Music Club Wk4 - Arkells - Michigan Left

Kay

MUSIC CLUB - WEEK 4

ARKELLS - "Michigan Left" 

Arkells_-_Michigan_Left_(2011).jpeg

@Patient #48273 Laura's turn at the helm for week 4! 

Ya'll have one week to give it a spin and leave a review, if you're stuck on how to review it here's some basic ideas - 

Love It Or Hate It, What Do You Love, What Do You Hate?

Stand Out Tracks

Would You Recommend It?

What Does It Sound Similar To?

Would You Listen To It Again?

Notable Sounds / Lyrics

In the spoiler is the youtube playlist, Spotify album, and apple music link. 

As we're getting quite into this now I'm going to keep a running list of who's put records forward so far so we can keep track. I imagine if this keeps going people will have repeat opportunities. If anyone is super keen to go next do let me know, I do have someone in mind but so far I'm just picking people at random. 

Week # -

#1 - @boxelder

#2 - @Elisa

#3 - @Ghost

#4 - @Patient #48273

So, this band is pretty huge in Canada now, but as far as I can tell, they’re not super popular elsewhere in the world. I first heard about the Arkells in 2010. They were the openers at a Metric show and they instantly won me over; they’re one of those bands that truly shines when performing live, but they’ve also got some killer records, of course.

I chose their album Michigan Left because, while other albums have their best standalone songs, this one, in my opinion, is the strongest from start to finish.

My favourites from the album: Bloodlines, Book Club & Michigan Left.

Spoiler

Fun fact for Mad Men fans: On Paper was originally (and jokingly) called Don Draper.

• Like 1

I put this on as background music while I was busy doing other things. Because of that, I don't remember much, but I will say that this is my favorite album of the three I've listened to so far for this music club (didn't listen to last week's, since I couldn't find it on Spotify and just got too lazy to look for it elsewhere). I'll have to give it another spin!

• Like 1

I've put this on a few times - it's quite fun and easy to listen to, his voice has an interesting 80s quality. Like cheerios it's mostly acted as backing music so far though, I will do a more thorough listen during the week to give more thoughts on it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the less remembered 80s of Hall and Oats and Springsteen.

But this is the sort of band I would never actively listen to. It's just not interesting enough to me, but the band is pretty competent. Also the lead singer has a voice I can't place. He sounds a little like somebody that I can't pin down. Oh well.

@Cheerios4u98 no worries, you'll burn in hell for that, hahaha.

Well, this is a 'light' album. By light I mean the kind of light-ness I consider personally. Kind of an easy listening experience, but for good reasons. I get the 80s vibes. Well, in fact they're pretty obvious, but thank God they're not taken too serious, so the thing flows pretty well, and sounds fresh without being too dense. Somehow, also reminds me to what Brandon Flowers did in Flamingo, but, as I said, on a waaaay lighter version. In this sense, it has bits that remind me a little bit to The 1975 and recent Paramore. Makes sense, but again, on a much light version. Maybe them are closer to the real 80s than this newer bands which are trying to incorporate that kind of sound.

I don't know if I'll listen to it very much, but it works as background or just to get you up and fresh. It's pretty optimistic, and that's good!

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2018 at 6:09 AM, _Kyle_ said:

Yeah, it's the less remembered 80s of Hall and Oats and Springsteen.

But this is the sort of band I would never actively listen to. It's just not interesting enough to me, but the band is pretty competent. Also the lead singer has a voice I can't place. He sounds a little like somebody that I can't pin down. Oh well.

Imagine Dragons? Arkells have become a pretty similar band in the hybrid pop/rock genre where half of it is heavily produced electronic, the other half rock.

I remember hearing the Whistleblower on NHL 2013. I like a lot of Arkells songs but not a huge fan of where their direction has been going lately. 

8 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

I like a lot of Arkells songs but not a huge fan of where their direction has been going lately. 

Yeah, I only like about half of Morning Report and if People's Champ is any indication, their next album probably won't be any better.

13 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Imagine Dragons? Arkells have become a pretty similar band in the hybrid pop/rock genre where half of it is heavily produced electronic, the other half rock.

I remember hearing the Whistleblower on NHL 2013. I like a lot of Arkells songs but not a huge fan of where their direction has been going lately. 

Maybe that's it.

