What Should a Modern Blink-182 Setlist Look Like?

Champ182

With the Vegas run coming up and lots of recent discussion about how Matt still seems like an outsider, I started thinking that they need to inject way more California Era songs into the setlist. Even as someone who thought those albums were a big step down, I still think shows would be MUCH more entertaining and less like a cover band if they just leaned into the new era instead of trotting Matt out there to play 90% old songs that have nothing to do with him. He’s at an immediate disadvantage, especially if he’s singing a Tom song. Let Skiba be Skiba! And to do that, they need to put way more focus on songs that they released with him as a member of the band. Like I said in another thread, they have 30 songs with him! Go nuts!

To keep things realistic I kept the set length similar to what they’ve been doing lately, and included most of the hits and live standards because it makes complete sense to keep playing a bunch of songs that people know and love. I threw in some different deep cuts to keep weeding out the Tom-only songs as well. If they really want to keep the band fresh and hope that people just see this as a new and equal part of blink history, they need to let go of some more of the past. What would you all think of a change in focus like this?

California - 9
Cynical
Bored To Death
Left Alone
San Diego
The Only Thing That Matters
Misery
Good Old Days
Hey I'm Sorry
Last Train Home

Neighborhoods - 1
Heart’s All Gone

Untitled - 4
Feeling This
I Miss You
Easy Target
Here’s Your Letter

TOYPAJ - 3
Rock Show
Stay Together For The Kids
Roller Coaster

Enema - 4
Don’t Leave Me
Going Away To College
What’s My Age Again?
Adam’s Song

Dude Ranch - 3
Pathetic
Dammit
Josie

Total – 24 songs
18 Mark + Matt
6 Mark-only
8 hit singles (1/3 of the set)

• Like 4

I think that this setlist is perfect. I agree that we need much more California-era songs in there. Even though I don't like many of those songs, I get the feeling that it's not very exciting to sing and play songs that 1) you didn't write and 2) were written by a guy who you've replaced who has a bad relationship with the rest of the band. How can Skiba view himself as a true member of blink if he's not given the chance to perform his own songs (on top of not being given enough room to truly inject his influence in the first place)?

blink needs to move on from Tom as much as possible, and that includes removing his songs from the setlist. Then maybe Skiba will move closer to feeling like a truer member of the band, which I see as a good thing to getting more authentic blink music.

• Like 1

Cali:*Teenage Satellites good old days, SOFHM, Sober, BtD, Misery, No future, Left Alone

NBH: MH

DeD:, The title track

St: Go, Here's your letter, I Miss You, Stockholm Syndrome, Another Girl, Another planet

TOYPAJ: Online Songs, Rollercoaster, Evertime I look for you, Rock Show, Stfk, 

Enema: Don't leave me, Going Away, Wmaa, Adam's song, Wendy Clear, Dysentary Gary, Atst

Dr: Apple Shampoo, Waggy, Pathetic, Voyeur, Dammit

CS: Strings, Wasting time

Some Sekrets songs could bd cool and more Cure covers with Skiba on vocals. Minimal Tom. They need All the small things though. 

• Like 1

i’ve never been someone that has a problem with the band playing hits...blink’s got an arsenal of them, and it’s what people want to hear. so by and large, im absolutely fine with the setlist (first date included). i’d add at least one song from neighborhoods to represent that album... perhaps wishing well or after midnight. As for album cuts from older albums, I would love if they just rotated out a few every show... dumpweed/don’t leave me/GATC, josie, man overboard, anthem part 2...

oh, and it’s time to cut violence.

