When Your Heart Stops Beating is better than California ever was

Mau5

Mark's WYHSB is "better" than Mark's new blink-182  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree?

• Agree
    • Disagree

It's actually very hard for me to get into newer artists. I tend to like 1-2 songs from most bands/artists anyway. There was a song called Ricochet by a band called Starset that one of my friends introduced me to early last year. I heard it and was like holy shit this is fucking good. But then I checked out the album it was on and I thought the album was kinda shit. But I still loved that song.

When I do listen out for newer bands, it tends to be based around the punk rock/alt rock genre. I can't get into newer pop punk at all. The Wonder Years is the only recent one I can get into. An album I've listened to recently is by a band called Hot Water Music, who've been around for almost 20 years, but I never heard of them until recently. I listened to their new album but I don't know my opinion of it. It's not shit. Just hasn't grown on me yet. New bands just take time to grow on me.

Another band I've started listening to a little bit more is Chvrches but again, I don't like any of their albums. I like 2-3 songs from each album. It takes me like 2-3 years to realise if I truly love an album or not really. If I love it straight away, it means I'll get bored of it. If I dislike it straight away, then it means I'll probably always dislike it. If I just don't know, I just have to hope it grows on me. There's a few albums like that. Brand New's most recent album has like 2-3 amazing songs whereas the rest I do appreciate, but I don't know what to think of them yet.

As for bands like blink & Green Day, I'll love 5-7 songs then not know what to think of the other songs for ages. Most of my "new" music tends to be from older bands releasing new albums really. Or I happen to come across an older band that I never heard of until recently for eg Hot Water Music. I always am willing to check out new albums and artists. I'm trying to get more and more into rap stuff because I do appreciate it, but it's hard to listen to some of them. A lot of rappers have this gospel kinda sound and I can't get into that. I'd rather have rappers with an edge to it. Basically punk rock versions of rappers, but I don't know enough about rap to find these kinda artists.

I'm 30 and I still discover new acts all the time. What I liked at 14-15, I can still "like" it to a degree, but I can also see how dated and questionable it can be.

I just don't see myself as stagnate, but things aren't as mind-blowing as they once were.

But I will say that new "popular" music is hard to get into. But I think it's because the music is just not that great, not that I "just don't get it".

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Nasa said:

This is me to a T.  Played in bands for like a decade, buying and trying to discover music at any chance I got.  Eventually it just kinda dies off; it's weird and depressing. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

My musical tastes have expanded. Love rap and hip hop. Have an appreciation for some classic rock. But punk is still my favorite. 

If you got any rappers you know of with an edge to their songs, then drop me a list. I need some rap where the rappers act kinda punk rock haha.

I believe there is an amount of music one can absorb. Unless you're getting paid for it, you shouldn't even bother with trying to keep yourself updated with all the music out there.
I have a friend who always sends me lists of bands to check on bandcamp and I don't know how she keeps up with everything. I'm sure she just listens to a couple of songs and says "okay i like this band, next?" and then moves on. If I did that, none of them would stick with me, I'd just be overloaded. 
I can see myself sticking to all the artists I like, within different genres, monitor those and maybe go back to the ones that inspired them (or listen to the new ones they suggest). And keep my eyes open on the music industry. But there aren't any rules. 

It's a rant... I just wanted to say that at some point you're gonna be overloaded and it's fine. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

I believe there is an amount of music one can absorb. Unless you're getting paid for it, you shouldn't even bother with trying to keep yourself updated with all the music out there.
I have a friend who always sends me lists of bands to check on bandcamp and I don't know how she keeps up with everything. I'm sure she just listens to a couple of songs and says "okay i like this band, next?" and then moves on. If I did that, none of them would stick with me, I'd just be overloaded. 
I can see myself sticking to all the artists I like, within different genres, monitor those and maybe go back to the ones that inspired them (or listen to the new ones they suggest). And keep my eyes open on the music industry. But there aren't any rules. 

It's a rant... I just wanted to say that at some point you're gonna be overloaded and it's fine. 

Yeah that's another thing I avoid. I wanna fall in love with a new band, not just listen to 1-2 songs. Think the Wonder Years have probably been the only recent band that comes close and that's only because of their album they released like 2 years ago. That was their first album where I listened to the whole thing and thought "nah these songs are fucking quality".

One other thing I've noticed, I seem to prefer to listen to a whole album rather than just one song. There's another band I like called Bad Astronaut. I can never remember their songs at all. I can never even listen to just one song. I have to listen to their albums from start to finish for me to enjoy it. Some music is only enjoyable when you're listening to the whole album. It's annoying when you love a single but then the album doesn't live up to it. That Wonder Years album was the first album in a long time where I've literally loved listening to the whole thing.

There isn't many bands like that at all. I blame blink-182 for making me view music differently with their smiley face album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

When I do listen out for newer bands, it tends to be based around the punk rock/alt rock genre. I can't get into newer pop punk at all. The Wonder Years is the only recent one I can get into. An album I've listened to recently is by a band called Hot Water Music, who've been around for almost 20 years, but I never heard of them until recently. I listened to their new album but I don't know my opinion of it. It's not shit. Just hasn't grown on me yet. New bands just take time to grow on me.

Check out their record Caution. I still love the heck out of this song from it, and "Remedy", the albums worth spinning. can't comment on their later releases. 

• Like 1

Like I said I've gotten super into quite a few new (to me) bands over the past few years after a big drought, here are some that I think would appeal to Blink fans if anybody's interested:

Jeff Rosenstock
PUP
Modern Baseball
Laura Stevenson
Rozwell Kid
Alex Lahey
The Menzingers
Remo Drive
Waxahatchee
Cymbals Eat Guitars

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Check out their record Caution. I still love the heck out of this song from it, and "Remedy", the albums worth spinning. can't comment on their later releases. 

Have they had a new singer or something? Cause the singer sounds completely different to their recent album haha. Musically it's very different too. They sound kinda country-ish now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elisa said:

@Nosferatu if you want two rap albums to enjoy the whole way through you should start with Paul's Boutique (The Beastie Boys)
And there is also Illmatic which is a timeless raw and edgy personal record by Nas

I've heard of that album, just not listened to it. I'll save that to my Spotify account and listen tonight.

6 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah that's another thing I avoid. I wanna fall in love with a new band, not just listen to 1-2 songs. Think the Wonder Years have probably been the only recent band that comes close and that's only because of their album they released like 2 years ago. That was their first album where I listened to the whole thing and thought "nah these songs are fucking quality".

You've got yo be talking about the Greatest Generation right?  Definitely the best thing the Wonder Years have ever put out.

2 minutes ago, darkarrow said:

You've got yo be talking about the Greatest Generation right?  Definitely the best thing the Wonder Years have ever put out.

I prefer the album with Stained Glass Ceilings on it haha. I do like that album, but i don't love it. Lyrically, they're great. But No Closer to Heaven is their first one that made me think of them in a different light. It's pop punk but it made me think that they're a little bit more.

One song i do love from Greatest Generation though is Passing Through a Screen Door, my god i've never related to a song so much when it comes to lyrics.

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Have they had a new singer or something? Cause the singer sounds completely different to their recent album haha. Musically it's very different too. They sound kinda country-ish now.

That's because they have two singers, Chuck Ragan and Chris Wollard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

If you got any rappers you know of with an edge to their songs, then drop me a list. I need some rap where the rappers act kinda punk rock haha.

Do you mean like they rap to punk songs or they just kinda have the punk swag?  I've been enjoying Earl Sweatshirt's I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside but man is it a depressing album.