The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

7 minutes ago, Mos Eisley said:

I mentioned them because it's something that I would expect to hear from another band, the subject and way it's written to me doesn't sound like it belongs. It's a poorly written song and I expected better. I expect better especially when they already have 2 songs that are much more in line with that albums tone. It sounds like a song somebody wrote when they just discovered skate punk and are trying super hard to be edgy. You brought up The Ramones saying how is it different than Tom's lyrics, which I said it wasn't any different. But I still can't figure out how that cringy song somehow would make those lyrics any better or more acceptable to me.

What do you mean why am I a blink fan? Because I think one song on a popular album is terrible and poorly written? Do I need to praise everything up to Untitled in order to be a fan?

No you don't, but I would feel like most of the discography (including some of Untitled) must be hard to listen to. Frankly your only critique (beyond vague "it's poorly written") is that it's fake punk (good charlotte, hot topic) and I proved that perhaps the band with the most punk cred ever (I could of easily just went with Descendants) has similar "bad" lyrics. My point is that your observation is shallow at best. I would of expected it from a 13 year old trying to edge themselves around internet forums, but I assume you're a bit older.

• Like 1

Have they ever released the Enema nurse as a decal or cut out sticker before?

14 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

No you don't, but I would feel like most of the discography (including some of Untitled) must be hard to listen to. Frankly your only critique (beyond vague "it's poorly written") is that it's fake punk (good charlotte, hot topic) and I proved that perhaps the band with the most punk cred ever (I could of easily just went with Descendants) has similar "bad" lyrics. My point is that your observation is shallow at best. I would of expected it from a 13 year old trying to edge themselves around internet forums, but I assume you're a bit older.

Every line in the song sounds awkward, unnatural, and slapped together to me. Both in it's lyrics and vocal delivery. The melody is mediocre at best and it just doesn't sound right to me. I've disliked the song since '01 but I'm not trying to talk anybody out of liking the song. It's not about it sounding like or not sounding like real punk, as a song regardless of it's genre category is a bad song to me. It sounds like he was trying too hard with making the song sound edgy and that is embarrassing to me. Why is that a problem for you?

I'm not trying to be edgy, I'm just saying what I dislike. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough, but you seem to be taking me not liking one song on TOYPAJ personally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mos Eisley said:

Have they ever released the Enema nurse as a decal or cut out sticker before?

Every line in the song sounds awkward, unnatural, and slapped together to me. Both in it's lyrics and vocal delivery. The melody is mediocre at best and it just doesn't sound right to me. I've disliked the song since '01 but I'm not trying to talk anybody out of liking the song. It's not about it sounding like or not sounding like real punk, as a song regardless of it's genre category is a bad song to me. It sounds like he was trying to hard with making the song sound edgy and that is embarrassing to me. Why is that a problem for you?

I'm not trying to be edgy, I'm just saying what I dislike. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough, but you seem to be taking me not liking one song on TOYPAJ personally. 

I mean that's fine, I just don't think it's that far removed from something an elder punk band might have put out. If you don't enjoy the song because of the specific content and largely that is really my only qualm. 

Really gotta hand it to Tom on those GMOGR lyrics. Straight up, unapologetic, cheesy pandering to sell records to kids.

On behalf of all the pubescent angsty boys struggling to find their place in the early 2000s, I want to say thank you, 26 year old Tom.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Really gotta hand it to Tom on those GMOGR lyrics. Straight up, unapologetic, cheesy pandering to sell records to kids.

On behalf of all the pubescent angsty boys struggling to find their place in the early 2000s, I want to say thank you, 26 year old Tom.

IT'S COOL WHEN THEY PISS PEOPLE OFF WITH WHAT THEY WEAR, OH YEAHHHHHHHH

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

The Ramones suck.

The only band more overrated and bad than the Ramones is the Misfits.  Talk about a band that got famous because of a cool logo and a handful of decent songs. 

(and yes, I got suckered into buying many of those "cool" shirts)

I think the point is if blink had gone from Enema, to TOYPAJ, to California, nobody would have cared or batted an eye. It would have felt normal. But they didn't. They wrote darker and more mature music for fifteen years and then went back to sounding like an All Time Low cover band. That's what's so jarring to everybody, and that's why it feels forced and insincere in comparison.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So you're not going to respond to my giant quoted response and just repeat this opinion with no argument to contrary? How Oli of you. 

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

So you're not going to respond to my giant quoted response and just repeat this opinion with no argument to contrary? How Oli of you. 

Ghent gets passive aggressive when presented with something he can't argue.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I think the point is if blink had gone from Enema, to TOYPAJ, to California, nobody would have cared or batted an eye. It would have felt normal. But they didn't. They wrote darker and more mature music for fifteen years and then went back to sounding like an All Time Low cover band. That's what's so jarring to everybody, and that's why it feels forced and insincere in comparison.

But you also have to factor in that Tom was presumably the only one who wanted to change blink's sound into something darker, and then something experimental. See BCR, see AVA.

For better or worse, Tom was the driving force behind those other sounds, and he wouldn't commit to the band. So when you look at it from that perspective, it makes more sense.

46 minutes ago, Kay said:

I mean it's all subjective opinion. There's no right or wrong. GMOGR and other songs on TOYPAJ are far more disingenuous than anything on California even comes close to. That's just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

But you also have to factor in that Tom was presumably the only one who wanted to change blink's sound into something darker, and then something experimental. See BCR, see AVA.

For better or worse, Tom was the driving force behind those other sounds, and he wouldn't commit to the band. So when you look at it from that perspective, it makes more sense.

See When Your Heart Stops Beating.