The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

21 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Can't stand She's Out of Her Mind. Instrumentally it's ok. Literally sounds like TOYPAJ blink that song. But the lyrics are god damn awful and I hate the anti social line. And the woahs are just annoying.

Well, I have to agree with this, though.

• Like 1

I hate the song violently but I actually think I hate a handful of tracks on deluxe even more than She's Out Of Her Mind, and when California released I didn't think I could hate anything more. blink are great at setting the bar lower and lower. 

i like SOOHM. i don't know how to defend it or explain it. i just think it succeeds at being the catchiest thing blink's ever put out, and i guess because it SO rips off rock show/first date it connects me back to then, and so i can find it more tolerable. it's one of my favorite songs from cali, but one of the few

When it comes to California, these are how I rate the tracks

Amazing
Long Lost Feeling
Los Angeles
Bored to Death
San Diego
Bottom of the Ocean

Good
Last Train Home
HISALP
6/8 (the talking part in the bridge ruins it for me)
Misery

Decent
Left Alone (the woahs ruined an otherwise good song)
The Only Thing That Matters
Hey I'm Sorry (the verses and the pre chorus are as good as +44 but the chorus and bridge ruin it loads)

Average
Cynical
Good Old Days (lyrics stop this from being good)
Kings of the Weekend (the shit lyrics turn this song from amazing to average),

Shit
She's Out of Her Mind
Teenage Satellites
No Future (the singing intro is the only thing I like about this song, the rest is shit)
Rabbit Hole
California

Fucking Disgrace
Sober (I like the Make You Smile/Postal Service vibe in the verses but the rest of the song is a disgrace)

Songs that should've been burnt in the fire after being written on Mark/Skiba's notepads
Parking Lot
Don't Mean Anything
Wildfire
Sober (gonna include this for the pile of crap nananas even though this is a better song than the other 3, the verses are ruined by the gang vocals too)

SOOHM is an interesting one because it's not a huge misfire or anything, like Ghent said it has a similar sound to Enema/TOYPAJ era Blink and that's clearly what they were aiming for with that song. But it also kinda sounds like a Broadway showtune or something haha. Same with No Future. Just a kinda strange and different type of poppiness than the era they were trying to emulate.

Just now, Champ182 said:

SOOHM is an interesting one because it's not a huge misfire or anything, like Ghent said it has a similar sound to Enema/TOYPAJ era Blink and that's clearly what they were aiming for with that song. But it also kinda sounds like a Broadway showtune or something haha. Just kinda strange.

Its because it's overproduced, a lot of California is like that and I think that's people's biggest problem with it. It's not necessarily a bad thing, there's just a lot of fluff there, where as Blink usually has it toned down a bit, even with Tom's shitty insistence on using synth for everything. 

My only complaint with SOOHM is the "Bauhaus" reference. I had no clue who they were (still really don't, but at least know it's a band), and given that the song was made for radio play, not sure if that demographic does either? In which case, it's just a weird part of a fairly catchy chorus IMO. I think they kinda missed the mark on that and really showed their age, while really trying not to...

Would love to hear the several other choruses they went through before settling on that one.

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

My only complaint with SOOHM is the "Bauhaus" reference. I had no clue who they were (still really don't, but at least know it's a band), and given that the song was made for radio play, not sure if that demographic does either? In which case, it's just a weird part of a fairly catchy chorus IMO. I think they kinda missed the mark on that and really showed their age, while really trying not to...

Would love to hear the several other choruses they went through before settling on that one.

It's for the best, Bauhaus sucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

It's for the best, Bauhaus sucks.

Lol. It just seems if you are going to name drop a band in a song, it should make the song catchier or make people recognize it even more. Not think, what is a bowerhouse? Ball house? 

Like that stupid "Stay, play that Blink-182 song, that we beat to death in Tuscon" Chainsmokers song. Hate the song but it gets stuck in my head because of the catchy name drop. If they said "Stay, play that (insert band from 40 years ago no one listening to the radio knows) song", I wouldn't even know the song. Same with that crappy Kid Rock song "singing Sweet Home Alabama all summmerrrrr long" . That song reference is the only reason I know that song.

Just seems like they got all excited thinking everyone would get the reference, and it fell flat. Could be wrong, maybe everyone knows Bauhaus and I'm the exception. But it's just weird, especially in a chorus of what is supposed to be a single that is aimed towards pop radio (which younger people listen to). If it was in a verse on a B-side, whatever.

• Like 1