The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

17 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I find it interesting because Adam's Song is arguably blink's greatest song or one of their greatest at least

I think what blink's greatest song is that reaches out and has the broadest appeal is probably I Miss You.

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

I think what blink's greatest song is that reaches out and has the broadest appeal is probably I Miss You.

Excluding mark in the first verse, I cannot stand I miss you. One of the most boring songs blink has ever written. All the small things is at least bearable, and the bigger song.

11 minutes ago, LukeDreamwalker said:

Excluding mark in the first verse, I cannot stand I miss you. One of the most boring songs blink has ever written. All the small things is at least bearable, and the bigger song.

What!?!? ATST is not half the song that I Miss You is.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, LukeDreamwalker said:

Actually, in terms of sales (single sales mind you, not the sales of the albums each single came from), I Miss You was actually blink's most successful single.   Furthermore, I've heard it reach far more varied radio stations, while ATST, was mostly on top 40 and rock stations, I Miss You was on those same stations as well as alternative, some indie stations, and even a few adult contemporary stations.  While it isn't my favorite blink song it does seem to be their most successful in terms of reaching a large and wider audience. 

I think I Miss You was a bigger hit at the time, but ATST is their more prolific single. It's played all over the world at dance clubs and bars, and I still hear it on the radio quite a bit. I Miss You is such a well composed song though IMO. Great staying value too. I loved that they were able accomplish a massive pop hit in such a unique way. (Whereas ATST is such a formulaic pop-punk song.)

2 minutes ago, LukeDreamwalker said:

I heard ATST on the radio in a tiny podunk town in Montana. Haven't heard I miss you in Missoula (Montanas second largest city) even once. I'm just saying.

I've heard I Miss You on incredibly obscure radio stations, stations that would normally never play blink, many times at that,  i can not say the same for ATST.

that's why i miss you was maybe my favorite big single of theirs, because it was something different and unique. had they immediately continued that route, i'm sure they could've changed peoples' perceptions of them.

all said, i STILL hear ATST all the time but i don't even remember i miss you on the radio.

All The Small Things yeah has more "staying power" I suppose, but in terms of the song that reached the widest and most varied audience, as well as the single that actually sold the most, it was I Miss You. 

Frankly neither song makes my top 5 for blink songs (though I Miss You is definitely closer to that list).  It just seems to me that I Miss You was the single that was steering blink in the right direction to become a band with a much wider appeal than what they had drawn in by that time.  Of course that momentum didn't continue when Down and Always failed to take off as very successful singles, and then of course the breakup happening not long after that truly killed that push that was seemingly about to happen.  I truly believe a follow up album released in 2005 (something much closer in overall sound to self titled and not so much Neighborhoods) really could have made blink become an even bigger band than they were at their peak Enema days.

• Like 1

I think if the adventure had become a blink song on a 2005 album, it could have been one of their biggest songs ever and hit a widespread audience. The intro build up and riff with blink effects (heavy self titled guitars), the verse melody resung by tom with better lyrics in the less whiny voice, a completely redone chorus from mark with an actual hook that keeps up the pace of the song, and just general input from mark and Travis on the song. Song could have been a mega hit if it was handled like a self titled song.

• Like 1

you essentially just said that it would be a huge hit if it were a different song entirely lol

the lyrics in that song are pretty lame and just show how fucked on pain killers tom was. people loved it because it was the first blink-related thing we had heard since the breakup. now that time has passed, it really isn't that great.

• Like 1

I never understood the love for the adventure, outside of my general AVA & Tom bashing, it just literally doesn't appeal to me by itself. it's boring. it's the first AVA song I heard and I instantly didn't like it and I still don't get why people do. unless they rewrote the whole song entirely I don't see how it would have worked in blink.

I wonder if Always would have done a lot better being the follow up single to I Miss You and they just skipped Down entirely. It's one of the singles you hear the least by them on the radio and stuff... probably because it's not a great song (personal opinion) but it isn't the catchiest 'single' style track either really, Always fits that much better. Genuinely don't know why they released Down at all. 

• Like 1