Star Wars Kathleen Kennedy News

Alan Rickman

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

I have a feeling that if Holdo was a man there wouldn’t have been outrage about that general shooting down a young hot shot. 

It’s not even a feeling, really. It would have been a “lesson learned” with no controversy. 

Why get hung up on such things? It’s ridiculous

I have a feeling if the character of Holdo and the storyline surrounding her had appeared in any other series you wouldn’t be supporting it at all.

• Like 1

You must not be following along. I’ve voiced plenty of concerns and complaints about TLJ. Probably more than for any SW besides AOTC. 

The Holdo, Rey, KK, and Rose complaints are sexist garbage.

just own it

Rey is a great character as was the girl from Rogue One. I didn't necessarily have a problem with Rose other than the save the whales campaign that wasted time that could have been spent advancing the plot. 

The Last Jedi just had a shitty script/director that made it come off as preachy rather than just a star wars story. 

19 hours ago, Ghent said:

I have a feeling that if Holdo was a man there wouldn’t have been outrage about that general shooting down a young hot shot.

You're acting more sexist then anyone by stating this.

The main complaint isn't that she was a woman, it was stupid for her to not let Poe of all people in on the dumb plan.  He was willing to completely sacrifice himself for them over and over and over again but can't let him in on the great big secret plan of nothing?  It was dumb.

• Like 2

If you want to complain about that whole scenario, shouldn’t the complaint be about Poe being a trigger happy dumbass? 

It’s the fact that a female general shuts him down that has all the nazis’ panties in a bunch.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:35 PM, Ghent said:

Luke grew up in a golden house of pampering compared to Rey, who was dumped by her parents and fended for herself in every way through terrible conditions and hard work.

Yet Rey is a Mary Sue?

I dunno, you're essentially framing it as: a child that had everything (though Luke certainly did not) but struggles to understand something new and foreign to them, while someone that grew up with nothing, yet immediately becomes one with the new thing that should be foreign to them.

Frankly I'm not sure how upbringing really plays into the status of MaRey Sue here.  Rey had nothing and was instantly better than Luke (or any Jedi we've thus seen in the films at least from their initial experiences with the force) ever was.  That doesn't exactly scream "No! She's not flawless," to me, at least not in regard to her being able to do just about anything on the first time with relative ease.  I guess she's flawed in the sense that she had a harder upbringing, but that would be missing the point entirely.

I don't think it was that easy for Rey. Anakin was born with skills. He was literally the only human in the galaxy who could podrace, and he was a child.

Rey spent her life surviving, learning to fight, studying, learning languages, and practicing with flight simulators. She has always been aware of her Force-sensitivity ("something inside me has always been there"), she just never knew what it was or how to use it until she met another Force user (Kylo Ren, and later Luke). I believe she's a sort Chosen One, like Anakin was. "I warned my apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise." Seems like another Chosen One prophecy scenario to me.

Just because we didn't get to see Rey's childhood onscreen doesn't mean her skills came out of nowhere.

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Isn’t anakin an immaculate conception born from the force? It kinda makes sense for the Jesus of the Star Wars universe to have an easier time than others learning skills.

I think it’s a lame way to view SW to think that only Skywalker descendants or those who go through formal training can be powerful in the force.

Plus, we’re 2/3 the way through a trilogy. There will obviously be some kind of reason or validation given for her powers before this concludes. 

The meltdowns over Rey, are premature at best. Sorry, but there is an odd fixation with Rey’s powers that scream sexism. 

If she was all powerful Snoke wouldn’t have been able to whip her around like a rag doll.

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Again, sounds just like Anakin.

Anakin didnt defeat a sith lord til his 3rd movie which was a decade and a half after Phantom Menace. He got his arm chopped off effortlessly by Dooku in the 2nd movie. He was a good pilot and decent Jedi, but like Luke, he wasn't equally powerful to the main dark side force user. 

Ghent keeps deflecting the argument. No one complains about Rey flying or using the force. Its that she's already beaten the main villain two out of two times, including the first time she ever turned on a lightsaber.

