Best decade for music?

Scott.

Best decade for music?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

10 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

I had a lot of love for 2004-2011 warped tour bands. That was my era and fuck the rest. 90's was pretty great. 

That era is even worse than 70s hippie rock. I almost consider that an achievement considering how terrible the 70s hippie rock era was. 

• Like 1

At least the 90s era bands weren't assholes about the new music that took over in mid 2000s, although probably cuz it was shitty.

All you'd ever hear growing up was how terrible Nirvana was for not using solos and how shitty Blink was for 1000 stupid reasons just because they were different from anything before.

The 70's sounded like an awesome decade for someone to discover new music.

My dad said because there was no social media, youtube, mtv ect that everyone had to go to live shows to see how great these bands were.

He also said the live music scene was a lot different. Popular bands and artists actually played at small clubs frequently and it wasn't uncommon to see three amazing bands on one bill playing in a club that holds 500 people.

Had to go with the 90s because it's the music I grew up with and it will always hold a special place in my heart. And because it was also the most diverse decade for music.. It goes from grunge to britpop to skate punk/pop punk/ the emo bands I love, the most amazing hip-hop albums and all those indie bands like Pavement/Built to Spill/Modest Mouse/Neutral Milk Hotel/Yo La Tengo/Belle & Sebastian. Too many to name but Kyle wrote a great list of artists. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cali Denial Cape said:

Mumble Rap and EDM are still two of the most popular music styles out there. This generation is definitely awful any way you spin it.

This is literally the view of pretty much every generation's opinion on the next generation of music. People are partial to what they grew up with and resistant to the newer stuff. Not everyone, but it definitely feels that way for most people. 

I don’t think music has gotten better or worse over time. I feel like the only reason we view past decades as better is because we’re not remembering all of the garbage that also came out back then alongside the stuff we do like.

I can't honestly say I've been a fan of modern music. I'm talking stuff that's on the top 40 charts. I can look back from 56-06 and find something to like, but the modern music just does nothing for me.

I think it's even been proven that the formula for hits is almost down to a science. I think that's why, and I don't like the "formula".

• Like 1

I think music was great in the early 20th century. And from 1956 to 66 it was great. After that it's been varying. Lots of good stuff, but also lots of terrible stuff. I think around 1970 was when pop music became kind of a crappy genre. And rock music became a genre and it mostly sucked. 

1 hour ago, Kvothe said:

This is literally the view of pretty much every generation's opinion on the next generation of music. People are partial to what they grew up with and resistant to the newer stuff. Not everyone, but it definitely feels that way for most people. 

True for the most part except not true for 2005ish-current.

Any old head, 60s, 70s, 80s would put 90s/early 2000s levels above current gen. Even without hindsight.  Like I'd put 90s as my favorite, but also 80s above mid 2000s and 60s above 70s.

29 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I can't honestly say I've been a fan of modern music. I'm talking stuff that's on the top 40 charts. I can look back from 56-06 and find something to like, but the modern music just does nothing for me.

I think it's even been proven that the formula for hits is almost down to a science. I think that's why, and I don't like the "formula".

Yeah, I've seen an in depth breakdown video of biggest hits last 20 years or whatever and 90% all used the same 4 chords in different variations...I think it was that guy who did an ATST breakdown.

12 minutes ago, Cali Denial Cape said:

Yeah, I've seen an in depth breakdown video of biggest hits last 20 years or whatever and 90% all used the same 4 chords in different variations...I think it was that guy who did an ATST breakdown.

I think this goes back centuries, possibly milleniae. 

45 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I think this goes back centuries, possibly milleniae. 

I think he means the idea that since the 1990s there has been a marked rise in formulaic pop songwriting based on set / specific / tried-and-true industry practices in a way that’s unprecedented in the music industry. 

John Seabrook’s book The Song Machine: Inside the Hit Factory goes through the history of this development in music in an accessible but also engaging way. It’s kind of spooky. Max Martin is responsible for close to the entirety of what was dominating the radio up until the early 2010s which is when I would say pop took a backseat to mumble, trap, and emo rap.