Best Artist of our Generation?

Jan Backing Track

5 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

I just researched a bit. Dave Mathew Band didn't sell shit outside of the US. They might be one of the best artists for you..... but definately not of our entire generation. 

would explain why I don't know who they are.

On my way to looking up outside of US numbers..

During the period from 2000 to 2010, his band sold more tickets and earned more money than any other act in North America. The band's 2012 album Away from the World made them the only group to have six consecutive studio albums debut at number one on the Billboard charts.

So if an artist completely dominates the North American market, which is by far the largest music market, there just an afterthought?

6 minutes ago, Vera Said said:

On my way to looking up outside of US numbers..

During the period from 2000 to 2010, his band sold more tickets and earned more money than any other act in North America. The band's 2012 album Away from the World made them the only group to have six consecutive studio albums debut at number one on the Billboard charts.

So if an artist completely dominates the North American market, which is by far the largest music market, there just an afterthought?

Well, take a look at Nickelback's figures and get back to me. 

I just brought it up to bring to your attention that there is also people living across the atlantic and pacific ocean..... a lot of americans tend to forget that. 

Maybe Dave mathews band only works for a ceratin demografic

That's why i brought up albarn... that dude's touring the world for decades selling out arenas...

Oh I take it back.

Years ago I had a live rip of a performance of Crash Into Me. someone gave it to me, I think - probably some online friend. I never rated it much. relistening now to the normal version... still don't rate it much at all either. sounds like Dad easy listening? 

1 minute ago, _Kyle_ said:

that's the peeper song right?

You come crash into me
And I come into you,
I come into you
In a boys dream

Hike up your skirt a little more
And show your world to me
In a boy's dream, in a boy's dream

You wear nothing but you
Wear it so well
Tied up and twisted,
The way I'd like to be

and the use of a school yard chant at the end just makes it super weird. 

5 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

boring white people love the DMB, i'll give them that.

Yes and teenage girls made up the bulk of Blink fans.  The majority fan of a popular band is always going to suck.  DMB is boring white people and jam band stoners.  It is what it is.

3 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

I just brought it up to bring to your attention that there is also people living across the atlantic and pacific ocean..... a lot of americans tend to forget that. 

Well it wasn't meant to be arrogant, it's just statistically accurate to say the US music market is by far the largest.  All time greats, from a success standpoint, have to break into the US market and not vise versa.  From DMB's standpoint, they made a huge following touring the states, not from radio or video (things that transfer more), so it sort of made sense to stick to that.

Maybe Dave mathews band only works for a ceratin demografic

Doesn't every band pull certain demographics?  Bands like Foo Fighters are really the only ones that seem to pull in all directions.

That's why i brought up albarn... that dude's touring the world for decades selling out arenas...

Yeah I love Albarn.  He's wildly successful and a legend of our era forsure.  While he's pulling in millions of followers around the UK, europe, asia, etc, DMB has been pulling in millions of followers primarily in the larger market.  At the end of the day they are both wildly successful and huge. 

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Oh I take it back.

Years ago I had a live rip of a performance of Crash Into Me. someone gave it to me, I think - probably some online friend. I never rated it much. relistening now to the normal version... still don't rate it much at all either. sounds like Dad easy listening? 

Yes Again, picking out a band's biggest hit and judging it from their is a shame from a seasoned blink fan.  

2 hours ago, Kay said:

also wtf is with those lyrics? pretty gross for a pop song. 

Again, coming from a blink fan...? 

5 minutes ago, Vera Said said:

Yes and teenage girls made up the bulk of Blink fans. 

maybe in the summer of 2000? I think blink is defiantly a teenager band, but they aren't specifically for girls or are consumed by them.

@Vera Said me being a blink fan doesn't matter, I'm not suggesting blink are the best band of our generation. Also, they aren't a pop band, they're whole image was cheeky pop punk toilet humor, not 30s easy listening dad pop. The lyrics feel way weirder in the context of how that song sounds.

The song is boring af too

Yeah it's a boring song I don't really care for,  yet possibly their biggest hit.  ATST is probably blink's biggest hit, I don't care for that one either.  Band's biggest hits usually aren't good representations of the band overall, they just pull in a mass amount of casuals and get them noticed.

ITT: Everyone arguing that their opinion is definitively right, even though this was supposed to be an opinion based discussion thread.

I don't really have an opinion here, but I feel like there need to be some set down standards for this or it's going to be continue being a pointless argument. I feel like DMB is similar to the Goo Goo Dolls in that a lot of people know them from their one most popular song, but does that make them truly influential or just popular on a large scale with large enough demographics? I love the Goo Goo Dolls (though they've gone up and down in quality many times), but their demographic seems to be mostly 45+ people, especially women. Ninety percent of people I know probably know Iris, but most people I know don't play guitar. So is that influential? There's got to be a proper middle ground in order to properly define this stuff.

I'm younger than a lot of the board and don't listen to Nirvana, but that doesn't mean I should be making statements like "Nirvana is boring and I've never cared for them, so they never had any real influence"

12 hours ago, Vera Said said:

Well it wasn't meant to be arrogant, it's just statistically accurate to say the US music market is by far the largest.  All time greats, from a success standpoint, have to break into the US market and not vise versa.  From DMB's standpoint, they made a huge following touring the states, not from radio or video (things that transfer more), so it sort of made sense to stick to that.

I'm pretty sure Demon Days went double platinum in the states as well...

I agree that the US are a huge music market but  The Asian market as well as the European market are just as significant.    Again: maybe not to an american, but to the rest of the world it matters.

The US market might be the largest, but you have to take the size into consideration. you can't compare sales of the united states and compare them to a tiny country like denmark....

you have to compare the US Market with the European market, that's how it works

R.E.M. sold more than 85 million albums worldwide and is one of the world's best-selling music artists of all time. In 2007, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in their first year of eligibility.

even now, seven years after their breakup, they sell crazy amounts of back catalog every year.

globally, R.E.M. is far, far more influential and famous than DMB. and although dave and co. have sold more concert tickets in the US and had more number one album debuts, R.E.M.'s total album sales crush DMB like a grape.

• Like 2