The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

19 hours ago, Regi. said:

Always thought this was a cool video

tom's rig looks so cool but the choices they made are absolutely dumb.

so they changed to combos because they loved the sound of them. in fact, they loved that combo sound so much that they chose to just detach the thing that is probably around 40% responsible for the combo sound: the speakers. because travis is sooo loud and they get too much bleed in the mics.

yeah, because other rock drummers don't hit the drums hard? get outta here! that video bugs the shit outta me.

also doug needs to lay down the bk.... he walks about 10 feet in that video and is constantly out of breath

• Like 2

Sounds like electronic drums to me, similar to the ones in the first verse of Los Angeles and parts of Bottom of the Ocean. I do think in the California songs, the drumming style makes it obvious that it's Travis. But the tones are completely different to everything blink has ever done when it comes to drums. They've all mentioned they usually use trigger programs for drums when it comes to recording other bands but that they never used it for Travis cause he's that good.

The autotune on that song is horrific though. Dunno why some vocalists like having it sound obvious. I find it annoying when I hear those bends from one note to another note. Distracting as fuck. Rather listen to raw & dry vocals that sound inconsistent than listen to obvious autotuned shit like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

tom's rig looks so cool but the choices they made are absolutely dumb.

so they changed to combos because they loved the sound of them. in fact, they loved that combo sound so much that they chose to just detach the thing that is probably around 40% responsible for the combo sound: the speakers. because travis is sooo loud and they get too much bleed in the mics.

yeah, because other rock drummers don't hit the drums hard? get outta here! that video bugs the shit outta me.

also doug needs to lay down the bk.... he walks about 10 feet in that video and is constantly out of breath

Agreed. But its still fun to see his rig. 

In like 2004-5 i tried so fucking hard to find out what that pedal board was. Was impossible. I think its a bad move to take a DI Out signal instead of using mics. When he had mesa and mics it was 1000x better. 

• Like 2

"Why Are We So Broken" was actually randomly stuck in my head the other day, but it did indeed originate at Feldy's and then Aoki took it over:

Why Are We So Broken" feat. blink-182
Why are we so broken in a typical blink-182 song title. They're just witty, and they always have a dark twist to their lyrics. As you sing along, you realize you're singing along to is some weird lyrics - always. I love this song. There is so much vocal interplay between Mark Hoppus and Matt Skiba on the song. They sing back and forth constantly on this one, and they do such a good job vocally, but the lyrics are in the true blink-182 style. If you love blink-182, you'll just automatically latch on to the lyrics and the melodies. The melodies are 100 percent trademark blink, and you hear Travis drums on there. He's my favorite drummer of all time. This collaboration started in John Feldmann's studio, working with blink. I brought to my studio, and my goal was to really make sure that both sides of the genres are represented as much as possible. I want everyone to hear the bass, the guitar, the harmonies, the vocals, the drums; all that stuff. The hard part is mixing both sides, the electronics side and the live side. It's more difficult than you think, and it really took a long time 'till we finally got it. It's in an incredible place of mixing both cultures. Also, I grew up listening to blink. I've always wanted collaboration with blink. I've worked with Travis since 2010 on various ideas ... but we never got to the point of doing a blink song, so I'm just so happy we finally got to that point.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

new documentary coming out about the Fyre Festival debacle haha. I wonder if there will be any interviews with Blink or any of the other artists who almost got conned into going.

This has the potential to be awesome. This whole thing was such a shit show, and was just really bizarre. I remember seeing on Reddit a live Twitter update with someone that was there and holy shit it was just a series of disappointments. Such a bait and switch move. I'm actually really excited to watch this documentary. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, andyscott182 said:

This is kind of blink related but I have a cousin who’s tattooing at musink and the word is Boxcar racer is playing. I wanna post this on social media but at the same time I don’t want to get roasted if true lol. And or get my cousin kicked out from tattooing that event ?

The same event Tom got kicked outta blink? Not that I don't believe you. I want to believe.

4 hours ago, andyscott182 said:

This is kind of blink related but I have a cousin who’s tattooing at musink and the word is Boxcar racer is playing. I wanna post this on social media but at the same time I don’t want to get roasted if true lol. And or get my cousin kicked out from tattooing that event ?

Hah!! That would be amazingly weird. Pure poetry.

Tom and Travis WERE talking quite frequently not too long ago. Oooh, and then Mark can come on and sing Elevator. Then they reunite, kick out Skiba and Feldmann and come out with a not bad Blink album before 4 or 5 nostalgia tours and calling it a day.