Gorillaz - The Now Now

Jan Backing Track

Hollywood is the fifth new song released from their upcoming album. It comes out this Friday. I liked Humility, the first released track, but the rest underwhelmed me.

I have a very love-hate relationship with Gorillaz, lol. They’re one of my favorite bands—I love their first three albums—but Humanz and Damon Albarn have rrreeeaaalllyyy frustrated me. 

Well, for one, Gorillaz aren’t a party band, in my view. Their albums have either had an overarching concept to them (Plastic Beach), or 2D has been present in a significant way to give the songs a cohesive feel (self-titled and Demon Days). Humanz seems structured more like a playlist than an album—kind of like Drake’s More Life—that you can play in the background at a party. And the songs just lose substance there for me, because Gorillaz aren’t a party band—and if you want to try to make them one, then maybe you should actually feature 2D by himself on more than just one song on the album considering that he’s the central force of Gorillaz. 

Apparently Humanz’s overarching theme is “the emotional aftermath of an unexpected world-changing event.” Hmmm, subtle much? Original much? And political albums are fine—I like quite a few political albums—but like...if the album is going to be an emotional reaction to a major political event, then maybe you shouldn’t bleep out Trump and Obama’s names, you know? Like are you serious, Albarn? I feel like he really half-assed this theme by doing stuff like that and by utilizing people like Vince Staples and Danny Brown awkwardly and not to their strengths. It’s like he had an idea but didn’t follow through on it completely. That really sucks. If you want to make a statement, then put work into it. Otherwise, don’t bother.

But my biggest problem with Humanz is that there are wayyyyyy too many features. The only track on there that doesn’t have a feature is “Busted and Blue” (besides the interludes). I’m listening to this band because I want to hear what they have to say, not to hear Albarn’s single-minded determination to collaborate with everyone significant / on the rise in the music industry today. All of those features have different identities and characters to them, and I really think that Albarn did Gorillaz and those features a disservice by using them like they’re commodities on a party-style, playlist-structured album. It drives me absolutely nuts. I get heated just thinking about it, lol. 

The songs themselves are either mediocre or filler. So much filler... They’re fine playing in the background at a party (which seems to have been Albarn’s intention, but it just doesn’t fit the band), but they aren’t suitable for active listening, unlike the band’s first three albums, imo. Humanz’s half-assed concept and construction just genuinely disappoint me and make me feel frustrated with Albarn, who’s always had a problem reigning it in, but it’s especially clear now. 

He knows that he can do so much better.

• Like 1

To be fair, I think the purpose of that album is that it is a party. Every song has a feature because they're all guests and it's supposed to feel like you're attending this "thing". But I think the features are justified (and good) and it is somewhat a more modern record I suppose. I guess I never "defined" what Gorillaz was supposed to be as a band. it just was this thing that was like a modern Banana Splits to me. I always imagined it would update itself with the times and have this goofy backstory throughout.

1 hour ago, LeoDehoe_fan said:

Self Titled Gorillaz will always be my favorite, but I'm always interested in their new releases, just the type of shit we don't get over here in the US.

Agreed!! That’s why I’ve liked Gorillaz so much. Up until Humanz (imo), they always released music that was different from the status quo. Guess Americans just aren’t as creative when it comes to conceiving unique music ideas. 

15 minutes ago, Nasa said:

Agreed!! That’s why I’ve liked Gorillaz so much. Up until Humanz (imo), they always released music that was different from the status quo. Guess Americans just aren’t as creative when it comes to conceiving unique music ideas. 

They used to be, UK has seriously surpassed us in creativity in all forms of entertainment now.  I think a lot of Americans just get too comfortable/dumb or are controlled by ppl just in it for the money.

• Like 1

I'm finally listening to the new Gorillaz and I like it. It's a melancholy dream pop album with the same vocal simplicity of"The Fall." I really dig the mood of the entire album, and it has exactly what was lacking on the last one - more Damon Albarn.
But I'm such a sucker for Damon Albarn so you'll need someone impartial if you want a constructive feedback. 

I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do.

I really welcome The Now Now after the musical, lyrical, and conceptual TRAINWRECK that Humanz was, lol. In contrast, The Now Now is short, cohesive, and musically consistent. It still doesn't sound completely like Gorillaz--except for the two tracks "One Percent" and "Souk Eye--" but it's a definite improvement from Humanz. Thank fuck that Damon Albarn learned how to rein it in.

I agree that it's a mood album, but it lacks a standout direction or overarching idea. Which you'd get from a concept album, but therein lies my problem with every Gorillaz album after Plastic Beach. The Now Now is supposed to just play in the background, kind of like Humanz but much better due to the almost complete lack of features and the trimmed-down musical range.

The atmospheric style says to me that Albarn was too lazy to evolve the Gorillaz sound and lore in a way that would still be compelling and engaging. It kind of sounds like he threw this album together without thinking much about its place in the Gorillaz universe. Where's the story? Where's the signature Gorillaz feel? It's a step up from Humanz because it's less immersed in the real world and there's way more 2D, yet it's not quite there. I do enjoy the music, but I just wish it had more vivacity to it. It sounds kind of lifeless and dreary at times.

I'm happy The Now Now exists. I just wish that Albarn would reinvigorate Gorillaz with some real and genuine time and effort put into it. He tried too hard on Humanz and tried too little on The Now Now. We need some balance. I hope he takes some serious time off to consider his conception of the band and where they're going.

My favorite track is Humility and my least favorite track is Kansas. I'd give the overall album a Light 7.

• 5 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, _Kyle_ said:

You guys listen to Grimes?

I just gave Art Angels a few listens—I liked it a lot! “California” is something else.

Should I go back and listen to her other stuff?

4 hours ago, Nasa said:

I just gave Art Angels a few listens—I liked it a lot! “California” is something else.

Should I go back and listen to her other stuff?

It’s pretty different I would say, but definitely check out Oblivion. Her new single is not to my liking though..

• Like 1