Heart's All Gone Interlude + Heart's All Gone
Feeling This
What's My Age Again
Bored to Death
Los Angeles
The Rock Show
Misery
Kings of the Weekend
Adam's Song
Lemmings
Always/Down (Wild Card)
San Diego
Last Train Home
Wendy Clear
Wasting Time
Sober
Kaleidoscope
Cynical/Josie/Dumpweed/MH (Wild Card)
She's Out of Her Mind/Carousel/Wishing Well/Every Time I Look For You (Wild Card)
I Miss You
All The Small Things
Violence/Not Now (Wild Card)
Dammit

California - 8 songs + 2 wild cards

Neighborhoods - 2 songs + 2 wild cards

Smiley Face - 2 songs + 4 wild cards

TOYPAJ - 1 song + 1 wild card

Enema - 4 songs + 1 wild card

Dude Ranch - 2 songs + 1 wild card

Cheshire Cat - 1 song + 1 wild card

Only included wild cards to keep the set list limited to 20-25 songs. They'd be rotating the wild card songs for each show.

• Like 1

I agree, if Matt is going to be here there needs to be as little of Tom songs as possible (especially Tom only songs wtf?) and as much of new songs as possible (even though they suck).

I like your setlist.  I also agree that they need to at least play DED title track once in a while, that little EP isn't something they need to act like never happened.

• Like 1

Feeling This

Rock Show

Cynical

Going Away To College

What's My Age Again

First Date

Bored To Death

Stockholm Syndrome

I Miss You

Misery

Wendy Clear

Online Songs

SOOHM

Always

Adam's Song

6/8

Everytime I Look For You

Long Lost Feeling

Carousel

Encore

ATST

Dammit

Mixture of mainly classic era with a decent amount of Cali. It’s a good bit longer than their criminally short setlists that they play!

I’m really surprised EILFY is never played, it’s one of their most famous non-singles and is a banger!

• Like 1

These setlists are great and I understand why you guys want to cut out the Tom songs, but, if they do that, then they'll have a setlist where Mark has to sing almost everything and he physically can't do it since he's already struggling with almost every song he has to sing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Champ182 said:

With the Vegas run coming up and lots of recent discussion about how Matt still seems like an outsider, I started thinking that they need to inject way more California Era songs into the setlist. Even as someone who thought those albums were a big step down, I still think shows would be MUCH more entertaining and less like a cover band if they just leaned into the new era instead of trotting Matt out there to play 90% old songs that have nothing to do with him. He’s at an immediate disadvantage, especially if he’s singing a Tom song. Let Skiba be Skiba! And to do that, they need to put way more focus on songs that they released with him as a member of the band. Like I said in another thread, they have 30 songs with him! Go nuts!

To keep things realistic I kept the set length similar to what they’ve been doing lately, and included most of the hits and live standards because it makes complete sense to keep playing a bunch of songs that people know and love. I threw in some different deep cuts to keep weeding out the Tom-only songs as well. If they really want to keep the band fresh and hope that people just see this as a new and equal part of blink history, they need to let go of some more of the past. What would you all think of a change in focus like this?

California - 9
Cynical
Bored To Death
Left Alone
San Diego
Misery
Good Old Days
Hey I'm Sorry
Last Train Home

Neighborhoods - 1
Heart’s All Gone

Untitled - 4
Feeling This
I Miss You
Easy Target
Here’s Your Letter

TOYPAJ - 3
Rock Show
Stay Together For The Kids
Roller Coaster

Enema - 4
Don’t Leave Me
Going Away To College
What’s My Age Again?
Adam’s Song

Dude Ranch - 3
Pathetic
Dammit
Josie

Total – 24 songs
18 Mark + Matt
6 Mark-only
8 hit singles (1/3 of the set)

Man count me in on this set list! I'd kick out "Hey I'm Sorry" and throw in SOOHM because it's super fun live.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Where the hell is Cheshire Cat?

But for real, their setlist should go like this:

Tom comes on stage and Matt Skiba jumps into the crowd.

1. Family Reunion (all the moms will leave)

2. Degenerate

3. Pathetic

4. M+Ms

5. Carousel

6. Dick Lips

at this point some classic banter happens

7. Ben Wah Balls

8. Wasting Time

9. Wrecked Him

10. Zulu

Encore

11. Dammit

Mark, Tom, and Travis all jump into the crowd and a saint-like image of Scott Raynor appears on all screens everywhere, even on the crowd's phones.