The Show (Soundtrack) Taylor Steele 1998

luisbootlegs

2 hours ago, prankerd14 said:

Do any of you prefer the original version?

I'd say I prefer the original version because it has that Dude Ranch sound/vibe with that snare, and also Tom's voice is way punkier in this original version than the one on Enema.

as a counterpoint, i’d say i prefer the EOTS rendition. for me, i just can’t beat that crisp, jerry finn sound, and travis’s drums really shine on that song. the original is interesting though as it’s a weird bridge between DR and EOTS 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, prankerd14 said:

Do any of you prefer the original version?

i certainly do, as it was produced by trombino (recorded at the same session as "i won't be home for christmas") and overall has the dude ranch sound, particularly, as noted by others, on the drum production.

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 3:55 AM, daveyjones said:

i certainly do, as it was produced by trombino (recorded at the same session as "i won't be home for christmas") and overall has the dude ranch sound, particularly, as noted by others, on the drum production.

This would’ve been the last time the band recorded with Scott if I’m not mistaken? I wonder if Tom recorded the original Mutt and Christmas Track with one of his Les Pauls. Sounds like the Strat with the x2n but I believe around the time they went in to track this he had been using the Gibson’s live.  

2 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Drums are substantially worse.
Guitar parts aren't as good, e.g. missing the riff in the verses. 
Recording isn't as good.

Enema version pisses all over it. 

It was only ever a demo, wasn't it? I don't think the Scott version was ever properly arranged or recorded. 

5 hours ago, Speedo said:

It was only ever a demo, wasn't it? I don't think the Scott version was ever properly arranged or recorded. 

nope, not a demo. it was recorded, produced, mixed, and mastered as final. both i won't be home for xmas and mutt in the same session with trombino. fall, 1997.

16 hours ago, mil182 said:

This would’ve been the last time the band recorded with Scott if I’m not mistaken? I wonder if Tom recorded the original Mutt and Christmas Track with one of his Les Pauls.

i'm fairly certain tom recorded using his les paul, as he had retired the sticker strat by this time (fall 1997). but who knows... players like using more than one guitar in the studio.

and yes, the trombino sessions for i won't be home for xmas and mutt were mr. raynor's final studio recordings with the group.

FYI scott's final (officially released) live recordings with the group were the KROQ acoustic xmas show, december 1997.

Just now, daveyjones said:

why? both recordings sound more like dude ranch than enema to me. which is, in my book, a good thing.

I Won't Be Home, yes ... Mutt, no.

This version of Mutt just sounds like a demo to me, I guess that's why I thought it was.

• Like 1