REM vs Dave Matthews Band

Kay

REM vs Dave Matthews Band  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

Blinks singles do a great job of demonstrating what the band is like, not sure what you're getting at. 

Feeling This, Dammit, Always, Not Now, sure a lot of them are.. But if someone's never heard of them the ones they are treated to first, at least on Youtube, are ATST, I Miss You, and First Date.  I wouldn't consider that a good start and majority of people I've known refused to listen to them for that exact reason (hearing ATST on repeat on radio for years).

I'm saying it's hypocritical as a blink fan to write off another band off their few singles.

7 minutes ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

Feeling This, Dammit, Always, Not Now, sure a lot of them are.. But if someone's never heard of them the ones they are treated to first, at least on Youtube, are ATST, I Miss You, and First Date.  I wouldn't consider that a good start and majority of people I've known refused to listen to them for that exact reason (hearing ATST on repeat on radio for years).

I'm saying it's hypocritical as a blink fan to write off another band off their few singles.

Singles are supposed to be what you release to draw people in. They should be representative. 

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

Singles are supposed to be what the label feels will  be most popular and make the most money. They should be representative. 

Fixed.

And bands can't necessarily control which singles get most popular and radio play.  Blink can't control ATST getting so much more popular than Always just like DMB can't control Crash into Me getting so much more play than Funny the Way

Just figured out why this thread exists from looking at the best artists thread, lmao.

R.E.M. for sure! I don’t listen to them as much as I used to, but they have a more solid good album run than most bands do. 

11 hours ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

Fixed.

And bands can't necessarily control which singles get most popular and radio play.  Blink can't control ATST getting so much more popular than Always just like DMB can't control Crash into Me getting so much more play than Funny the Way

That may be true, but ATST is still representative of Enema of The State - the single reason people dislike it as blink fans is purely from it being over played and not because of the song itself. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 2:20 AM, Kay said:

the single reason people dislike it as blink fans is purely from it being over played and not because of the song itself. 

er, em, kay this is a bit of an overreach. as for the song itself, it's way too poppy and waaaaaaaaay too slow. and i'm not alone in this; that was the universal assessment from blink fans in 1999-2000.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:32 PM, Vera Mathews Band said:

Battle of the Dads.

well, if you're only going to listen to a band's middle-age material, yea, they are gonna sound middle age. REM in the 80s were practically a punk band. aggressive, toured relentlessly, avoided MTV, stayed on an indie label, always did what they wanted to do, told everyone else to fuck off.

as one writer put it: Younger [fans] who grew up on “Everybody Hurts” (or later even) may not realize it, but at one time R.E.M. was weird. Odd, angular, arty, fussy, and completely unwilling to contort themselves to fit pop music conventions.

even early dave matthews band was a bit transgressive. under the table and dreaming isn't completely terrible.

but when you only listen to a bands later, older material, sure. it sounds like dad rock. because they're dads.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 4:20 AM, Kay said:

That may be true, but ATST is still representative of Enema of The State - the single reason people dislike it as blink fans is purely from it being over played and not because of the song itself. 

42 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

Idk about that, I would say that about I Miss You or something... But not ATST. ATST is as poppy as it gets for blink whether overplayed or not.  

37 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

well, if you're only going to listen to a band's middle-age material, yea, they are gonna sound middle age. REM in the 80s were practically a punk band. aggressive, toured relentlessly, avoided MTV, stayed on an indie label, always did what they wanted to do, told everyone else to fuck off.

You are correct on this, I was mostly joking, I just know a lot of Dad's love REM but that's mostly because they've been around for a long time.  I'd say both bands are 'Dad friendly' listening compared to a band like blink though. You are sure to catch a lot of middle age men at both concerts.

37 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

as one writer put it: Younger [fans] who grew up on “Everybody Hurts” (or later even) may not realize it, but at one time R.E.M. was weird. Odd, angular, arty, fussy, and completely unwilling to contort themselves to fit pop music conventions.

even early dave matthews band was a bit transgressive. under the table and dreaming isn't completely terrible.

but when you only listen to a bands later, older material, sure. it sounds like dad rock. because they're dads.

Yes, early Dave is also pure luck to ever hit radio.  You can say the same about REM, they're both very unique sounds, you can't plan for that catching on despite lots of talented writing.

I'd would say all of DMB albums have transgressive elements throughout it not just Under The Table, it's just earlier had more. More violins, sax, offbeat moments.  

