Music Club Wk1 - Charly Bliss - Guppy

Kay

MUSIC CLUB - WEEK 1 -

CHARLY BLISS - "GUPPY"

Charly-Bliss-Guppy-1492454718-compressed

@boxelder has nominated "Guppy" to start us off, he thinks it's similar enough to the sort of styles liked around here. he describes it as Weezer with a female singer. 

Ya'll have one week to give it a spin and leave a review, if you're stuck on how to review it here's some basic ideas - 

Love It Or Hate It, What Do You Love, What Do You Hate?

Stand Out Tracks

Would You Recommend It?

What Does It Sound Similar To?

Would You Listen To It Again?

Notable Sounds / Lyrics

In the spoiler is the youtube playlist, Spotify album, and apple music link. 

Have fun! 

Spoiler

YouTube - 

Spotify - 

Apple Music - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/guppy/1198238210

• Like 1

If anyone is curious, each weeks persons choice will be dependent on a number of factors, how their previous review was, how recently they proposed one, how involved they are, that sort've jazz. if I can't tell I'll probably just do a random number generator or something. 

hey all :) i chose this album like kay mentioned cause i don't think it's too far off from peoples' tastes here... it's weezer-esque pop punk. it's also a helluva lotta fun IMO. i'll get the ball rolling with a mini review!

by and large, this is a collection of really strong songs with killer hooks and some really rad instrumentation all-around... a lot of fun guitar parts, and the drumming is massive too. and since this is a blink board, i figured most might not have a problem with some whiny, adenoidal singing. my gf haaaaates the singer... she thinks she sounds like tommy pickles or she's trying too hard. and i've heard stuff about how singing like that can permanently fuck up your voice, so i'm not so sure of it either. but layered atop the loud-ass guitars, it really stands out and gives the band something unique. the only negatives to me for the album is the cover itself... it's atocious haha. the jacket is really cute though, it had so much going for it lol.

stand out tracks: glitter (my fav), percolator, DQ, scare u

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

hey all :) i chose this album like kay mentioned cause i don't think it's too far off from peoples' tastes here... it's weezer-esque pop punk. it's also a helluva lotta fun IMO. i'll get the ball rolling with a mini review!

by and large, this is a collection of really strong songs with killer hooks and some really rad instrumentation all-around... a lot of fun guitar parts, and the drumming is massive too. and since this is a blink board, i figured most might not have a problem with some whiny, adenoidal singing. my gf haaaaates the singer... she thinks she sounds like tommy pickles or she's trying too hard. and i've heard stuff about how singing like that can permanently fuck up your voice, so i'm not so sure of it either. but layered atop the loud-ass guitars, it really stands out and gives the band something unique. the only negatives to me for the album is the cover itself... it's atocious haha. the jacket is really cute though, it had so much going for it lol.

stand out tracks: glitter (my fav), percolator, DQ, scare u

I kind of assumed from looking at it that the aim with the cover was to look 90s af. and I think they achieved that haha

So I've been able to listen to it after dinner. Downloaded it last night, and gave it a spin which ended a few minutes ago.

I like it. Somehow, the first that caught my attention was the voice of the singer. A little bit chimpmuk-esque, so to say, but once you get used to it, no problem.

Musically, te album, to me, if I had to define it using a comparison with other artists or records, I'd say it has some pinch of Weezer, MCS, yeah, but also like a kind of post-grunge? feel, a la Verbena (awesome band that I BAN YOU ALL to listen, as long as is a future recommendation). Also, it has some Elastica drops here and there. It's really cool, and more eclectic than it may sound on a first listen. So, in general terms, I like that kind of blend between punkrock, grunge, and britpop I hear there.

I love those turns they make to break the tone sometimes using sharp or flat notes, I don't know if I'm explaining myself. It brings a more dynamic feel to the overall tone of the record, and also sounds more fresh. It shows like two sides: one brighter than another.

Also, I like he use of the keyboards/synths, diverse and interesting. Just in the correct dose.

Definitely, I'm gonna listen to it again.

• Like 2

Although the mixing was a little too rough around the edges for my taste it fits with the overall sound that the band clearly is aiming for. The voice of the vocalist is original. The song that did stand out for me was Ruby, that made me think of Weezer. A great song that got a add to my playlist, I don't think I will be listening to the rest of the album that much again though..

• Like 1

This girl doesn't have a conventionally great voice but I prefer people who feel real and try to bring emotion over quality. I think after the first song it gels with the candy-shine/weezercore instrumentals. The melodies are cool and the lyrics I caught seemed pretty weird, which I'm into, but I have to listen to it a few more times. I'll come back in a couple of days.

I think the cover is great because it reflects the sound of the band! 

• Like 2

I listened in work today. 

I think overall it's definitely unique whilst also being poppy-indie enough to be familiar, not too jarring. Her voice was a little odd at first but I got really comfortable with it quite quickly, I can kind of see the Weezer resemblance but mostly it just screams weird 90s girl bands - which I dig! 

I don't know about stand out tracks yet, as I had it more like background listening whilst I was working, but I definitely paused to check the title for Black Hole. I think I will give it a spin again for sure, not sure if it would make it's way onto a playlist or anything though. I may listen again in the week and focus my thoughts a bit more :) nice record to kick off, @boxelder!

the next thread will hopefully be Thursday evening (GMT...or BST...whatever the hell British time is currently) so that's roughly two days away, I'm going to nominate @Elisa to come up with our next record. Just PM me with your choice - give me some background as well - I'll tag you in the thread when it's ready ;) 

This thread will remain open though so people can discuss the record. 

• Like 1

I'll admit, not all of it totally lands for me, but when it does, it's great. I think I dig Charly Bliss' music but I'll never be able to completely get comfortable with her voice and become a *real fan* but I can see why people really like them. 

Ruby and Gatorade are two songs that I enjoy a lot though. 

I remember listening to this album last year. I understand the Weezer (especially Pinkerton era) comparison. The vocals are so sugarsweet, that's pretty neat. At times it makes me think of Dressy Bessy, which is a good thing, but not as good as Dressy Bessy of course. The synths reminds me of something I can't really put my finger on. I guess the album isn't the best thing I've ever heard, but it's not awful either. I don't like "Black Hole" much. "Ruby" made me think of the Muffs, at least in the beginning. Why are so many title brands? Product placement?

My favorite song is "Westermack". 

I actually listened to this!

I enjoyed it, but it's probably not something I'll listen to again. It was good, but nothing stood out to me, except for the song "Glitter." I'll probably listen to that song every now and then, so, it was worth checking this album out just to find one new song I like!

Again, I don't think it was a bad album, but it was mostly forgettable to me. Enjoyed it but won't listen again.

Hmmm, not bad. It’s a fun little album, sounds bright and fresh. I actually like the vocals and I think they fit the aesthetic of the band really well. Some of the hooks are catchy and do a great job of driving the energy of the songs they’re in. I definitely hear the Weezer influence and a bit of the 90s post-grunge sound.

My only criticism is that close to all of the songs sound the same to my ears or at the least sound very similar. I’ve listened to it 10-ish times and I still can’t tell most of the songs apart. That’s okay, though. 

Favorite Track: Percolator
Least Favorite Track: Julia
Overall Rating: Light 6

Hi everyone, I don't post here a lot (I mostly just lurk) but I thought this thread was a cool idea. I checked out the album and thought it was pretty good and I'll probably continue to listen to it. It reminded me of Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer a little bit, which is a good thing to me. I do agree with Nasa that some of the songs sound similar to each other, but it's not too bad. My favorite tracks are Westermarck, Black Hole, and Scare U.

• Like 3