The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

39 minutes ago, uuhhmmaazziinngg said:

Can anyone answer this for me, if Box Car Racer caused such a rift between Tom & Mark, then why did Mark do vocals on "Elevator"?

Consolation prize. Rushed way to try to mend the whole thing.

7 minutes ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

Elevator was a good song though.  Gotta say.

Yeah it's great. It's also a bit haunting at the end:

"Let's forget this alllllll, move onnnn"

If only they would listen to their own lyrics! 

I always wonder if Mark would be pissed if someone asked him to sign a BCR album. I've never seen one signed by Mark, and he's technically on the album... but obviously it's kind of a sore subject and a bit awkward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uuhhmmaazziinngg said:

Can anyone answer this for me, if Box Car Racer caused such a rift between Tom & Mark, then why did Mark do vocals on "Elevator"?

"The whole situation sucked. But I sang on the track because, at the heart of it, Tom and Travis are my friends. I'm sure Tom felt the tension and asked me as an offering. I was glad to have done it, and I was glad that he asked."

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/everything-we-learned-from-blink-182s-ama-on-reddit-13676

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, boxelder said:

"The whole situation sucked. But I sang on the track because, at the heart of it, Tom and Travis are my friends. I'm sure Tom felt the tension and asked me as an offering. I was glad to have done it, and I was glad that he asked."

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/everything-we-learned-from-blink-182s-ama-on-reddit-13676

Thank you! It's always been a favorite of mine but I never knew the history behind that track. I almost assumed that it was a song for blink that Tom added to BCR and maybe that's what caused the rift but I'm glad to know that Tom wasn't thaaat much of a prick

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I do take Tom's word that he had no clue how much that would hurt Mark. He's always been the "confident" one I suppose.

i also buy the explanation that it wasn't meant to be a big thing, and travis being involved was so he didn't have to pay a session drummer. then MCA got involved and it became this big thing. sounded like he just wanted to screw around by himself with stuff he felt wasn't blink-esque. of course, the fact that he imagined blink to be incapable of evolving with him is sorta why everything collapsed soooo lol

i don't blame mark for being so bummed though. i bet it was difficult for him, since the press was like "blink 182... minus one guy" lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, boxelder said:

i also buy the explanation that it wasn't meant to be a big thing, and travis being involved was so he didn't have to pay a session drummer. then MCA got involved and it became this big thing. sounded like he just wanted to screw around by himself with stuff he felt wasn't blink-esque. of course, the fact that he imagined blink to be incapable of evolving with him is sorta why everything collapsed soooo lol

i don't blame mark for being so bummed though. i bet it was difficult for him, since the press was like "blink 182... minus one guy" lol

I wonder about that too, there must have been some sort of understanding or misunderstanding at that point, about whether Blink was going to evolve or run another Enema/TOYPAJ out again. The Cali Era makes me think Mark may have wanted to just continue on that path, but BCR obviously knocked it off course and luckily we ended up with Untitled instead.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

It's kind of funny mark went off to do an episode of Haunted while Tom made BCR.

Wasn't he dressed up in a beard with long hair wearing long rags for clothes like a bum? You know, the western Jesus look? That was always my favorite Mark look. It's a shame he discovered Jimmy Neutron about a decade later.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I wonder about that too, there must have been some sort of understanding or misunderstanding at that point, about whether Blink was going to evolve or run another Enema/TOYPAJ out again. The Cali Era makes me think Mark may have wanted to just continue on that path, but BCR obviously knocked it off course and luckily we ended up with Untitled instead.

i definitely think mark would have just been fine repeating EOTS over and over again...he says that in the 2013 vinyl reissue booklet of TOYPAJ. you're onto something when you say with mark in charge we get cali.

19 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I do take Tom's word that he had no clue how much that would hurt Mark. He's always been the "confident" one I suppose.

How could you be that stupid though? You write songs that you don't think fit on a Blink album, but your songwriting partner, your friend, and the guy who ya know, has been there with you since basically the start and who you've just finished playing sold out arean shows with. You don't consult him?

Then to add insult to injury you pull in Travis?

I am sorry I don't think Tom is that fucking stupid. I don't think he meant to deeply hurt Mark, but I think he knew Mark wouldn't be happy. There is no way around it.

• Like 2

Just now, Olidamus said:

How could you be that stupid though? You write songs that you don't think fit on a Blink album, but your songwriting partner, your friend, and the guy who ya know, has been there with you since basically the start and who you've just finished playing sold out arean shows with. You don't consult him?

I am sorry I don't think Tom is that fucking stupid. I don't think he meant to deeply hurt Mark, but I think he knew Mark wouldn't be happy. There is no way around it.

Tom did consult with Mark. We have no indication of how exactly this project went down in the early stages and the steps involved. But Mark wasn't in the dark about it. Tom could of told Mark he was making a side project and it wasn't going to be much of anything but a throwback to post-hardcore music Mark probably didn't want mucking up Blink. Mark's like "okay, cool," and Tom finished writing, then it involves Travis/Finn (which is hard not to pass up, but maybe he should have?) and gets to become a slightly bigger deal. Tom rarely promoted BCR outside of a small tour, two music videos, and initial interviews. Heck I saw Blink the same week the BCR album dropped. It wasn't that big of a deal in how huge blink was at the time and really was an afterthought. I think Mark's insecurities just certainly caught up with him, and he never wanted that project to become Tom's real band. I can totally believe Tom just didn't see this band as any kind of threat.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Yeah, I think Tom knew it'd annoy Mark as well. But it does sound that Tom really did want this to be a little project. Then the label got involved, wanted to make this a proper thing. I swear I remember Tom mentioning that it wasn't meant to be a real band, and that it was just intended for him. I think Mark may have just got paranoid about the situation. I understand Mark's point of view too. He said something along the lines of "why can't we just write darker blink songs?" Ironic Tom felt that these songs weren't blink friendly. Mark was the first to come up with darker songs in the first place. Adam's Song. Man Overboard although pop punk, is actually a serious song as well.

Still I'm glad it turned out the way it did. We got a great side project album, and we also got IMO blink's best album not long after.

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

He said something along the lines of "why can't we just write darker blink songs?" Ironic Tom felt that these songs weren't blink friendly. Mark was the first to come up with darker songs in the first place. Adam's Song. Man Overboard although pop punk, is actually a serious song as well.

Still I'm glad it turned out the way it did. We got a great side project album, and we also got IMO blink's best album not long after.

Well, STFTK was dark and that was partially by Tom too. So I guess they weren't completely ready to change what the band was because of Tom's new ideas. Maybe he was scared that stuff wouldn't fly. Fugazi influenced blink doesn't sound horrible now, but in 2001 that would probably be a little much if not done perfectly. TOYPAJ also got criticisms from management and the label that those weren't what casual blink fans would want, so they wrote First Date and Rock Show to compensate. I think Tom knew how relatively insular a lot of those songs were and they all came from the same era supposedly during the 9/11 - back surgery state he was in. I think he just assumed they weren't quite in blink's wheelhouse. Blink's always been fun and light in contrast. I think it wasn't until how well BCR did and how accomplished it was that he maybe got that insane level of confidence (also drugs) that created the potential that he could just go alone. Mark was just scared cause he knew Tom had the chops and demonstrated he could venture off whenever with somewhat limited effort. Box Car Racer is a rad band and I wish that Tom was still around to kick butt.

• Like 4