New Feldmann Topic

Ghent

Dookie is kinda bland beside the songs that are great like Sassafrass Roots and Having a Blast and some of the singles. Kerplunk is perfect though.

top five AI songs 1) Whatsername 2) Extraordinary Girl 3) Homecoming 4) Letterbomb 5) Give Me Novacaine

• Like 1

I find the problem with Green Day (similar to the Offspring) is that they've never really changed their sound. Sure, American idiot is a big difference compared to Dookie, but at the same time is it really? The songs are just a little more polished, more slower. A couple more ballads. But at the end of the day, songs like American Idiot, St Jimmy could fit easily on Dookie if they weren't as polished. 

All they did was become a slower version of themselves, introduce a couple of ballads and a couple of stadium rock chant along songs to their albums, as well as structure their songs differently to the usual intro-verse-chorus-intro-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus. Still prefer Green Day way more though because at least they did all that to keep their sound fresh. But they've been doing the American Idiot sound for about 15 years now, and it's boring.

This is why I prefer bands like blink and AFI. They changed so much but at the same time, remained true to themselves up until California in blink's case. They still stuck to their typical styles, just under different genres. Always loved how blink merged their influences together to come up with their own unique sound. It's great hearing influences from the Cure, Refused, Fugazi, Descendents, New Order as well as rap/hip hop beats in blink-182 songs.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 2point5 said:

Green Day are the most overrated band in existence. Don’t understand the love for Dookie. Bang average. 

They're catchy. I think they're overrated too, but at the time I understood their popularity. It was pop, but had a little bit of an edge to make it not pop.

51 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I find the problem with Green Day (similar to the Offspring) is that they've never really changed their sound. Sure, American idiot is a big difference compared to Dookie, but at the same time is it really? The songs are just a little more polished, more slower. A couple more ballads. But at the end of the day, songs like American Idiot, St Jimmy could fit easily on Dookie if they weren't as polished. 

All they did was become a slower version of themselves, introduce a couple of ballads and a couple of stadium rock chant along songs to their albums, as well as structure their songs differently to the usual intro-verse-chorus-intro-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus. Still prefer Green Day way more though because at least they did all that to keep their sound fresh. But they've been doing the American Idiot sound for about 15 years now, and it's boring.

This is why I prefer bands like blink and AFI. They changed so much but at the same time, remained true to themselves up until California in blink's case. They still stuck to their typical styles, just under different genres. Always loved how blink merged their influences together to come up with their own unique sound. It's great hearing influences from the Cure, Refused, Fugazi, Descendents, New Order as well as rap/hip hop beats in blink-182 songs.

100% agree. The songs are almost all the same just more polished.  Blink was way more unique.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

green day wrote 1 song and repeated it for the rest of their career. (then they became a different band, and cloned other bands' songs.)

they're like a pop-punk oasis. well, at least oasis had 2 songs.

yike

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Ah, Le Troll.

Not sure if you're referring to me or not. If you are, sure, I like green day, don't love them. Kinda stopped after american idiot. But I am envious that blink couldn't stay friends the way green day did. Sorry for wanting my favorite band to keep some degree of credibility. Sure green day flamed out a long time ago musically speaking, but at least they can share the same stage together.

Signed, Le Troll

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

Not sure if you're referring to me or not. If you are, sure, I like green day, don't love them. Kinda stopped after american idiot. But I am envious that blink couldn't stay friends the way green day did. Sorry for wanting my favorite band to keep some degree of credibility. Sure green day flamed out a long time ago musically speaking, but at least they can share the same stage together.

Signed, Le Troll

Not you, mate. No worries.

i can't  tell you  why , but i don't like green day at all... billy joe is a douchebag and everything they thid, "warning" excluded, is forgetable.

i get why american idiot had mainstream success, but to me there are only a few bands i hate less ...

I love American Idiot loads but it's not on the level of smiley face IMO. Not even close. But I do get why it's more famous and sold more. Partly that's cause the smiley face album is pretty damn weird and bleak when compared to the sound of American Idiot, which is mostly upbeat sounding. The other reason is Green Day have more respect as a "rock" band than blink as well. Whereas blink are still known as the band that streaks as well as that "annoying" All the Small Things song, which IMO is a classic and not annoying at all.

Blink are getting there though but I think it's because of how influential they are. They've influenced so many bands in not just pop punk but outside of it. Still can't believe the Chainsmokers are influenced by them. A lot of people that are adults now also listened to blink back in the early 2000s. Eventually their kids will grow up and talk about blink the way bands like Ramones or whatever are talked about today.

There's three other albums that I think should be rated higher than American Idiot too. They're Deja Entendu by Brand New, Sing the Sorrow by AFI and Chuck by Sum 41. Those albums are amazing and come closer to blink's smiley face album for me.

All of this Green Day discussion had me listening to them for a few hours on shuffle. I've always liked a few of their songs, but they seriously do sound almost exactly the same across their discography. There's a few minor differences here and there, but even their melodies all kind of sound the same. I guess if you love it, that works.

• Like 1

I'm one who never liked Sum 41 and dislike them even more now re-listening.  I'll take Green Day over them any day.  Add Goldfinger, Offspring to that list.

Chuck is a decent album though, I will say I really miss intros and when bands put lots of time into albums like this to make it a full art piece instead of just singles and EPs nowadays.

• Like 1