conversation with me that isn't a smart-ass reply? Like clearly we both love Star Wars. Let's just have a normal conversation regarding the new movie and let the past blink squabbling stay there. I even enjoyed Solo. Didn't love it like Rogue 1 or Last Jedi, but it was fine, though I do think it was more of a B or B- rather than an A++. Does that mean I can't give some thoughts that have been on my mind since seeing it? And does that mean I hated the movie? No, just that it wasn't perfect by any means. Wasn't a botch job like Force Awakens was either.

But if you need to paint me into the corner with all the other toxic "fanboys" polluting the Star Wars fandom in order for you to defend Solo from my reasonable critiques, go ahead and start your own fan fiction.

Anyone else willing to talk about this movie?

It is a little convenient that everything happened so close together. I think they were just playing it safe though and include all the "big moments" in one movie, in case they didn't ever get to make a sequel (which they might not).

There has to be more story to tell though, especially between Han and Lando. There's no way this was the last time they ever saw each other until The Empire Strikes Back. Lando absolutely hates hate at the end of Solo, there's no reason to believe they're really "old friends" in Empire if their entire history was covered in the Solo movie.

Also the rumor's going around that Billy Dee Williams is reprising his role as Lando in Episode 9. I've been waiting for this ever since the sequel trilogy was announced, so I hope it's true!

I saw someone say it'd be great if he had a moment in the Falcon, and he's able to "reunite" with L3 in a way. I'd like that. Hell, just give Lando the Falcon back.

4 hours ago, Ghent said:

I don’t have high hopes for 80 year Billy Dee Williams doing anything too great in ep 9 but I hope I’m wrong.

I want the falcon to be Rey’s

I just want to see him in the movie.

I bet other than Chewie and the droids, Lando has the strongest connection to Kylo Ren of anyone living. I’d be super curious to see him and Kylo interact.

In the canon book “Last Shot,” two-year-old Ben Solo absolutely adores Lando.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jon Kasdan posted a cool thread of random facts about Solo on Twitter:

Some highlights:

• They went to Wookieepedia to look up spaceports on Corellia (the first planet in the movie). They picked Coronet Spaceport and used it as the setting for the first part of the movie.
  • "Oi'ra casually references an Ithorian antiquities dealer named Dok-Ondar. Remember that name. You'll see it again someday."
  • "The relationship between Han and Qi'ra was never intended to be concluded at the end of this movie. It's a story I hope we get to tell more of someday 'cause I like their diverging paths."
  • Bossk was originally going to be part of Enfys Nest's team
  • "Again, this was always intended to be just the first and second acts of their story. The third act, the resolution of Han and Qi'ra, has yet to be told."
  • "If you felt like it was just a cheap stunt, I suppose that's fair, but the truth is Maul was built into the design of Solo in many subtle ways, including the name Crimson Dawn, the artifacts in Dryden's study, and Qi'ra's use of Teras Kasi. Maul is my favorite character from the prequel trilogy. I love that Dave Filoni brought him back and expanded on his stroy in Clone Wars and Rebels. I love that there is at least some continuity between the shows and movies."

Kind of a bummer, it sounds like they really were hoping to make a sequel to this, and now it probably won't happen.

Anyway, it's out on digital now! Can't wait to finally watch it again.

• Like 1

I still think there will be a sequel eventually. The movie is solid and has a lot of nerdy depth to it. If enough demand is built over the next couple of years I think it will get the green light.

Cmon, Qi’ra working with Darth Maul on Dathomir and having some kind of relationship with Han while he’s working with Jabba sounds amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

My blu-ray came. Watched the movie again tonight. I still love it. My favorite Star Wars outside of the original trilogy.

This movie just makes me happy.

I can’t believe how well Alden plays Han. He doesn’t do any sort of Harrison impersonation at any time, yet he still feels 100% Han all the time. I never would have thought that possible.

• Like 1