The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

14 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

My sarcasm sucks. And I'll never be able to play any instrument. But my previous comment is mostly wrong because the songs Matt can't play is mostly preexisting Tom songs, correct? Anyways, shitty joke on my end.

For the record, it made me chuckle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whales said:

For the record, it made me chuckle.

Well that made my day.

39 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

He screws up Alkaline Trio songs and routinely forgets lyrics, Tom's stuff isn't that special. Skiba gonna Skiba. 

Does he really mess up Trio songs? Asking for a friend.

And Tom, despite being crazy, ruining my favorite band, being drunk off his ass all 3 times I've seen him live, and also forgetting blink songs lyrics live (look up his Down cover with AVA), is somehow still one of my favorite musicians. So maybe his stuff is special.

14 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Does he really mess up Trio songs? Asking for a friend.

Yup, they played a song off their new album the other day and he didn't know the entire second verse. 

From /r/alkalinetrio:

"If I went to a blink/trio show and Matt didn't get the words wrong I would be legally entitled to a refund"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yup, they played a song off their new album the other day and he didn't know the entire second verse. 

From /r/alkalinetrio:

"If I went to a blink/trio show and Matt didn't get the words wrong I would be legally entitled to a refund"

I mean it's a new song, but still. Could just use a teleprompter. I jest.

Still I think it'd be hard to memorize a song, even if I wrote it. I'm amazed by musicians like Laura Jane Grace who literally has like 800 words in a song on her new album. It's another reason why I admire rappers too. Sometimes they go on and on and it's like, well fuck, how do they perform that?

10 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

I mean it's a new song, but still. Could just use a teleprompter. I jest.

Still I think it'd be hard to memorize a song, even if I wrote it. I'm amazed by musicians like Laura Jane Grace who literally has like 800 words in a song on her new album. It's another reason why I admire rappers too. Sometimes they go on and on and it's like, well fuck, how do they perform that?

I am an Against Me! and LJG superfan, have been since 2003 but her latest album was not very good. The stream of conciousness writing schtick she's been on lately is making for some poor songs. She has always written the songs as poems first and then worked them into songs but its like she stopped doing the second part on a lot of the songs and everything just has the same rapid meter to it. Andrew is back in AM! now though, I'm hoping it's a return to form.

Sorry, I know that had nothing to do with the point you're making ... memorizing words is easy enough once you memorize the flow of them. The same way you memorize words in songs ... I haven't heard NoFX's Decline in probably close to 10 years but I can still sing it word for word without the song playing. Its just memorizing melody and flow.

i dont think its that bad of matt to forget alkaline songs. it's his band, he can do what he wants. 

but beeing offered a gig like touring the world with blink and having the nerve to step on stage an butchering classic riffs of their repertoire is just pure ignorance

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

i dont think its that bad of matt to forget alkaline songs. it's his band, he can do what he wants. 

but beeing offered a gig like touring the world with blink and having the nerve to step on stage an butchering classic riffs of their repertoire is just pure ignorance

Seems pretty lame and embarrassing either way, but ESPECIALLY at Alkaline shows. I sing in a band and don't play nearly as often as professionals but if I forget a line it's mortifying. And that's with the knowledge that NOBODY else knows the words or notices that I fucked up! Haha. If I forget the words it's a sign that the song was too new to play and I needed to spend more time committing it to memory before playing it live again. I can't imagine being a professional with tons of fans and still forgetting the words onstage.

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Seems pretty lame and embarrassing either way, but ESPECIALLY at Alkaline shows. I sing in a band and don't play nearly as often as professionals but if I forget a line it's mortifying. And that's with the knowledge that NOBODY else knows the words or notices that I fucked up! Haha. If I forget the words it's a sign that the song was too new to play and I needed to spend more time committing it to memory before playing it live again. I can't imagine being a professional with tons of fans and still forgetting the words onstage.

We had a bassist once that we spent 3 months practicing with, teaching the songs, getting them down, building chemistry, etc. The first and only show with him he played 3/4 of the first song, forgot the bridge and stood there watching me like an idiot. The drummer and I finished off the set the best we could and then had an audience member come up and play bass for some Ramones covers while the loser stood off to the side of the stage looking like a dope. After seeing that I can forgive most any and all mistakes made live by any professional musician.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny though, Skiba has been forgetting and changing lyrics since YEAR ZERO in AK3. Something that fans never cared about.

But, somehow, some people are still not able to distinguish between the fact that Skiba may change or forget some words in some songs from time to time on AK3, and the fact that Skiba, being a new member of blink-182 , not only needs a teleprompter too often -which, to be fair, I don't care about, as long as there was a ton of words to learn-, but is still not able to play the WMAA intro correctly, for example, which to me is the worse thing of it all, taking in count that is one of the guitar 101 learning riffs that any kid on high school is able to play correctly.