8 hours ago, daveyjones said:

er, em, kay this is a bit of an overreach. as for the song itself, it's way too poppy and waaaaaaaaay too slow. and i'm not alone in this; that was the universal assessment from blink fans in 1999-2000.

To the older fans, sure. But I guarantee you most of the people here, and current fans brought in before California, were introduced to and fell for blink because of ATST. It fits fine on Enema, it represents the album well, so my point still stands.

22 hours ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

I don't think ATST represents Enema or Blink. I think casuals fell for ATST but that's it.

Why? What about it sticks out compared to others? To me it's sonically no different. 

6 hours ago, Kay said:

Why? What about it sticks out compared to others? To me it's sonically no different. 

Sonically it's a lot poppier than anything else from Enema.  It's slower, the use of the nanas (although good) for a chorus, no riffage like the other songs, 4 simple power chords the whole song.  Granted songs like Rollercoaster would probably be as poppy if played as their #1 song, and I love that song, so you may be sort of right

4 hours ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

Sonically it's a lot poppier than anything else from Enema.  It's slower, the use of the nanas (although good) for a chorus, no riffage like the other songs, 4 simple power chords the whole song.  Granted songs like Rollercoaster would probably be as poppy if played as their #1 song, and I love that song, so you may be sort of right

1. It isn't slower, here - https://getsongbpm.com/album/enema-of-the-state/Q1Am7 . the only song with a higher bpm is Whats My Age Again. 

2. blink has used nanana's in a variety of other songs before and after All The Small Things

3. the opening chord structure can easily be considered a riff, it's memorable enough, as is the na na na hook. 

4. all blink songs are simple power chord songs. like practically all of them. 

21 minutes ago, Kay said:

1. It isn't slower, here - https://getsongbpm.com/album/enema-of-the-state/Q1Am7 . the only song with a higher bpm is Whats My Age Again. 

It depends on how they play to the tempo, a slow song can still have a fast BPM.  Just look at Dumpweed, 100 BPM but it's fast as shit once the second riff comes in.  Fine, it's not the slowest one,  it's just sung really slow for a pop punk song.

2. blink has used nanana's in a variety of other songs before and after All The Small Things

Like what? Online Songs?  Ignoring California, it's the only time they used it as a full chorus.  I have nothing against it, it's done right there and was newer at the time, but it's still very poppy.  Also, way more popular than Online songs.

3. the opening chord structure can easily be considered a riff, it's memorable enough, as is the na na na hook. 

It's very saturated/produced sounding though, to me at least.  That's really what makes it seem poppier, the production of it.

4. all blink songs are simple power chord songs. like practically all of them. 

Tom toys with them though.  He takes power chords and adds his own twist a bit, ATST is as basic as he's ever done it.

I'm not trying to argue my face off either over ATST, you are actually right about it being overplayed factoring the poppiness so much, but it's still up there as one of their most poppy.  

2 minutes ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

It depends on how they play to the tempo, a slow song can still have a fast BPM.  Just look at Dumpweed, 100 BPM but it's fast as shit once the second riff comes in.  Fine, it's not the slowest one,  it's just sung really slow for a pop punk song.

Like what? Online Songs?  Ignoring California, it's the only time they used it as a full chorus.  I have nothing against it, it's done right there and was newer at the time, but it's still very poppy.  Also, way more popular than Online songs.

It's very saturated/produced sounding though, to me at least.  That's really what makes it seem poppier, the production of it.

Tom toys with them though.  He takes power chords and adds his own twist a bit, ATST is as basic as he's ever done it.

I'm not trying to argue my face off either over ATST, you are actually right about it being overplayed factoring the poppiness so much, but it's still up there as one of their most poppy.  

but all of enema is poppy. it is all very tightly polished, it's the first with Jerry Finn and the first to be majorly pushed - it's designed to be poppy as an entire record. Whats My Age Again is just as poppy, take out the rude references and Adams Song and basically any of them could have been a pop earworm. All The Small Things was definitely geared to be the big single but it doesn't 'stick out' amongst the others when you listen to it. it flows within the album perfectly, and it hits all the same sonical points and production. the reason people say it's too poppy or focus on it or dislike it is because of how huge it became and how much more they know of the band. I don't even think it's a good song but so much of this is down to over exposure over the actual gubbins of the song itself.