Music Club Wk5 - Ty Segall - Manipulator

Kay

MUSIC CLUB - WEEK 5

TY SEGALL - "Manipulator"

2014TySegall_Manipulator_310714.jpg

@Nasa is at the helm with week with this kinda trippy entry, here's what she had to say - 

I picked Manipulator because Ty Segall is one of the only rock artists who I've been listening to lately and the music taste of most listeners on here seems more rock-oriented, so I figured that it'd be a good album to start with. Ty Segall is quite the prolific artist--he's made 10 studio albums in the past 10 years. He's known for his sonic revival of 60s-70s rock--you can tell who his influences are right away if you're familiar with that era, so he may sound a little derivative, but I still think his music is quite enjoyable because of the hooks and melodies. He's done everything from garage rock to psychedelic rock to punk rock, and it shows through in a lot of the songs on here as well as in the rest of his discography. So if you like rock music in general, then you'll probably find at least one or two songs to like on this album.

I think Manipulator is the longest album that's been submitted so far, clocking in at 56 minutes, so I suggest splitting it in half when you listen to it if if you're not one to digest an album that's longer than 35-45 minutes--it's about as long as a double album, after all.

Ya'll have one week to give it a spin and leave a review, if you're stuck on how to review it here's some basic ideas - 

Love It Or Hate It, What Do You Love, What Do You Hate?

Stand Out Tracks

Would You Recommend It?

What Does It Sound Similar To?

Would You Listen To It Again?

Notable Sounds / Lyrics

In the spoiler is the youtube playlist, Spotify album, and apple music link. 

Spoiler

Youtube - 

Spotify - 

Apple Music - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/manipulator/887490112

current running tab of weeks so far, if you are desperate for a turn PM me details :) 

Week # -

#1 - @boxelder Charly Bliss - "Guppy"

#2 - @Elisa Culture Abuse - "Bay Dream"

#3 - @Ghost Luisa Sobral - "The Cherry On My Cake"

#4 - @Patient #48273 Arkells - "Michigan Left"

#5 - @Nasa Ty Segall - "Manipulator"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

According to @Nasa's review, this sounds pretty interesting. Can't wait to go home and listen to it this evening.

I got through two tracks and spent the whole time thinking I should get stoned, so the 60s 70s rock vibe is 'high' on this one. 

• Haha 1

I've always heard about Ty Segall but I never got the chance to take the plunge into his big discography. So thank you Nasa for suggesting an album to start with. 

I really liked it! I enjoyed the gritty riffs and the psychedelic feel of the first part of the album because it sounds fresh and not dated. And I can hear a lot of influences, from Black Sabbath to Talking Heads and Jack White. Even Oasis (which he probably doesn't like.) 
But I think I prefer his slow rock/acoustic and more melodic side on songs like Green Belly,  The Clock, The Hand, Mister Main or Don't You Want To Know? (Sue) and that's probably because I hardly listen to hard rock anymore.
Some of the songs are less memorable than the others, which is bound to happen on an album with 17 tracks but that doesn't mean the album is a jumble of songs. I think it's well put together and cohesive, with a timeless vibe because he was able to mix together different ideas without leaving his comfort zone and that is talent in and of itself.

Vote: 7.5 and I will definitely listen to it again.

Best tracks: Don't You Want To Know? (Sue), The Feels, The Singer, Tall Man Skinny Lady.

• Love 1

Spining it right now (well finishing it). Hell yes. This is a good throwback to the late 60s early 70s sounds. I can hear some late 60s early 70s Beach Boys's echoes (from Pet Sounds to Sunflower). Also, picking up some vibes to Odessey and Oracle from The Zombies in some songs and little parts, pretty logical, TBF.

I can see the derivative feel you pointed out, @Nasa, but I guess it makes sense. The thing about going into revival mode, is that you already know what happened back in those years, so you can go through the different sounds and evolutions and kind o make them yours, which I think is that Ty is doing here.

Funny thing about this kind of artists that go to revisit old sounds, is that when they bring them to the present and modern studios, you can 'hear' another refferences crossed with other bands. I mean, some parts remind me to bands like Suede or Pixies (The Singer, for example), but that's because, probably, Pixies had similar musical refferences, although their sound was not the 60s-70s sound, obviously. Kind of when you hear About a Gilr from Nirvana and, somehow, it sounds like a Beatles song. So, when you pay attention, you can understand how bands like them had that kind of influence, although by the caracteristics of the production they are kind of hidden. I don't know if I'm explaining myself, haha. I swear I'm sober!!!

And yeah, It's Over could have been an Oasis song.

Really good record!

Edited by Ghost
fucking typos everywhere
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

Oh, I think it will be great to have all the weekly posts linked on the original thread, and pinned to the main page of this section. Can we ask for it to the admins/mods?

This has been done now, will update from now on :)

• Like 1

I listened to the record in full today, it's one hell of a jam.

While it's definitely a huge 60s/70s trippy throwback, it's still very much it's own beast and it commands a certain level of respect from an artistic perspective - it's also really interesting from a production angle, because of the choices used to replicate older sounds and effects. I'd be fascinated to look into a behind the scenes if it exists, just out of music nerd curiosity. 

It's not my genre at all but it's thoroughly enjoyable and has a lot of moments that encourage foot tapping enthusiasm. I think I'll definitely be spinning it on occasion, it has some real party music feel too. I've already told my sister about this record because it's her sort of stuff, I'll report back when she hears it haha

All in all I give it a solid 7/10, my second favourite so far. Nice choice @Nasa!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

TS recently played right next to where I live. I decided to go, but it was sold out before I got to buy a ticket and I was a bit relieved since I didn't feel like going. The same thing happened with this other band called Shame. I think I love Ty's earlier stuff and not so much his later stuff, this album sounds like something in the middle. The vocals are classic pop vocals, the keyboards are classic garage rock and the guitars are doing some weird noise stuff. It's a pretty cool mix. There's something quite 70s about this. Maybe it's very Bowie and T.Rex (maybe more so) inspired. The Singer is a great ballad. It's quite beautiful, but also sort of dark. I feel like the 70s glam thing is what he is going for with this album. It's Over has an interesting bass line and guitar riff. I feel like this album is one of those that are more interesting than it is good. There are so many experiments and influences in these songs that the songs themselves aren't shining through, but they aren't all that memorable. I think It's Over is my favorite track on the album. Green Belly sounds like Bob Dylan to me for some reason, excluding the vocals of course, it's also a pretty good song and my second favorite. Or maybe the punk-ish Susie Thumb is better than both of them! It kind of sounds a bit like old school Ty. Is it just me or is this album really fucking long? I got sort of bored of it by the end. I can still probably blame the wifi being down for me being so negative. I also don't get how I can post on the board, but not listen to fucking spotify. I guess I should save the Mountain Goats album for when I actually have an internet connection. 

• Like 1