The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 minute ago, Mos Eisley said:

It's not... it's just as bad. I have never liked The Ramones, they have always been overrated hacks in my eyes. What does that song have to do with what we're talking about? We're talking about a song in one bands discography compared to the rest of it. There is an endless number of punk bands with cringy lyrics, but we're not talking about them. It's irrelevant to this discussion. 

You shut your blasphemous fucking mouth or I will find a way to shut it for you.

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

The Ramones have gotta be one of the most overrated bands there is. They are in the same class as The Offspring for me. Annoying and bad!

You don't get a vote as you're cum drunk on California.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Speedo said:

You shut your blasphemous fucking mouth or I will find a way to shut it for you.

Come at me, bae. ^_^

4 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

Did someone really just say +44 was forced?

Like, stab yourself.

And we'll be beaten down without mercy or meaning
I turn my face to a careless skyline
I'm searching hard for a sign from heaven
But they've forgotten me here

Sex, fuck, and fluorescent lighting
A hollow point on an angry bullet
We're on the teeth of a crocodile
We're in the mouth of the gun

And sometimes at night I feel I'm just a broken vessel
An instrument with a darker purpose
I'm at the throat of the young and the helpless
Cause they've got nothing to say

Yeah, not forced at all. Every single word is natural lyrics to write and not a bunch of gibberish that's trying hard to sound clever. I didn't even have to move past the first song.

39 minutes ago, Mos Eisley said:

It's not... it's just as bad. I have never liked The Ramones, they have always been overrated hacks in my eyes. What does that song have to do with what we're talking about? We're talking about a song in one bands discography compared to the rest of it. There is an endless number of punk bands with cringy lyrics, but we're not talking about them. It's irrelevant to this discussion. 

I'm comparing it to something The Ramones would do, you compared the song to something Good Charlotte would do. It's all punk rock and frankly, why are you a fan of blink 182 if you can't handle these lyrics? I mean, I would say 80% of their lyrics are in line with this. I guess you can't keep up with your own logic on that, but yeah, why even bring up Good Charlotte? If it's so irrelevant?

28 minutes ago, Mos Eisley said:

Come at me, bae. ^_^

And we'll be beaten down without mercy or meaning
I turn my face to a careless skyline
I'm searching hard for a sign from heaven
But they've forgotten me here

Sex, fuck, and fluorescent lighting
A hollow point on an angry bullet
We're on the teeth of a crocodile
We're in the mouth of the gun

And sometimes at night I feel I'm just a broken vessel
An instrument with a darker purpose
I'm at the throat of the young and the helpless
Cause they've got nothing to say

Yeah, not forced at all. Every single word is natural lyrics to write and not a bunch of gibberish that's trying hard to sound clever. I didn't even have to move past the first song.

Out of curiosity, have you ever written a song?

Mark's always had some fucking odd approaches to lyrics. case and point - 

Never found out why you left him
But this answer begs a question
Too blind to see tomorrow
Too broke to beg or borrow
Young and stupid, left wide open
Hearts are wasted, lives are broken
One more point of contention
I need some intervention
Approaching failing tensions
Betray my short attention span
The distance, bridge the border
Beg forgiveness, round the corner

You're cold with disappointment
While I'm drowning in the next room
The last contagious victim of this plague between us
I'm sick with apprehension
I'm crippled from exhaustion
And I dread the moment when you finally come to kill me

I remember shots without a chaser
Absentminded thoughts, now you're a stranger
Cover up the scars put on your gameface

Man on a mission, can't say I miss him around
Insider information, hand in your resignation
Loss of a good friend best of intentions I found
Tight lipped procrastination
Yeah later, see you around

the dude has frequently tried to use bigger words, over explain, or have odd approaches to metaphors. a lot of his stuff post +44 continues that trend, even on California "Sometimes I feel like I'm the oxygen between
The cigarette and gasoline".

If it was out of character I'd call it forced, but it isn't - it's just when he's writing more serious stuff. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I'm comparing it to something The Ramones would do, you compared the song to something Good Charlotte would do. It's all punk rock and frankly, why are you a fan of blink 182 if you can't handle these lyrics? I mean, I would say 80% of their lyrics are in line with this. I guess you can't keep up with your own logic on that, but yeah, why even bring up Good Charlotte? If it's so irrelevant?

I mentioned them because it's something that I would expect to hear from another band, the subject and way it's written to me doesn't sound like it belongs. It's a poorly written song and I expected better. I expect better especially when they already have 2 songs that are much more in line with that albums tone. It sounds like a song somebody wrote when they just discovered skate punk and are trying super hard to be edgy. You brought up The Ramones saying how is it different than Tom's lyrics, which I said it wasn't any different. But I still can't figure out how that cringy song somehow would make those lyrics any better or more acceptable to me.

What do you mean why am I a blink fan? Because I think one song on a popular album is terrible and poorly written? Do I need to praise everything up to Untitled in order to be a fan?

8 minutes ago, Kay said:

Mark's always had some fucking odd approaches to lyrics. case and point - 

the dude has frequently tried to use bigger words, over explain, or have odd approaches to metaphors. a lot of his stuff post +44 continues that trend, even on California "Sometimes I feel like I'm the oxygen between
The cigarette and gasoline".

If it was out of character I'd call it forced, but it isn't - it's just when he's writing more serious stuff. 

Yeah, you have a point there. But you have to admit that it's very amplified on WYHSB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghent said:
3 hours ago, Mos Eisley said:

At least it's actually somewhat relatable to people in their teenage years, unlike GMOGR. Nothing about that song is interesting in the slightest besides maybe the interlude/bridge. I don't even see how you can like it due to nostalgia, I thought the song was garbage when I bought it on it's release day and I was 12... I mean, dude, a 25 year old man wrote these lyrics:

Hate the jocks the preps, the hippie fucking scum bags
Heavy metalers with their awful pussy hair bands

I will give you that Time To Break Up is much better than Don't Tell Me That It's Over, though.

Hating jocks and preps, hippies and metalers is timeless!

2 hours ago, Kay said:

I never minded that line. because I did hate the jocks, the preps, the hippies and the heavy metallers. I was the kid who hated everybody, the song (chorus especially) suited me a lot in school and I found it comforting. I love the song more musically and melodically than lyrically and it sure as hell is not something I'd get into now if I'd never heard it before now but back then I rocked it. 

I think they've written much cringier stuff, years since. 40 year olds singing about being teenage satellites is bloody appalling. 

Agree with most of this, except I've always interpreted TS as a song about nostalgia, which I think is nice.