Up All Night a look back

Chewy030

felt it was a good box car/untitled esque song that fit for a comeback song and for a next step.  the mark/tom was great. but after hearing HAG and wishing well both would have been a better lead comeback single imo.  especially if tom cared about HAG and they recorded it how they performed it live it would of had the potential to be a big single w the same promo team/label support they seem have now.

9 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Then you left a day before Neighborhoods leaked....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least I got Up All Night, Hearts All Gone, After Midnight, and shitty live YouTube videos of Ghost on the Dancefloor before I left! haha

I remember every time the album got delayed it would hit me like "oh... I might not actually get to hear this..."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elisa said:

I listened to Up All Night every day until the album came out. It's not a great song but I still like the lyrics a lot and it was awesome to hear Mark and Tom in a song together in 2009. My facebook memories reminded me that I was so happy that day (but I sounded too stupid :-[)

lmaoooo same. i posted like five times that day letting everyone know the song had premiered.

as for the song, it hasn’t aged too gracefully. the riff is cool and travis’s drums are rad, and i even appreciate the synth. but the lyrics are cringe, vocals pretty bad, and don’t get me started on that cringe video lol...

• Haha 1

I dunno. I liked it. Had a BCR feel to it which I appreciated after all the AVA stuff and indie vibe +44 had. Music video was forgettable, watched it a handful of times and never revisited. I could tell based on the editing that the band was only there together for the wide shots which kinda bummed me out as opposed to Feeling This where Tom or Travis might briefly pop up in the background of a Mark closeup.

UAN gets shit on quite a bit, even by me at times back in the day, but I feel in retrospect I'd take it over anything in the Cali era they produced so hindsight is 20/20...

• Like 1

I still remember exactly where I was when I first heard this, and I was so fucking stoked to have Blink back!  Liked it then, still do now.  I liked how it was a bit heavier, and the drums were rad to me.  I think I just really liked the beat.  Sounded a bit BCR to me, and I dug it.

Not to mention hearing Mark and Tom singing together again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Me getting ready to listen to Up All Night for the first time.

0714112003.jpg

Oh man, this brings back memories. I was in the car when I first hear it too. I was on a road trip with my family at the time. I didn't own a smartphone back then, but my mom had one of the shitty early iPhones. I borrowed her phone and connected to the internet out in the middle of nowhere with terrible service to listen to Up All Night in the car. It sucked, it took forever to load. But I was really happy when I heard it.

I remember thinking it sounded like an AVA song with Mark doing guest vocals haha. I still think that.

• Like 1

Normally when a band has a reunion they would have wrote a tonne of songs and would choose the best one to be released.

I get the feeling this was the only song that blink were even close to finishing and they had been back together 18 months by this point so it kind of forced their hand into releasing it as a first single.

It kind of shows as well as the song feels a bit disjointed with a lot of the parts sounding like they've been forced together. 

• Like 3

My original review on July 21, 2011 haha:

I'm going with a 7.5/10. It's not in their upper echelon, but it is perfect for their comeback single. They came back out of the gates with a fucking BANG. I love that it's an anthem, it just makes their return that much more triumphant. If all the songs sound like that, I would be disappointed, but as a comeback single it's everything I wanted.

10 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I'm not really feeling it, if the whole album sounds like this it will dissapoint a lot of people.

I don't see the Ashtenia point, I even think alot of Angels and Airwaves songs are better than this.

11 hours ago, boxelder said:

lmaoooo same. i posted like five times that day letting everyone know the song had premiered.

as for the song, it hasn’t aged too gracefully. the riff is cool and travis’s drums are rad, and i even appreciate the synth. but the lyrics are cringe, vocals pretty bad, and don’t get me started on that cringe video lol...

I know, I made three posts that day and one of them was even IN CAPS LOCK. I knew it wasn't a good song but blink was back and I was excited. 

1 hour ago, thongrider said:

They should have thrown away that riff. The song is meh. I'm sure i said the same thing back then. 

The main riff was floating around in 2002/3 for Untitled and wasn't used then.

But we all know standards for the band dropped substantially since they got back together.  

I think it's a pretty good song. All it needs is more lines in the chorus (more than just "And all these demons, they keep me up all night"). The verses and lyrics are good enough and the guitar is what you'd expect from Tom. 

I remember people here losing their shit over the synthesizers in the intro and how unnecessary they are, and how Tom's AvA influence was going to ruin the album. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whales said:

I must be in the minority because I really like Up All Night and always have. But I also love AvA, so that probably helps my case.

I like it a lot too, the structure is weird enough to be interesting/cool but not so weird that it's distracting in my opinion. The intro building up suspense until it blasts into the huge riff is great, I'll never forget the joy I felt hearing Mark and Tom trade off vocals again after being broken up for so long haha. The only thing I've never liked much is Tom's vocals on the prechorus. I'd never put the song in the upper tier of Blink songs but I definitely like it and I'll never forget how hyped I was when I listened to it for the first 100 times the day it came out haha.