New Feldmann Topic

Ghent

I don't think anyone is saying that really Ghent. 

I think Mark would have prefered a more mature sound but he's terrified of becoming irrelevant and desperately craved the fame and attention that he got back in the day with blink. He then looked around for a producer, saw who was churning out mainstream/pop alternative records out for fun to mass audiences and was like oooo, All Time Low and 5SOS are huge at the minute - lets get the guy who produced those albums in. I think you sometimes underestimate how insecure Mark is. 

Feldman did what he was always going to do with the album and make a polished/poppy sounding album - I more question the reasoning and logic behind choosing him in the first place rather than the actual influence he had on the record. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

I think they wrote the album they wanted to, are super proud of it, it's doing very well, and they plan to work with Feldmann in the future because of it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That might be the case but can you completely rule out my reasoning for them hiring Feldman? seems pretty logical/possible to me. 

My biggest complaint was that the mastering sounded like shit, and I was shocked that nobody else was hearing it, and then the actual album came out and it sounded far better. So, I don't really have anything to say about Feldmann, unless he's responsible for Sober.

6 minutes ago, Poet Danderson said:

That might be the case but can you completely rule out my reasoning for them hiring Feldman? seems pretty logical/possible to me. 

I think they hired Feldmann because they weren't extremely happy with what they had written at that point. They were going to work with multiple producers but ended up hitting it off with Feldmann and starting from scratch with him.

I'm sure we'll get more details in the future, but I think it's silly to suggest that Feldmann forced anything upon them.

Just now, Poet Danderson said:

I give up, you clearly don't get it. 

Says the guy who JUST claimed that Mark wanted to write a dark album but is too insecure and let Feldmann force an album down his throat so he can be popular like the guys in 5SOS again.

They definitely recorded with Feldman because they wanted it to be commercially successful. They booted Tom out, new member, a lot of people wanted to write them off, but they got a number one album out of it.

The way they released it to radio DJs first showed the tactics. They could have thought fuck it and put a song up on their website for everyone after all the delays to announce the new blink, but no.

I love the album though. I was so negative about it before it came out after the first three songs were released, but I actually really like it. 5 or so really good songs. The hate on here for Feldman (and Tom for that matter) is crazy though, Feldman didn't force them to write these songs. The band is bigger than Feldman, they could have told him where to go if they weren't happy.

• Like 1

Just now, Benjirob said:

They definitely recorded with Feldman because they wanted it to be commercially successful. They booted Tom out, new member, a lot of people wanted to write them off, but they got a number one album out of it.

The way they released it to radio DJs first showed the tactics. They could have thought fuck it and put a song up on their website for everyone after all the delays to announce the new blink, but no.

I love the album though. I was so negative about it before it came out after the first three songs were released, but I actually really like it. 5 or so really good songs. The hate on here for Feldman (and Tom for that matter) is crazy though, Feldman didn't force them to write these songs. The band is bigger than Feldman, they could have told him where to go if they weren't happy.

This. I definitely agree that they wanted to be commercially successful again. But I don't view that as inherently evil. Sometimes things get popular and are commercially successful because they're good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

This. I definitely agree that they wanted to be commercially successful again. But I don't view that as inherently evil. Sometimes things get popular and are commercially successful because they're good.

NO GHENT.  POPULARITY =/= QUALITY HAVEN'T YOU HEARD.  

evil sellouts. 

1 minute ago, Olidamus said:

These little sarcastic one liners are just the worst, they are devoid of any type of intellectual honesty.

They're way better than making up stories and pretending to know what went on in the studio during the California recording process. 

If you don't like the album that's OK, it's the industry experts and the weird obsession with hating Feldmann that draws out the one-liners. 

I want to clarify that I am beginning to think that Mark, Matt, and Travis simply did not have the ability to write their own music with any reasonable success. If they literally had no desire to cull any of the original songs they wrote without Feldman onto the album, it must have been pretty bad. That makes me sad.

So in that sense, I guess they needed Feldman, maybe he did save Blink, maybe we are getting an album that was Feldman taking a dead in the water without Tom lineup and turning it into something.

Maybe,

6 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

They're way better than making up stories and pretending to know what went on in the studio during the California recording process. 

If you don't like the album that's OK, it's the industry experts and the weird obsession with hating Feldmann that draws out the one-liners. 

People I have pulled this "you don't know the truth!" card for years. It doesn't really fly. There is generally enough evidence to form correct opinions. I did it with Tom's situation, I did it with the Neighborhoods album, and many other Blink things.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

These little sarcastic one liners are just the worst, they are devoid of any type of intellectual honesty.

Says the guy who screams STRAWMAN everytime he takes a hit in a debate :)

8 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I don't think California will stand the test of time. The fanboy and desire to see the new iteration of Blink 182 succeed has tilted people into loving this; but give it a few years and I predict opinions will change.

Let me again say, it is not a terrible album, but it is still one of Blink's worst IMO.

I think you have it backwards. The fanboys are generally the ones who hate the album (because they hate change and are generally tombots). The casuals love the album because it reminds them of old blink and is catchy and fun and awesome.

Most of what you see here (which is a huge conglomeration of fanboys) is whining and crying and complaining about California. But check out the charts and read random opinions on twitter etc and you'll see the album getting praised.