Best Artist of our Generation?

Jan Backing Track

19 hours ago, Vera Said said:

Wasn't REM more late 80s early 90s? I know that's more your generation but I don't feel their relevancy much since 2000s.

it's true, their career is 1980–2011. i took "my generation" to mean in my lifetime. and i'd say they are the most famous, influential, and best-selling american rock band of my lifetime.

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

it's true, their career is 1980–2011. i took "my generation" to mean in my lifetime. and i'd say they are the most famous, influential, and best-selling american rock band of my lifetime.

Word, they're up there.  Who did they influence though?

2 hours ago, Vera Said said:

the epitome if easy to listen to Dad music.

are you serious? R.E.M. were the college rock band of the 1980s. they invented the genre of college rock. they invented the alternative music scene. kurt cobain himself worshipped them and credited them as such. 

"I don't know how that band [R.E.M.] does what they do," Cobain said in a 1994 Rolling Stone magazine interview. "God, they're the greatest. They've dealt with their success like saints, and they keep delivering great music."

you've got to listen to their IRS albums (the ones from the 80s)...

also, maybe @Kay knows this as well... but automatic for the people was on kurt cobain's CD player when his body was found. the player was on. he was listening to automatic for the people when he killed himself.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elisa said:

1) Leave
2) Nightswimming
3) What's The Frequency Kenneth
4) Radio Free Europe
5) So. Central Rain/ Losing My Religion

i can't even do songs. but i can do albums...

1. Reckoning
2. Murmur
3. Automatic for the People
4. Lifes Rich Pageant
5. Fables of the Reconstruction

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Welp, I think we've settled it then.  I have better taste in music than you guys. 

But really, I will die on it.  The Dave hate does baffle me but oh well, at least it's not Rise Against. REM and DMB are both top notch music to me, and hugely successfully, admittedly REM more so.  I didn't know about the Cobain stuff, so that was interesting.  Imo people just hate DMB primarily because of the fans (frat bros, etc), similar to reasons people hated on Blink, that's why I'll defend it.  They're very similar to blink, really poppy big hits but have some really great other stuff you need to come across.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:40 PM, Vera Mathews Band said:

I'm outraged.  

I like REM, but this is the epitome if easy to listen to Dad music..

Welcome to the ~ left ~! Enjoy your stay!

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Cali Denial Cape said:

Dave Grohl is definitely the coolest mother fucker of our generation though.. from Nirvana to Foo Fighters and everything in between, still going, rock legend forsure.

Is he fuck. The cunt isn’t on Liam Gallagher’s patch for coolness

• 1 year later...