The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I've never been bothered about his mistakes in live performances. It's punk rock. In fact I find it more entertaining when they make mistakes. Tom made countless of them every gig. I'm more bothered about Skiba's guitar tones. Tom's guitar tones in the recent years have been kinda crap but Skiba's guitar tones are horrendous IMO. Doesn't help that the live mixing is really shite nowadays too. Think the Las Vegas show in 2011 was the last blink show with decent mixing in it.

I saw Alkaline Trio live a few months back and they were fantastic. With that said, I'm not anywhere close to as familiar with Alkaline's music as I am blink's, so he could have been messing up the entire time and I didn't even realize it.

But also, I almost never notice mistakes (unless they're huge ones) when I'm actually at a concert. It's easy to catch mistakes on shitty YouTube videos, but when I'm actually there at the show I never notice. The two times I saw AVA live I thought they sounded amazing even though they sound like shit in every YouTube video. When I saw blink with Matt I didn't notice any mistakes even though there probably were a lot.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

I am an Against Me! and LJG superfan, have been since 2003 but her latest album was not very good. The stream of conciousness writing schtick she's been on lately is making for some poor songs. She has always written the songs as poems first and then worked them into songs but its like she stopped doing the second part on a lot of the songs and everything just has the same rapid meter to it. Andrew is back in AM! now though, I'm hoping it's a return to form.

Sorry, I know that had nothing to do with the point you're making ... memorizing words is easy enough once you memorize the flow of them. The same way you memorize words in songs ... I haven't heard NoFX's Decline in probably close to 10 years but I can still sing it word for word without the song playing. Its just memorizing melody and flow.

Yeah I love Against Me! I personally think they peaked with the Transgender Dysphoria Blues, a near perfect album in my book, but I see Bought to Rot as a bounceback to Shapeahift With Me. Though there were a few gems on that album. I like how Laura switched up the lyrics styles personally. Born in Black is good, I Hate Chicago is extremely relatable if you moved to Chicago and are currently stuck there (like I did).

Anyways the journal excerpts in Laura's autobiography Tranny definitely shed light to some of the lyrics of the past, that's for sure. We'll see what Against Me! does with their next album though. I wouldn't mind a blend of past and current styles. 

11 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Yeah I love Against Me! I personally think they peaked with the Transgender Dysphoria Blues, a near perfect album in my book, but I see Bought to Rot as a bounceback to Shapeahift With Me. Though there were a few gems on that album. I like how Laura switched up the lyrics styles personally. Born in Black is good, I Hate Chicago is extremely relatable if you moved to Chicago and are currently stuck there (like I did).

Anyways the journal excerpts in Laura's autobiography Tranny definitely shed light to some of the lyrics of the past, that's for sure. We'll see what Against Me! does with their next album though. I wouldn't mind a blend of past and current styles. 

I enjoy the hell out of TDB but some of the songs felt a little unfinished. Paralytic States, for example, is one of my favorite songs on that album but it's not ended well. There's a lot of little things like that on that album and it takes me out of it sometimes. 

Bought to Rot just felt like a continuation of what I hated about Shapeshift and, outside of a few songs I couldn't get into it.

I haven't read the book, honestly, I'm not really super interested in it. I got pretty burnt out on her being trans. I'm happy for her but it's getting to be like hanging around a vegan who makes everything about being vegan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I'm not a huge Against Me! fan but that is an absolutely incredible album

Agreed. Up there with Untitled for me. One of my all time favorites.

5 hours ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

I enjoy the hell out of TDB but some of the songs felt a little unfinished. Paralytic States, for example, is one of my favorite songs on that album but it's not ended well. There's a lot of little things like that on that album and it takes me out of it sometimes. 

Bought to Rot just felt like a continuation of what I hated about Shapeshift and, outside of a few songs I couldn't get into it.

I haven't read the book, honestly, I'm not really super interested in it. I got pretty burnt out on her being trans. I'm happy for her but it's getting to be like hanging around a vegan who makes everything about being vegan.

I mean according to an interview I read I think TDB was recorded at a ton of different studios, Frankensteined together much like I imagine Neighborhoods was. So that might explain the lack in audio quality. Even Laura mentioned being unsatisfied with the final product. Honestly New Age is what I listen to least these days. Laura wasn't being 100% honest in her music back when she was Tom Gabel and it definitely feels a little...pandering, perhaps? Like they were just trying to get on MTV or something.

As for the trans thing, TDB was a concept album about a transgender prostitute so most of the songs went with theme of the album. I don't think there's many songs on Bought to Rot that deal with those themes at all. In fact I was kinda surprised. So not entirely sure what you mean by that comment, unless you're only referring to TDB and Shapeshift With Me.

Either way, to each their own. At least we both enjoy Against Me!

8 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Agreed. Up there with Untitled for me. One of my all time favorites.

I mean according to an interview I read I think TDB was recorded at a ton of different studios, Frankensteined together much like I imagine Neighborhoods was. So that might explain the lack in audio quality. Even Laura mentioned being unsatisfied with the final product. Honestly New Age is what I listen to least these days. Laura wasn't being 100% honest in her music back when she was Tom Gabel and it definitely feels a little...pandering, perhaps? Like they were just trying to get on MTV or something.

As for the trans thing, TDB was a concept album about a transgender prostitute so most of the songs went with theme of the album. I don't think there's many songs on Bought to Rot that deal with those themes at all. In fact I was kinda surprised. So not entirely sure what you mean by that comment, unless you're only referring to TDB and Shapeshift With Me.

Either way, to each their own. At least we both enjoy Against Me!

Were you a fan during the transition from Eternal to Searching to New Wave?

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

Mark’s ego with blink and inability to laugh at themselves makes me guess that’s gonna be a no.

It's funny how he can't take a joke when someone makes fun of blink, but yet he makes fun of every pop music song that was on the radio at the time with the all the small things music video, outdated example yes but it still has some leverage.

1 hour ago, Thejeffster02 said:

It's funny how he can't take a joke when someone makes fun of blink, but yet he makes fun of every pop music song that was on the radio at the time with the all the small things music video, outdated example yes but it still has some leverage.

Why can't Mark take a joke?  Haven't kept up lately, but I've never seen anything that made me think he can't laugh at himself or the band. 

• Like 2

i feel like joking about fyre could be a cut too deep type of thing. they were booked for the gig, the band were aware of what it was and purported to be, and were stoked to play an area they'd never played and make some nice change (the fact notwithstanding that blink was an outlier at that festival already). then it became this whole joke and they pulled out, but it's still probably an embarrassing situation they went along with it in the first place. that and the fact that they were somehow involved makes them look like rich, out-of-touch rockstars