Mau5

Mark's WYHSB is "better" than Mark's new blink-182  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree?

• Agree
    • Disagree

On 7/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, Mau5 said:

One more than California tbh.

And again, this isn't really a argument or a thread dedicated to the album being amazing by any means - though some may feel that way about it. It is more of a discussion on how much better it is than California, in so many ways. I agree with the previous posts though that, I think Mark really does see it as a failure because of the downgrade of venues and attendance and numbers. Mark seems to really, really care about his outside verification - which would be a big hint as to why we see him constantly trying to be fresh in "his" scene and dying his hair stupid fucking colors in his 40s. 

14 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Talk about a giant slab of FAN-FIC.

• Like 2

@JarJarBlinks Not to mention the fact that Mark literally never references anything to do with that era, ever. Nothing. Zilch. No covers, no interviews talking about it, no mentions of his other bandmembers. It's a black hole in his career that he never delves into. And go ahead and find me a couple examples where he does - because we all know that the guy talks about how great all the other blink albums were when it's convenient ("this album is going to sound like Enema, this album is going to sound like TOYPAJ", etc.). What about some +44 buddy-o

Mark posts +44 references on his social media every now and then. He even brings some +44 gear to blink shows/rehearsals sometimes.

What is he supposed to talk about concerning them? It was a band that didn't do very well that only existed because Tom went psycho and formed AVA. I'm sure he's proud of the work, but it would be weird if he talked about it all the time. Was 15 years ago

17 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Talk about a giant slab of FAN-FIC.

Ya know, in 2011, if one had said Tom Delonge was a piece of garbage that only reformed Blink for  funds for others projects, and had no desire to record with Blink, and that the album was taking way too long, and that Blink was recording separate, and that they were on the verge of breaking up again.

Mostpeople here, GHENT included, would have called it a big fat slab of FAN FICTION.

But it was all 100% true. So why did people like me call it from a mile away? Its because we, ya know, study Blink, we actually use our vast knowledge culled from interviews over the course of 20 years to know how they think, to know whats going on. Its not going to always be 100% accurate, but is has been shown to be quite accurate.

So some advice for you:

Step 1) Study the band.

Step 2) Look at facts.

Step 3) Form opinions.

Step 4) Add a bit of cynicism. Life in professional bands is far more cynical than people on here seem to think it is.

Ta da. One day, you too can know as much about whats going on with Blink and form more accurate opinions of their situation.

3 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Ya know, in 2011, if one had said Tom Delonge was a piece of garbage that only reformed Blink for  funds for others projects, and had no desire to record with Blink, and that the album was taking way too long, and that Blink was recording separate, and that they were on the verge of breaking up again.

Mostpeople here, GHENT included, would have called it a big fat slab of FAN FICTION.

But it was all 100% true. So why did people like me call it from a mile away? Its because we, ya know, study Blink, we actually use our vast knowledge culled from interviews over the course of 20 years to know how they think, to know whats going on. Its not going to always be 100% accurate, but is has been shown to be quite accurate.

So some advice for you:

Step 1) Study the band.

Step 2) Look at facts.

Step 3) Form opinions.

Step 4) Add a bit of cynicism. Life in professional bands is far more cynical than people on here seem to think it is.

Ta da. One day, you too can know as much about whats going on with Blink and form more accurate opinions of their situation.

UltimateWearyCalf-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

19 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I think new-era Blink should throw some +44 songs into the mix every once in awhile. Matt's skills and vibe would fit stuff like WYHSB, Lillian, Chapter 13 way better than the poppy fun in the sun Cali tracks.

Mark won't because he doesn't think the material is good.

Same goes for Neighborhoods.

Mark has zero confidence in himself as a songwriter and musician. He has admitted as much.

And there is definitely an interview out there, god knows where (if you can find it I will be impressed) where Mark says the difference between him and Tom is that when Tom writes, he thinks everything he comes up with is amazing, whereas when Mark writes, he thinks everything he comes up with is probably not good enough.

Perfect mentality for a hyper control freak workaholic like Feldmann to seize on and exploit.

Its not fan fiction at all.

It's gotta suck to write a deep dark personal record like WYHSB, play it live, and the only time anyone cares is when you play WMAA or Rock Show. I don't think Mark has this lingering confidence issue (Feldy said he's a genius song writer and that any time he had a lyric, Mark's was way better), I think he just bases success off of the audience's response.  (Which is what any successful person/ business does.)  And if that's the case he actually should be feeling super confident with his songwriting right now because of California's success. 

It's just a shame that songs like First Date/ATST will have a whole stadium going nuts, and something like Asthenia/M&Ms will have 70% taking piss breaks. But that's how the industry is. It's the same reason you can pour your heart and soul into your own songwriting, get up on a stage, and people want you to play some crappy radio song cover. It sucks, but eventually can skew what you would consider "successful/appealing".

18 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

And there is definitely an interview out there, god knows where (if you can find it I will be impressed) where Mark says the difference between him and Tom is that when Tom writes, he thinks everything he comes up with is amazing, whereas when Mark writes, he thinks everything he comes up with is probably not good enough.

Perfect mentality for a hyper control freak workaholic like Feldmann to seize on and exploit.

Its not fan fiction at all.

There is nothing even remotely rooted in reality in that sentence, fan fic boy.

Just because Mark and Tom have different personalities and feelings when it comes to the music they write, it does not mean Mark is some kind of raging insecure loser that has been taken advantage of by the evil Failedmann.

You're being ridiculous

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

There is nothing even remotely rooted in reality in that sentence, fan fic boy.

Just because Mark and Tom have different personalities and feelings when it comes to the music they write, it does not mean Mark is some kind of raging insecure loser that has been taken advantage of by the evil Failedmann.

You're being ridiculous

Exhibit A becomes relevant again

3abf8e3ce0a7b36dc27f8eed8bff0c49.jpg

• Like 1