I've listened to "Michigan Left" a few times but I believe it doesn't have much to offer to me. "Where U Going" sounds like a tribute to HALL & OATES, I also hear some Springsteen vibes here and there but I don't know. It's that kind of music that reminds me of something I'd rather be listening. It's not that I dislike the album, it's just that it's a bit derivative and modern pop/rock was never my thing.

Best track: On Paper (this song is very catchy, I'll probably add it to my summer playlist on Spotify)

I listened again yesterday, I feel similarly to others where it's pleasant but not necessarily something I'd seek out listening wise, it makes great background music though. It's like all the elements are pleasant and reasonable but nothing grabs or excites me. like the vanilla ice cream of pop rock music.

I do think there are some tracks that stand out more than others, specifically Book Club and One Foot Out The Door, and I think I'd keep it around potentially for background music when I'm working as it's bouncy enough to keep you motivated but not so good it distracts you. Solid choice though!

I am a little late organising next week, sorry about that - I'm thinking it's @Nasa's go finally! If you are able within the next 24 hours or so to give me the record of your choice with Youtube, Spotify and iTunes links that'd be swell - let me know why you picked it, send it all in a PM. If you don't see this in time though don't panic, I'll use myself in reserve if push comes to shove. 

If anyone is dying to have a go PM me your interest and I'll sort out a schedule for the coming weeks.

I enjoyed this album. The lead vocalist also reminds me of Imagine Dragons. I hate Imagine Dragons, but Arkells' instrumentation and songwriting seem stronger, which must be why I liked the album. It has a bright, fresh sound to it that's cohesive and puts it in the easy listening category of guitar-based music for me. Contextually, I would listen to it in the early afternoon on a sunny day. It's pleasant!

I agree with Kyle and Kay in that Arkells sound competent enough--for me, in terms of performance and songwriting--but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them. It works as background music that I could play at a party or something.

Favorite Track: either "Book Club" or "Whistleblower"

Least Favorite Track: hmmm..."Kiss Cam," maybe? None of the songs stand out as especially bad. Which is a good sign.

Overall Rating: probably a Strong 6/Light 7

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason the album cover just screams Neutral Milk Hotel to me. And yes, the internet had to break down in the middle of the first track. Maybe my spotify is allergic to this shit. This is hipsterrock at its hipsterrockest. Why do you have to be a dick today Wifi? Maybe I should've listened to this to a portable gramaphone player like a true hipster? For the little bits and pieces I get to here before the wifi falls out again, this seems like a summer with dudes with beards and caps and probably people smoking dope. And a vegan barbecue, which I of course am supportive of! This is like the even more hippie hipster version of Arcade FIre. I can't say I like it, and I can't say I hate it either. I gave this whole wifi thing up and am currently listening on headphones on my phone instead. I think what turns me a bit off about this music is the vocals, I'm 100% certain this guy has a beard he has to. The instruments sound really rad however, especially the drums and the vibraphone and whatever the hell that is. Where U Going is an a lot better song than Book Club, but I still get vivid hipster images in my head, these are the kind of guys that would give their new bought clothes to a thrift store just so they can say they shop at thrift stores. The "whoah"'s are great. I still think of Arcade Fire for some reason, even if Where U Going is better than any Arcade Fire song I've heard. I probably sound so off on these comparisons, but I'm very uncomfortable with this hipsterrock thing and I get the feeling that these bands take themselves so seriously that I have trouble doing so, but the melodies are hella catchy. And yes a vibraphone or xylophone of some short is a smart little trick to make a song catchy. The title track makes me think of Tom Delonge, but it's not Tom Delonge. It's so not Tom Delonge. I like that this drummer is doing the that drumming and then hitting the sticks thing and there are lots of handclaps on this album. My favorite songs are Where U Going, Bloodlines and On Paper. I do, have a problem separating the songs from each other though, but that's probably the case of any genre. 

There's no doubt that this is a really great band, but to me there's something quite offputting about them. Also he sort of has a beard. Maybe I'm just annoyed that my wifi decided to be a dick, sorry Arkells. 

@thongrider none of them have beards haha (the lead singer is in the middle, if you're curious).

x.jpeg

But it's really interesting reading the vibe you get from their music... I don't get it at all, but it's always interesting hearing about what kind of an image a band evokes.

• Like 1

Yeah, he had a beard during most of their first album cycle, I think. Since then, he's been clean-shaven/just had some stubble.

I'm the same way though. I'll picture what a singer looks like if I've never seen them before. I'm usually incredibly wrong, but it's fun to imagine.