First time Tom began recycling riffs?

Meltdown Tracker

7 hours ago, Kvothe said:

I first noticed it when he used the bridge of Tiny Voices for the intro to Give Me One Good Reason. Was there earlier cases of him recycling his guitar riff? 

Not to hate on Tom, the fact that he made it that far into the discography without recycling riffs is respectable. 

You mean he used the intro of give me onegood reason as the bridge to tiny voices 

boxcar racer was after typj

None of the riffs from that video sound remotely close to each other IMO. Although Everytime I Look For You & Down are octave chords and on the same note, the rhythms and tones of it are completely different. Those two songs are way too different. Just cause they are played around similar notes, doesn't mean they're recycled. Someone compared Stockholm Syndrome to the riff of Dogs Eating Dogs years ago on this board, but I wasn't hearing it, although I know which parts he meant. There's only so much you can do with power chords and octave chords and the kinda songs blink write, so a lot of songs will be played on similar notes.

Natives/Young London
Snake Charmer/The Machine/Secret Crowds
Anthem Part Two/Everything's Magic

Now those riffs I think are blatant rip offs IMO. Tones and everything.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

None of the riffs from that video sound remotely close to each other IMO. Although Everytime I Look For You & Down are octave chords and on the same note, the rhythms and tones of it are completely different. Those two songs are way too different. Just cause they are played around similar notes, doesn't mean they're recycled. Someone compared Stockholm Syndrome to the riff of Dogs Eating Dogs years ago on this board, but I wasn't hearing it, although I know which parts he meant. There's only so much you can do with power chords and octave chords and the kinda songs blink write, so a lot of songs will be played on similar notes.

Natives/Young London

And I and Not Now are definitely blatantly obvious, but I agree with you on the others. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Really? Despite both being octave-based riffs in the same key I think they're pretty different.

they're the same exact same three chords in a very similar pattern. I genuinely struggle to tell them apart when I'm even playing them let alone listening. 

On 2018-07-12 at 2:05 PM, Nosferatu said:

Natives/Young London

Secret Crowds sounds nothing like Snake Charmer..

• 2 weeks later...