The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

A ton of bands usually kinda denounce their early stuff as childish and stop playing it entirely.  Not sure if anyone here has ever been a fan of Bring me the Horizon but they never play anything off of their first two albums anymore, same with The Devil Wears Prada for the most part.

6 hours ago, Kay said:

I don't have an issue with the lyric itself, the song overall is quite childish. As a songwriter though, I can totally see where she's coming from. She probably feels very embarrassed by the song overall not just that lyric, purely from a 'catty girl aggressive bullshit' perspective. She's not a kid anymore, it's an ugly representation of being a teen and Paramore have grown up a lot thematically since then. I can see why fans would be pissed though, it's like their biggest hit. But you can still listen to the record, and there's a loads of old live recordings. No one is really losing anything. Her song, her band, her choice.

pretty much agreed. As someone who has wanted to see Paramore for the past ten years and has always had something get in the way of me seeing them when ever an opportunity to do so arises, I'm a little bummed that if I do go see them now that I won't get to hear the song that made me like them in the first place. But, eh. Nothing is as bad as being a longtime blink fan and wanting to hear deep cuts live lol.

I mean blink still sings "need a girl that I can train" so changing Apple Shampoo lyrics always felt super overblown to me. Wouldn't change my opinion at all of the rendition if I was lucky enough to hear it live. Especially when Tom sang "I'm so sick/of blowjobs/I hate them" in Always.

Sucks for Paramore fans. We went through the same bullshit with Adam's Song.

13 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I mean blink still sings "need a girl that I can train" so changing Apple Shampoo lyrics always felt super overblown to me. Wouldn't change my opinion at all of the rendition if I was lucky enough to hear it live. Especially when Tom sang "I'm so sick/of blowjobs/I hate them" in Always.

Sucks for Paramore fans. We went through the same bullshit with Adam's Song.

Didn't Adam's Song finally make a comeback? I could be remembering incorrectly but I swear they played it with Matt at least once.

20 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Didn't Adam's Song finally make a comeback? I could be remembering incorrectly but I swear they played it with Matt at least once.

Yeah they played it with Matt, hence my use of past tense with "we went through the same bullshit" instead of "we're currently going through the same bullshit" but...I got no clue if Adam's Song is part of the regular setlist now or not haha

On 9/8/2018 at 9:57 AM, Kay said:

I don't have an issue with the lyric itself, the song overall is quite childish. As a songwriter though, I can totally see where she's coming from. She probably feels very embarrassed by the song overall not just that lyric, purely from a 'catty girl aggressive bullshit' perspective. She's not a kid anymore, it's an ugly representation of being a teen and Paramore have grown up a lot thematically since then. I can see why fans would be pissed though, it's like their biggest hit. But you can still listen to the record, and there's a loads of old live recordings. No one is really losing anything. Her song, her band, her choice.

Its their most well known song. What a stupid thing to do. Thats like blink not playing Wmaa or Atst ever again

Ive never heard of a rock band that didnt hate some of their old hits, but its their job to play for the audience. Hayley just sounds like a confused diva

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

It's really not that unusual. Weezer went through a long period of not playing anything from Pinkerton no matter how much fans wanted to hear some of those songs.

Rivers is a very strange guy. Im guessing that was around the time it came out? Because that's 1 of their top 2 albums. He had to have realized what a mistake that was

29 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's really not that unusual. Weezer went through a long period of not playing anything from Pinkerton no matter how much fans wanted to hear some of those songs.

Someone once told me that Pinkerton is a gateway album for burgeoning incels and now I can't look at it the same way anymore.

49 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Its their most well known song. What a stupid thing to do. Thats like blink not playing Wmaa or Atst ever again

Ive never heard of a rock band that didnt hate some of their old hits, but its their job to play for the audience. Hayley just sounds like a confused diva

?

1 hour ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Rivers is a very strange guy. Im guessing that was around the time it came out? Because that's 1 of their top 2 albums. He had to have realized what a mistake that was

It was after the album came out and up until 2008 or 2009. For a while, he said he was embarrassed that so many bands found it inspirational. He has changed his mind and Hayley might at some point too, but bands are allowed to dislike their earlier work and want to distance themselves from it. In a few years, Paramore might bring Misery Business back, who knows?

32 minutes ago, Nasa said:

Someone once told me that Pinkerton is a gateway album for burgeoning incels and now I can't look at it the same way anymore.

I can totally see that lol.

43 minutes ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

I think it's more a distance themselves from their biggest hit and fans favorite song to push more love for their other/newer stuff more than any explanation they give.

Shes just overthinking it. Nobody cares if she feels more grown up now. Its a good song. Their breakthrough most popular song. Do your job as a musician and play it for your audience! 

Does she think shes the only artist whos lasted more than 10 years? She needs to get over herself. Oh poor you, you have to play a song for your fans. If she's so mature and grown up, she would just play the damn song!

I think it's best to remember that Pinkerton was once part of a giant space opera that Rivers was making about his year at Harvard in 1995. also I don't think that album validates any of those feelings, especially since Butterfly ends it all on such a dour note.