The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Weird. I remember Mark saying in some interview prior to the release of the original California, that Hey I'm Sorry was the one that survived from their first demoing sesions before Feldmann came in, and the only one, between 30 demos or so, that ended up being on the finsl record, but 'revisited' by Feldmann.

What I don't recall is which interview was that, but I remember it pretty clearly.

Perfect example of FAN FIC turned into "facts" on this board to incite Feldy-Hate. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Weird. I remember Mark saying in some interview prior to the release of the original California, that Hey I'm Sorry was the one that survived from their first demoing sesions before Feldmann came in, and the only one, between 30 demos or so, that ended up being on the finsl record, but 'revisited' by Feldmann.

What I don't recall is which interview was that, but I remember it pretty clearly.

That's what I remember hearing.  Hey I'm Sorry was part of the tossed batch pre Feldmann and then taken to it's douche level with Feldmann later, but apparently early on with BTD & Left Alone it was revisited and given its artistic touch of 'whoas' and more standardized chorus.

I seems pretty obvious to me.  Hey I'm sorry lyrics don't fit any of the rest of the album lyrics while BTD and Left Alone do.

Just now, NJansaid said:

That's what I remember hearing.  Hey I'm Sorry was part of the tossed batch and then taken to it's douche level with Feldmann later, but apparently early on with BTD & Left Alone

Then you're making up things too, mate. ?

Anyway. I'm trying to find where they said that Hey I'm Sorry was the one song that survived from their first writing/demoing sessions, the ones they wrote before they hired Feldmann, and how then they re-worked on it being the one which survived Feldmann's filter, because for Feldy, they sounded too polarized (Mark or Travis said something like this too). As someone said, I think it was a podcast, or some radio interview. I'm not sure. For the '30 songs' thing, the quote is in this article/interview. Literally they say they had 30 songs before hitting the studio with Feldmann, and then they just wrote 26 new ones with him (from which we can conclude they pretty much scrapped all that material except for Hey I'm Sorry):

[...]Before long, they had 30 songs in the bank, but little idea of what to do with them.

[...]In three months with John Feldmann, they wrote 26 new songs, some of which make up new album ‘California’.

Ugh just re-read this article looking for info on Hey I'm Sorry, I like Cali and definitely think it was the better approach for a comeback album with a new member, but like most I'd love to hear the early songs that were scrapped:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-blink-182-california

"There must have been a sense of something being missing, or not quite working out, because early in 2016, Barker contacted Feldmann for feedback. The result was an instant and dramatic change of direction.

I first met Travis in 1997 or 1998, when he was in Aquabats, the band he played in before he joined Blink, and supporting Goldfinger. Early 2015 Travis felt that Blink weren’t quite hitting the mark with their new songs, and invited me for a meeting with the band and a listen to the songs. I told them what I thought of the music, and suggested they come over to my studio to try to write a song. That next day we did the first single, ‘Bored To Death’, together! We continued working together from there, and that eventually turned into the new album. We started all songs from scratch, because I did not want to go in and try to rebuild pieces of art that already existed. I don’t think Mark, Matt and Travis are capable of writing bad songs, what with all the experience between them, but the songs Matt had written sounded like Alkaline Trio, and the songs Mark was singing like [Barker and Hoppus’s side project] +44. None of it sounded like Blink. My job was to bring them back to who they were, which is the pop-punk band of 20-odd years ago."

If I see any of them out this weekend I'll try to remember to ask.

• Like 2

https://www.himynameismark.com/blogs/blog/117012101-podcast-ep-9-the-feldmann-interview

19:30

Mark - We ended up not using any of the 30 songs we had played you in the studio that day

Feldy - Just to stop you there, I know you've been saying that a lot but it's not true- well it is true! "Sorry" didn't get used!

Mark - No, that's right!

Feldy - "Sorry" was the one that we salvaged!

Mark - Yeah, and that will probably be on the EP, or another thing that comes out in the future.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

https://www.himynameismark.com/blogs/blog/117012101-podcast-ep-9-the-feldmann-interview

19:30

Mark - We ended up not using any of the 30 songs we had played you in the studio that day

Feldy - Just to stop you there, I know you've been saying that a lot but it's not true- well it is true! "Sorry" didn't get used!

Mark - No, that's right!

Feldy - "Sorry" was the one that we salvaged!

Mark - Yeah, and that will probably be on the EP, or another thing that comes out in the future.

giphy.gif

Thanks for making it up, mate.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Fan fiction/conspiracy theory of the day:

The pre-Feldman songs were great but Feldman only scrapped them because he couldn’t get the co-writer credit/income on songs written before he came onboard.

It's not that far fetched. Feldmann went from offering feedback on some songs to becoming producer, co-writer, 4th member of the band in seconds.

• Like 3

I’m starting to think Boxcar Racer could make a comeback.

Travis still being friends with Tom lends credence to this idea. Tom’s speculated financial woes could also support it, as Travis strikes me as the type of guy that would help out a friend in need like Tom (like when the Sound Garden bassist went broke so they reunited for a tour to help him out). Travis could also probably hammer out the drums in a few weeks, so it wouldn’t be a huge commitment. Not saying they would tour or anything, but I could see an EP or album in the next few years.