Best decade for music?

Scott.

Best decade for music?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

I think he means the idea that since the 1990s there has been a marked rise in formulaic pop songwriting based on set / specific / tried-and-true industry practices in a way that’s unprecedented in the music industry. 

Well that and it is literally the same 4 chords in the biggest Britney Spears song you hear in the biggest country song to 70% of other massive hits.  Almost like it was pinned down to a science what hits the mass populations sensations best. Like how it triggers the same pop senses..

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

John Seabrook’s book The Song Machine: Inside the Hit Factory goes through the history of this development in music in an accessible but also engaging way. It’s kind of spooky. Max Martin is responsible for close to the entirety of what was dominating the radio up until the early 2010s which is when I would say pop took a backseat to mumble, trap, and emo rap.

This really spooked me out indeed when I learned that majority of every big hit of my generation was written by this wizard guy behind the curtain this whole time. The same single guy...yet you'd hardly know the name.

• Like 1

I wrote a song about him when I was 15. It was about having to change yourself to win American Idol on tv and sing Max Martin songs. "I go to the studio singing this track written by a Swedish guy on Crack"

I'd be more surprised if people didn't use the same four chords. It's basically how people have been writing songs forever. There aren't that many chords that fit together for traditional songwriting. If we've listened to Blink we should know this. Especially if one is using power chords or minor chords/major chords. 

90's and early 2000's is the best for me. Can appreciate the decades before that too. But from 2005 and onwards it's been fucking trash as far as chart music goes. I mean every decade has trash music in the charts but none of them are as consistently bad as 2005-2018.

The past 13 years does have great music still, but you really do have to look for it like Nasa stated. I mean most of the world aren't gonna be hearing +44, the Wonder Years, Japandroids, The Dirty Nil or Against Me. They're the "recent" bands I listen to anyway. I'm aware Against Me existed and had albums out before that but they didn't make a proper mark till after IMO. Kinda like blink before 1997. They existed and had an album out but didn't make their mark yet.

• 9 months later...
54 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Leigh Nash in the 90s ?

giphy.gif

She looks so much like Hayley Williams. 90s perfection. Great fucking song too. We’re they a one hit wonder? 

That song is so good ! Such a classic song !

I don't think they were a one hit wonder, they had that There She Goes cover also !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thibaut182 said:

That song is so good ! Such a classic song !

I don't think they were a one hit wonder, they had that There She Goes cover also !

It’s a great 90s song. Really nostalgic sound. Did they cover that?? I fucking love that song. I’m gonna have to check that out. I quite like the NFG cover of kiss me too

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Scott. said:

It’s a great 90s song. Really nostalgic sound. Did they cover that?? I fucking love that song. I’m gonna have to check that out. I quite like the NFG cover of kiss me too

Easily best song of 1999 hands down ! That NFG cover is great too !

Yep haha ? 

Great seeing that Sixpence None The Richer is getting some recognition haha ! I've always really enjoyed their music !

7 minutes ago, Thibaut182 said:

Easily best song of 1999 hands down ! That NFG cover is great too !

Yep haha ? 

Great seeing that Sixpence None The Richer is getting some recognition haha ! I've always really enjoyed their music !

Oh yes I have heard it. Yeah it’s decent. Not a patch on the original though which could be the ultimate 90s song. 

• Like 1