The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

I've tried to listen to Motion City Soundtrack before and honestly I can't get into them. I just find them very generic sounding. Not one song interests me. Prefer Alkaline Trio way more.

lol I'm literally the exact opposite. I can't seem to get into Alkaline Trio in any way shape or form, but I love Motion City

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cat_Lover182 said:

They like me more than they like old farts like you. Have you not noticed how much they pander to my generation?

That's because kids like you like shitty music ... also, old ethans like ghent.

Damn, never seen this show and I think Mark did the best here overall, but this is why I loved old Tom live...always went too fast and made it a bit more energetic, and how they'd carry out songs like improvising here was always a blast live.  Feeling this before, WMAA after are some of the best live performances. Rock show breakdown.. Also, best guitar tone I'd argue, crunchy as fuck

edit: you guys have probably all seen it already, but I'm a wee bit tipsy

10 hours ago, Ghent's Brother said:

Throwing MCS in with stereotypical '00s pop punk bands sounds like something a person who had only ever heard The Future Freaks Me Out and Everything Is Alright would say.

They are way more on the indie/poppy side.  Time to go listen to MCS all afternoon!

Shots fired at Ghent!

I have noticed in the past he does seem to have quiet strong opinions on bands that hes clearly never really listened too though...

• Like 1

I do understand what people say about Alkaline Trio not being interesting. I have the same feeling with some albums, but they do have some killer songs too IMO. Wish they had more guitar riffs like in the song "I Was a Prayer". That riff sounds like a blink one that'd fit on Take Off.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:30 PM, Ghent's Brother said:

Throwing MCS in with stereotypical '00s pop punk bands sounds like something a person who had only ever heard The Future Freaks Me Out and Everything Is Alright would say.

for sure. motion city probably have the most interesting songwriting and arrangements for their genre, late 90s–2010s. and amazing lyrics. MCS are nothing like the mall-punk fall out boy generation of bands. in fact, they probably most sound like superchunk and other early 90s indie rock.

• Like 4

On 4/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, Kay said:

Panic Stations I just couldn't get into. maybe I should try again.

the thing is for me, the best MCS songs were the slower, harder ones. Last Night, Hold Me Down, The Weakends, The Worst Part, etc. I loved those the most - it's probably why I liked Go so much. 

panic stations took me a minute, but once i crawled inside the production and realized it's sort of motion city's in utero, it settled for me.

Last Night / Hold Me Down / The Weakends / The Worst Part are all top notch. and yes, sort of the heavier mid-tempo wall of sound they do. in that same vein, off the deluxe version of go, Floating down the River / Bottom Feeder / Give Up-Give In are fantastic.

have you heard farewell continental? one of justin's side bands. their album Hey, Hey Pioneers! is EPIC. picture MCS with a female vocalist singing call-and-return style with justin.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, _Kyle_ said:

The Worst Part is a heartbreakingly beautiful song.

Yeah MCS is very very influenced by 90s indie rock. The Rentals, Weezer, Pavement, Ben Folds Five, Superchunk, Fugazi, etc. So I consider them (in my mind) a 90s -ish band that evolved out the pop-punk/emo landscape of the early 00s.

truth. all truth.