Up All Night a look back

Chewy030

On 7/17/2018 at 6:45 AM, Scott. said:

Tom’s voice makes me ill on new blink songs. It’s repulsive. Some genuinely great songs but he doesn’t deliver them well. Think how good those songs would be with boxcar/Untitled tom voice. 

Imagine HAG at untitled era. With that sound and doing the call and response. 

Yeah Mark definitely recorded the bass for every song on Neighborhoods. Can tell just by listening. Mark actually cares about blink though, so of course he was gonna record the bass for all songs instead of put minimal effort like Tom. What I don't understand is why Tom was willing to record vocal parts on the Mark songs like Kaleidoscope, but wasn't willing to record the guitar parts?

14 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah Mark definitely recorded the bass for every song on Neighborhoods. Can tell just by listening. Mark actually cares about blink though, so of course he was gonna record the bass for all songs instead of put minimal effort like Tom. What I don't understand is why Tom was willing to record vocal parts on the Mark songs like Kaleidoscope, but wasn't willing to record the guitar parts?

I don't think that's the case at all.

It's really obvious to me listening now who recorded the bass on each track.

Mark tracks have that distinctive rich Hoppus bass tone (eg Natives, Heart's All Gone for example)
Tom tracks have a slightly deeper less pop punk sound bass tone (GOTDF, Up All Night, This Home)

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

So... were our expectations too high back during the reunion due to Untitled's success or are our expectations too low now due to some of our responses to Cali/Feldmann that we're actually warming up on Neighborhoods a little more these days?

Definitely both haha

• Like 4

Yeah it's definitely both. Neighborhoods isn't a bad album at all. It's good IMO but blink can do way better. I remember people thought that Neighborhoods was too safe and stale. Looking back on it after the release of California, my god, how wrong those people were. California makes Neighborhoods sound fresh.

I still think blink are capable of topping the smiley face album, even with Skiba in the band. I don't think it's possible whilst Feldman continues to be the producer though.

3 hours ago, Champ182 said:

This is a totally honest question: How in the world can you envision that happening? Haha

Gotta be done without Feldman in the band man!

Seriously though, I do think Feldman is a great producer. He knows what he's doing. I could never doubt a producer like that. He's possibly just as good as Finn, but if he isn't, then he's probably close. But they're completely different. If you want Feldman, then it's because you wanna sell shit loads of records. He's not gonna be someone that'll let you experiment. He will maybe let you do something different, but that different won't be unique. It'll just be different for blink. Like 6/8 was different for a blink. But it sounds like something Sum 41 would do on Chuck. Finn was good as a producer when it came to the hit records too. But he would also allow a band to do whatever they wanted. All the punk rock albums he's produced sound different to each other. Can't say the same for Feldman.

The smiley face album, I've never heard anything close to it. Not one single band apart from blink can pull off that sound IMO. I think it's definitely possible blink can pull out an album that's very unique for the pop punk genre. And I think blink need a producer that will let blink do whatever they want, as long as he can keep blink down to earth the same way Jerry Finn did. Gotta remember Mark and Travis came close to topping it with +44 and that's with two yes men as their guitarists, similar to the situation in AVA with Matt, Atom and David. They don't need to spend 2-3 years making the album. Neighborhoods was only that long cause Tom couldn't be assed.

But 6-9 months just experimenting and writing bad ass punk rock/alt rock songs? Definitely possible in my opinion. If Mark & Travis can come close like in +44 with two yes man as their members, then they can be even better with Skiba in my opinion.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Gotta be done without Feldman in the band man!

Seriously though, I do think Feldman is a great producer. He knows what he's doing. I could never doubt a producer like that. He's possibly just as good as Finn, but if he isn't, then he's probably close. But they're completely different. If you want Feldman, then it's because you wanna sell shit loads of records. He's not gonna be someone that'll let you experiment. He will maybe let you do something different, but that different won't be unique. It'll just be different for blink. Like 6/8 was different for a blink. But it sounds like something Sum 41 would do on Chuck. Finn was good as a producer when it came to the hit records too. But he would also allow a band to do whatever they wanted. All the punk rock albums he's produced sound different to each other. Can't say the same for Feldman.

The smiley face album, I've never heard anything close to it. Not one single band apart from blink can pull off that sound IMO. I think it's definitely possible blink can pull out an album that's very unique for the pop punk genre. And I think blink need a producer that will let blink do whatever they want, as long as he can keep blink down to earth the same way Jerry Finn did. Gotta remember Mark and Travis came close to topping it with +44 and that's with two yes men as their guitarists, similar to the situation in AVA with Matt, Atom and David. They don't need to spend 2-3 years making the album. Neighborhoods was only that long cause Tom couldn't be assed.

But 6-9 months just experimenting and writing bad ass punk rock/alt rock songs? Definitely possible in my opinion. If Mark & Travis can come close like in +44 with two yes man as their members, then they can be even better with Skiba in my opinion.

I hear ya, I think they definitely can and should put out some bad ass punk rock/alt rock songs with the current lineup! I just personally don't think they're capable of anything close to Untitled at this point in their lives and with Skiba instead of Tom. But I agree that if they take out Feldmann and do the rest of the things you mentioned, they will definitely end up with something that maximizes all of their powers in a rad way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Viva La Vera said:

Feldmann is a good producer.

For Hillary Duff and 5SOS.

It's crazy how there's always a mastermind behind the scenes you don't really know enough about (Finn).

He's definitely not got much information about him. I've tried researching about him for uni purposes and all, but there's not enough at all. I'd love to hear more stories about him. I mean there's so much to read when it comes to the likes of Butch Vig or Rick Rubin, but not so much about Jerry Finn.