The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

13 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Violence in this world will never end, so their love was like violence.

Hmm, I like to think this. Only thing that makes sense, sort of, that instead of spread violence, spread love instead, which works for that song, not really song Violence.

13 hours ago, Kay said:

'Spread love like violence' and 'like violence you have me forever and after' etc is just meaningless. I am pretty sure Tom just likes certain words so he re-uses them a lot. 

Yeah, I think it's more this. Which is fine and very Tom.

• Like 1

To be honest, I've never even took any notice of the musicianship side of that song haha so I never thought of that solo being based around a major scale. I know the major scales and minor scales as do most musicians, just i'm someone that totally ignores that shit when writing my own songs or listening to another bands song. I always judge a riff or a solo based on how catchy it is rather than complexity or the musicianship side of it. Carousel is one of those songs that I've literally had in my head since the day I first listened to the song. It's the song that defines early blink IMO. There's a reason it's been a live staple for so long.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

To be honest, I've never even took any notice of the musicianship side of that song haha so I never thought of that solo being based around a major scale. I know the major scales and minor scales as do most musicians, just i'm someone that totally ignores that shit when writing my own songs or listening to another bands song. I always judge a riff or a solo based on how catchy it is rather than complexity or the musicianship side of it. Carousel is one of those songs that I've literally had in my head since the day I first listened to the song. It's the song that defines early blink IMO. There's a reason it's been a live staple for so long.

Yeah personally I couldn't give a shit either, if it sounds good it's good - it's punk ultimately, we're talking 3 chord songs, them reusing scales is no major deal.

• Like 2

I don't mean to rag on Davey cause I like his posts a lot, but it is kind of funny that he's simultaneously a former diehard/current Blink historian AND someone who sees music as math and is bothered by simple melodies and chord progressions. Just interesting how he came to love Blink and punk music if that very type of music seems to get under his skin haha. Oh yeah AND he doesn't like Untitled, which is by far their most outside-the-box album. You're a mystery, Davey!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

I don't mean to rag on Davey cause I like his posts a lot, but it is kind of funny that he's simultaneously a former diehard/current Blink historian AND someone who sees music as math and is bothered by simple melodies and chord progressions. Just interesting how he came to love Blink and punk music if that very type of music seems to get under his skin haha. Oh yeah AND he doesn't like Untitled, which is by far their most outside-the-box album. You're a mystery, Davey!

The only time I get annoyed about chord progressions is when they overuse it on an album. Blink overused it for singles which doesn't bother me but if they're using the same chord progression that's heard on the album it annoys the hell out of me. California has that chord progression way too much. Sum 41 overused it on one of their albums too. Might've been that Underclass Hero album. Been ages since I've listened to it so I can't really remember.

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

The only time I get annoyed about chord progressions is when they overuse it on an album. Blink overused it for singles which doesn't bother me but if they're using the same chord progression that's heard on the album it annoys the hell out of me. California has that chord progression way too much. Sum 41 overused it on one of their albums too. Might've been that Underclass Hero album. Been ages since I've listened to it so I can't really remember.

Oh yeah of course, if you use anything too much it loses its effect and Blink has toed that line here and there for sure. Like the riff that they used however many times on California. But if I remember right Davey has said things like "Feeling This and Dammit are basically the same song" which, I mean... come on man. hahah (sorry if I'm mistaken and misquoting you Davey)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, those two are the same chord progressions but totally different songs. One has hip hop drums with alt rock/pop punk styled guitars and the other is just a straight forward beat with more punk rock guitars. One has call & response style of yelling whilst the other has a more melodic style of singing with a punk rock edge to it. One has flanger effects on the drums and a completely different production method whilst the other has a basic style of production. One is more polished and the other is way more rough sounding. Those two songs couldn't be anymore different.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Champ182 said:

he's simultaneously a former diehard/current Blink historian AND someone who sees music as math and is bothered by simple melodies and chord progressions.

that's a totally fair way to say it. although when i say "yada yada that's the same as whatever" i am totally doing it tongue in cheek.

one thing from a thread a few years back, which i will totally stand behind, is that no rock band (in any subgenre of rock) has built more songs around I–V–vi–IV than blink. they have the record for singles, and they have the record for songs in aggregate. which, sure, who cares.

on the other hand, there's not a lazier way in the world to get rich. one key to being a successful pop artist is to rewrite the same material over and over again as your audience grows (so people can fall in love with the "sound" of the hit single on the first album, and then an entirely new group of people who hadn't heard the band can fall in love with that same "sound" two albums later) but in a way in which only people who play music can perceive the nuanced differences.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, those two are the same chord progressions but totally different songs. One has hip hop drums with alt rock/pop punk styled guitars and the other is just a straight forward beat with more punk rock guitars. One has call & response style of yelling whilst the other has a more melodic style of singing with a punk rock edge to it. One has flanger effects on the drums and a completely different production method whilst the other has a basic style of production. One is more polished and the other is way more rough sounding. Those two songs couldn't be anymore different.

I would say that has more to do with how they recorded the song than songwriting. If you played Dammit in the same style as Feeling This and vice versa I'm sure they would sound very different though.

1 hour ago, thongrider said:

I would say that has more to do with how they recorded the song than songwriting. If you played Dammit in the same style as Feeling This and vice versa I'm sure they would sound very different though.

I agree with you on the flanger effects and production methods haha. Now you put it like that, you've tempted me to listen to the Feeling This instrumental whilst I hum out the Dammit vocal melodies. Sounds weird now that I'm hearing it in my head haha.