The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

22 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Listened to it last night for the first time in awhile. Still like it and loved hearing Tom's guitar again on Natives/Snake Charmer/UAN/etc., but wow I noticed some of the flaws so much more. Bass work is pretty much non-existent, most of Tom's verses are lyrically all over the place (even though I've always just liked the sound of his voice regardless of what jargon he is spewing out), some songs don't even sound like Tom/Mark both even laid down their own instruments (IIRC some they didn't). But most of all, I was surprised at just how bad pretty much every bridge was. It is an aspect that I am definitely glad Feldy pushed them on. (Mark admitted he hated writing bridges and Feldy kept telling them, "You gotta have a bridge.") I know this will trigger many of you, but the bridges from Parking Lot/Wildfire are 10x better than any of Neighborhood's IMHO!

21 hours ago, Champ182 said:

That was especially true for DED. Some of those were frankensteined together so bad. If I remember right, Disaster's even goes for an extra measure in a way that does NOT sound intentional haha

I always thought that was inspired by their old sound (Reckless Abandon, Roller coaster from the top of my head) 
Like the bridge on GOTDF and DED to name a few screams "classic" blink to me only with worse production.

23 hours ago, Champ182 said:

That was especially true for DED. Some of those were frankensteined together so bad. If I remember right, Disaster's even goes for an extra measure in a way that does NOT sound intentional haha

I definitely believe everything in Disaster was intentional. 

On 9/27/2018 at 11:49 AM, JarJarBlinks said:

there are NO real bridges in Neighborhoods lol.  They just rang out some chords and had Travis play a drum beat before moving back into the final chorus.

bridges were definitely the weakest thing about Neighborhoods imo. Still disappointing to this day.

Though I do love the album for the most part.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

ugh I just listened to Snake Charmer and Kaleidoscope and it made me even more disappointed in current blink-182. I would have loved it if blink continued in the direction they were going in Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs.

Snake charmer has the best bridge on NHs by far.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

Speaking of which, and taking in count that there's no 'pro' live recording of it, I always thougt they translated Disaster to the live show pretty well

I nearly forgot about that ep ...some great songs on there, i love disaster and when i was young..

I remember everyone raving about the bridge of Snake Charmer when it was first released too. Think I must be the only one who finds the bridge boring in that song. It's just the same as what Jar Jar Binks was saying, them ringing or strumming power chords. The only difference is that Mark is singing some ahhs and ohhs and Tom is repeating one of the lines from the chorus.

Saying that, I do think the bridge fits in well with the song, but I think if they were working like a proper band, we could've got something kinda similar to Asthenia's bridge or something.

The bridge on GOTDF would be great if it wasn't caked over in like 100 synthesisers. Way way too much is going on and I can barely hear anything and Travis is just going overboard on the drums. It's just noise. But I can hear it better on the live sets and it would've been a great bridge if it wasn't for shit production.

Kaleidoscope works. It's not the most interesting bridge from a stand alone point of view but it's fucking great for that song. Wasn't a fan of the Wishing Well one but what Tom did on the live sets would've been awesome for it. Same with After Midnight. What he was doing before the song was released sounded fucking huge. But it ended up being boring clean guitars. Neighborhoods bridges was exactly what Jar Jar Binks said.

They either rang out power chords or octave chords, or strummed them with the odd palm muted notes here and there. Or they tried to resemble the Cure like in After Midnight and Even if She Falls. GOTDF is the only one that was different because it was close to what Tom was playing live. Just the production ruined it. UAN and FTG were different too but that's because of different song structuring so they didn't really have bridges.

They improved a little bit on DED but also went even worse. Disaster is the worst blink bridge I've ever heard. It's not even a bridge. Just a little drum beat that would've been better suited for an outro and then slowly fading out. The song DED and Boxing Day have very good bridges though IMO. Least they weren't boring. But outside of them two songs the bridges are just as bad as Neighborhoods I think.