I guess Ep 9 will have to clear up this "force equal" thing because I sure as hell dont get it. :-o

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Anakin didnt defeat a sith lord til his 3rd movie which was a decade and a half after Phantom Menace. He got his arm chopped off effortlessly by Dooku in the 2nd movie. He was a good pilot and decent Jedi, but like Luke, he wasn't equally powerful to the main dark side force user. 

Ghent keeps deflecting the argument. No one complains about Rey flying or using the force. Its that she's already beaten the main villain two out of two times, including the first time she ever turned on a lightsaber.

I guess Ep 9 will have to clear up this "force equal" thing because I sure as hell dont get it. :-o

Well you can't really compare Kylo to Vader either. Vader was a master of the Force, the most powerful Jedi turned evil. Of course Luke didn't defeat him on his first try. Dooku had probably 50+ years of training when he fought Anakin, whose temper and cockiness got the best of him. Kylo Ren's training wasn't even complete, and while he seems very powerful in the Force he seemed to be a fairly mediocre sword fighter. Plus, Kylo was holding back in his duel with Rey. He saw her potential and wanted her to come with him, to be trained by him, so he wasn't gonna murder her. I thought that was obvious when he sat there and let Rey connect with the Force for ten seconds right in the middle of their fight. We don't have a huge massively-powerful villain in the sequel trilogy (I mean there's Snoke, but he died without ever fighting anybody). Kylo is still learning. Comparing him to Vader or Dooku is silly.

When was the second time Rey defeated Kylo? They only fought one time. In The Force Awakens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I think it’s a lame way to view SW to think that only Skywalker descendants or those who go through formal training can be powerful in the force.

Plus, we’re 2/3 the way through a trilogy. There will obviously be some kind of reason or validation given for her powers before this concludes. 

The meltdowns over Rey, are premature at best. Sorry, but there is an odd fixation with Rey’s powers that scream sexism. 

If she was all powerful Snoke wouldn’t have been able to whip her around like a rag doll.

You’re putting words in my mouth. All I said was that there is an in universe canon reason for why anakin as a kid could do the things he could. 

I have zero problems with Rey being a powerful force user. It’s just that she’s immediately more powerful on her first day knowing what the force is than Luke was at the start of empire which was 3 years after he began training that’s the problem. How did she know she could convince the storm trooper to let her go using the force? She suddenly just had knowledge of all these techniques.

Her defeating kylo at the end of TFA in a lightsaber duel makes sense to me. They showed her fighting with her staff and being competent at it early on she obviously had trained at that. 

If the boy at the end of the last Jedi after using the force to pick up his broom then walked over and used force lightning on his mate for shits and giggles, I’d have a problem with that too. 

I don't think Rey knew she could convince the storm trooper to let her go. I think it was more instinctual. The Force was guiding her without her really realizing it. That's always how I saw that scene. I don't think she really knew what she was doing. She was acting on a feeling rather than knowledge.

Also:

5 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

If the boy at the end of the last Jedi after using the force to pick up his broom then walked over and used force lightning on his mate for shits and giggles, I’d have a problem with that too. 

I would also have a problem with that but it's hilarious in my head and now that you mentioned it I really want to see it lol

8 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

In TFA, Kylo is injured and still has his way with her until she collects herself, remembers the force, and does enough to end the fight as the planet is imploding.

In TLJ they are presented as what looks like combat equals, but Snoke shows that he is much more powerful than Rey, but is killed by Kylo.

7 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

You’re putting words in my mouth. All I said was that there is an in universe canon reason for why anakin as a kid could do the things he could.

And there will be a canon reason for Rey being very powerful as well. 2/3 through a trilogy.

Strange thing to get all worked up about

Who gives a flying crap about Rey being powerful with the force without having received training. Honestly, we know already how Jedi are trained. We've seen Luke getting trained in episode 5. Do you really want to waste way too much time in another movie seeing Rey getting trained the exact same way that Luke did?